Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/9/2003 7:59:58 PM EDT
.223 or 5.56?? Ive got a good deal going on an older pre ban.. I own a Bushmaster and 5.56 is ok.. How about an Olympic??
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:20:34 PM EDT
[#1]
All Olys were .223 until about mid 2001 or so. So an older Oly will be .223
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, info will be a big help in my buyin' decision.. John
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:03:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I know ive read this before, but Ive gotta ask, am I safe shooting 5.56 in this gun? I need to give the seller an answer soon, if I am ok I dont want this one to get away..
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 6:37:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Many people have said they've shot 5.56 from a .223 chamber with no issues.  I wouldn't let this deter me from buying a preban.  You can always send it to [url=http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/page/page/8932.htm]Kurt[/url] and have him make it a [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/announcement.html?b=2&f=44&id=164]5.56 NATO chamber[/url]

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:36:55 AM EDT
[#5]
My first Oly was purchased about '88 or so, a Service Match w/ 20" heavy bbl.  A year or two later I bought an Oly carbine, 16" heavy barrel.  I have fired thousands of rounds through them, M193 and M855 ammo, with no problems.  The brass shows NO signs of overpressure, and I have not had any chambering or extraction problems.

I have an Oly Ultramatch (freefloated 1" bull barrel, flattop) purchased about '96.  I have fired 400-500 rnds of M855 through it, again, without problem.

It is just a non-issue.

I would like to refer you to the Armalite site, www.armalite.com, and on the left click to go to the Tech Notes.  There you should read Tech Note 45 dealing with this issue in Armalite rifles, but I believe it is applicable to Oly's, too.

The SAAMI warning was more concerned with firing  NATO spec ammo in other (non military) rifle types that were not designed for the higher pressure of the NATO cartridges.  But the AR15/M16 type barrels ARE suitable for these higher pressure rounds.

Personally, I would be more concerned with firing the newer heavy, long 77-80gr projectiles that might be seated for a longer than normal OAL.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top