Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/11/2003 11:29:51 AM EDT
Before you go there I know what is legal and what is not.

I'm sure that I am not the only one who has run into someone who slaps a pre-ban upper on a post-ban lower. I'm just wondering just how common this practice is? It has been awhile since I have seen it but when I did the person doing it wasn't exactly concerned about what he was doing. His attitude was as follows.
a) It's not illegal to own a pre-ban upper.
b) He only puts it on his post-ban lower at the range.
c) He dosn't store it or transport it attached.
d) So who's going to know.

Obviously he is not in compliance with the law! Without trying to sound like I approve of what he is doing, I can't help but think "what's the harm in doing it" as well as "it's not worth the risk". This whole AW Ban thing is just absurd.

Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:33:47 AM EDT
[#1]
i know alot of ppl that buy preban uppers and put them on postban lowers, BUT they make the upper comply with the law, by hackin off bayo and welding muzzle brake on..other than that i know of NO ONE that puts a preban upper on a postban lower and leaves it alone..that is jus askin for trouble..and the ole anige of WHO WILL KNOW..lol.it only takes one person to know and once that happens, good bye to life as ya know it..it jus isnt worth puttin useless stuff (bayo/flashhider) on a postban,,hack off the bayo and get a good muzzle brake, they work jus as well if not better any how..also as far as your B.puts it on at range..lol..that is where ya would more than likely get busted anyhow..
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Point D notwithstanding, if you have preban uppers but don't have at least one preban lower, the ATF will deem you in possession of a postban assault weapon by virtue that one could be readily assembled.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Unless you want to spend a significant amount of time in a cell "looking for love in all the wrong places", why would you do something so stupid.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 1:41:14 PM EDT
[#4]
there was a guy i went to high school with who was making them like that and selling them.  as of a month ago he is in prison for 21 months on a firearms violation.  unrelated to the AWB but i'm guessing if they would have found one of his specials it wouldn't have helped the situation either.  i've seen people with these on tables at gunshows as well.  if you're going to do it fine..that's your problem to deal with. but don't try and pass it off to someone else for what it's not.

there are also a lot of people who put bayonets on sks rifles too.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
there was a guy i went to high school with who was making them like that and selling them.  as of a month ago he is in prison for 21 months on a firearms violation.  unrelated to the AWB but i'm guessing if they would have found one of his specials it wouldn't have helped the situation either.  i've seen people with these on tables at gunshows as well.  if you're going to do it fine..that's your problem to deal with. but don't try and pass it off to someone else for what it's not.

there are also a lot of people who put bayonets on sks rifles too.  
View Quote

I'm glad to hear of your acquaintence's fate. Like you said it's one thing to risk the consequences yourself, but it is unforgivable to take advantage of each other like that.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 12:38:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Call me crazy but, is a flash hider and a bayonet lug REALLY all that important? I mean is it really "go to jail" important?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 12:55:34 AM EDT
[#7]
As long as one slaps 'em together whilst out in the woods, who's gonna know?  No way in Hell would I think of doing this in any kind of urban/range environment.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 1:07:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Isn't it amazing what you can see at gun shows also!?!  I agree with all the good points voiced here.  One argument I like to impart to my Army buds thinking of smuggling back AW's from deployments: "That POS (<$300 AK) isn't worth losing your Second Amendment right FOREVER!"  Wait to get back and buy a SAR1 if want that POS that bad.  This forum even helped me from buying an illegal AW from a local PAWN shop (FFL holder - NO MORE).  This store was advertising an Olympic PRE-BAN carbine for $1800.  I go in to check it out and the serial number begins with "95-".  I scribbled down the serial and did a google search.  Led me HERE to ARFcom.  Great information.  I called the pawn shop and passed the same info on to him.  He was VERY upset to find out this pieced together carbine wasn't worth what HE paid for it.  A month afterwards he went out of the gun business.  Seems he had a track record of bad gun deals.  Shortly there after I became a bronze member.  THANKS FOR THE GOOD INFO FELLA'S.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top