Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2003 7:09:44 PM EDT
I'm planning on getting a pre-ban AR 15 and want to make it relatively light and short. Among my wants are a chrome-lined STANDARD (NOT HBAR!) 16" 1/9 barrel. Note that it must be a full 16" barrel (which I will install either an A2 birdcage flashhider or Vortex onto).I do NOT want a 14.5" barrel with a 1.5" muzzle device, but rather a full 16" plus flash  hider.It will be installed on an A3 upper, with current CAR 15 heat-shielded round handguards.

I understand the minor accuracy deficiency that occurs with a chrome lined barrel, but that's what I want. Because of past good experience with Colt models, I prefer a Colt barrel, unless someone can explain why someone else's is better.

My question is then, does Colt even make such an animal, who else might too, and where can I get a good price on one?

While I'm at it, does anyone have suggestions as to where I can get good prices on a FORGED high quality upper that will fit a pre-ban lower, GI handguards, bolt & carrier assemblies, and flash hiders?

I want a telescopic buttstock too, so suggestions and advice as to the best one currently available, preferably 4, 5, or 6 position, are welcome.

I appreciate any help you folks can give me.
Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as barrels go, this may be what you are looking for: [url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/abbl-16sla.asp[/url].

I would say this would be better than Colt because (to my knowledge) Colt does not make many 1/9 twist barrels.  At least I don't see many for sale.

Since you asked about the upper, you could have Bushmaster build you a complete upper with the superlight barrel, upper rcvr, bolt & carrier, charging handle and handguards.  Call them and tell them what you want, they'll build it!

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:46:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you.
I found the "Superlight" barrel in my "Quality Parts" catalog, but it doesn't mention twist rate or whether it's available chrome-lined or not. I also found what BM calls their "Patrolman's Carbine" upper, which is available with a flat top receiver. But that doesn't mention twist rate or whether it's available with chrome lining or not either.

I've been advised that BM no longer chromne lines all of it's AR 15 barrels, so that may be the case, which means I'd have to look elsewhere. I think trying to find a VN era standard weight 16" chrome-lined CAR barrel with an A2 birdcage would be a tall order, and would likely be expensive  

IF I can get either the Superlight or "Patrolman's Carbine" with chrome lining and 1/9 twist rate, my next decision is about balance. The "Patrolman's Carbine" is what BM calls a "stretched M4" 16" barrel, whereas the "Superlight" is basically a straight profile. The M4 might tend to be slightly muzzle heavy, so it may not be suitable for my purposes. Which leaves the 16" Superlight in a factory flat top upper with an A2 birdcage flash hider as my logical choice. IF I can get it with a 1/9 twist and chrome lining.

Thanks again for the response. Any comments on the above questions?  
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:20:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been advised that BM no longer chromne lines all of it's AR 15 barrels, so that may be the case, which means I'd have to look elsewhere.  
View Quote

That only applies to their stainless barrels. It says so on the bottom of their 'barrel' page. The rest are lined, according to the website.

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:27:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks. I didn't go to their web site, just looked in the catalog. Oh, and since my last post, I've learned to spell "chrome".
DUH! The spell-checker in my head cuts out sometimes.

Any idea about the twist rate?
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:42:34 PM EDT
[#5]
most of Bushmaster's barrels are 1:9, colt ltwt barels are available in ltwt 1:9, but lotsa luck finding one.... but here's a pic of mine! (all Colt upper)

[img]http://www.alpharubicon.com/~fixer/images/ltwtcar.jpg[/img]

a few guys have Bushmaster ltwt bbls on the EE board right now. Bushmaster will be CHEAPER than Colt... esaier to find too.

i'd probably just order a complete upper form bushy... except they don't carry the Vortex anymore.

i love the "waffle" stocs, as pictured... only CAR stock i'll use on my rifles, available from several sources.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 12:36:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Any idea about the twist rate?
View Quote

Info is from the BM barrel page. Twist rates can be found in the 'rifling' section. They are 1-in-9.

Bushmaster Barrels... are the finest AR15/M16 type barrels made - machined from Chrome-Moly Vanadium steel - Rockwell C26 to 33 hardened. And we now offer 20"/24" Heavy Barrels in Stainless Steel! Most Bushmaster barrels are hard chrome lined (except the Stainless Steel barrels) to offer corrosion resistance in the bore and chamber. Chrome is more than twice as hard as barrel steel and effectively doubles barrel life with proper care (exactly why the military specifies the process). Chrome’s lubricity (i.e. “slipperiness”) reduces friction, increases velocity, aids in chambering, extraction, and speeds barrel cleaning. Bushmaster barrels are manganese phosphate finished (again except the Stainless) to guard against exterior rust or corrosion, and to provide the matte black, non reflective finish found on quality military arms.

Rifling… Bushmaster barrels are button rifled with 6 grooves and lands (right hand twist, 1 turn in 9", except for DCM barrels - 1 in 8"). Our experience is that the 1 in 9" twist offers the best results with the widest variety of ammunition. Most barrels are heavy profile their full length - to help alleviate barrel whip and inaccuracy in rapid or full-auto fire.

Forged Front Sights… Our front sights are machined steel forgings for superior tensile strength (we do not use castings). They won't crack or break if you accidentally drop your rifle.

Headspacing… All our barrel assemblies are headspaced at the factory and are shipped ready for assembly and use. Barrel assemblies can be ordered with either a stepped, crowned muzzle (for Post-Ban rifles) or a threaded muzzle for attachment of a flash suppressor or muzzle brake (legal for use only on Pre-Ban lower receivers). BATF rulings permit permanent factory installation of muzzle brakes on certain Post-Ban barrels if overall length equals at least 16". Ask your Bushmaster representative about the variety of muzzle brake options available for Post-Ban barrels.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top