Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/9/2003 5:09:03 PM EDT
Ok, what to do with the mountains of brass I accumulate after a day at the range with the AR15?  
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:26:03 PM EDT
[#1]
sell it on ebay.  i sold some on there about a month ago.  even if you get $4 it's still money.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:31:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Really, you can sell 223 brass?  I wouldn't have thought it was worth reloading.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:34:56 PM EDT
[#3]
yup. i think i got about $8 for 700rds of it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Make a little brass cabin with the shells and hot glue. [bd]

Fidel
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:30:43 PM EDT
[#5]
unless its BURDINE primed,,then it isnt worth the effort to pick it up..
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:30:50 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are shooting .50 BMG...make a Hat Rack [;D]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am so paranoid about that stuff. I ALWAYS pick up my brass.  Mabye it's my tin foil cutting off circulation, but I always think some cop is gonna come by and ballistic fingerprint my gun, or some punk will spread my brass around when he goes and lays a jacket in his homeboys ass!

ok...removing tin foil...feeling light headed....feeling sleepy...very sleepy....
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:35:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I like to take a pocket full when ever I go out. Just start leaving shells in inapropriate places. Public bathrooms, resteraunt booths, pay phones, any where in the grocery store (produce, frozen foods etc.), stacked neatly at the gas pump, If you leave a pile in between parking spaces its the first thing people see when they step out of the car. Sure its juvinile, but I live in the sticks and we'll take any entertainment we can get.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:53:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or BERDAN primed even ;)
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:11:03 PM EDT
[#10]
You could pop the primers out and make necklaces.  Get fancy and drill holes crosswise and make danglies too..  Tumble them first with a little brasso or similar and get them nice and shiny.  Wouldn't that shock some folks.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:32:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Or BERDAN primed even ;)
View Quote

Wait, you [i]want[/i] berdan primed stuff?  That's the one that's hardly worth the trouble of reloading.  Boxer has the large, central flashhole and the anvil integrated in the primer, the one that's easy to decap.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:28:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You could pop the primers out and make necklaces.  Get fancy and drill holes crosswise and make danglies too..  Tumble them first with a little brasso or similar and get them nice and shiny.  Wouldn't that shock some folks.
View Quote

I've actually made automotive door lock knobs out of brass.  .357 nickle plated for a late 70's Dodge Magnum & .30-30 for a older 1/2ton Chevy.  

Even when I didn't have a reloading set-up I saved my brass, whenever I could recover it.  Even corrosive berdan primed 7.62x25 Tokarev...though they are bent all to hell from bouncing off the range barrier & reloading them would be totally masochistic.  Steel cased 7.62x39....next to impossible to recover, the SKS puts them into low earth orbit.
I even collect brass for guns I don't own & have no plans to own if it's unique or I don't have an example of that cartridge case.  While picking up my Tokarev cases I found a .440 Cor-Bon & .357Sig cases & snagged them because they stood out among all the 9x19 & .45acp brass.  Very high "neat" factor.   Out in the country at the unofficial shooting spot it's fun to play Jr CSI sifting thru the empty brass.  "Hmm, here's some 5.56 cases with mil-type headstamps.  Somebody was shooting surplus in their AR or Mini 14.  Over here...some 9x23 Largo..that's different, somebody must be trying out their C&R Star or Astra....buncha .22s.....some 12 & 20 gauge, ooh here's some 16gauge, you don't see too many of those...9x19 with a square primer dent-must be a Glock....etc.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Or BERDAN primed even ;)
View Quote

Wait, you [i]want[/i] berdan primed stuff?  That's the one that's hardly worth the trouble of reloading.  Boxer has the large, central flashhole and the anvil integrated in the primer, the one that's easy to decap.
View Quote

Nope... just pointing out that BERDAN, just like BURDINE (sp) is not worth picking up.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Or you can sell it for the brass itself to recyclers.  One of the clubs I’m a member of earns about $100 every month or so just from accumulated brass.  To include .22 rimfires.
[8D]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:19:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Or you could send it all my way. E-mail me, I am serious about it. I will take all the spent brass you can send me. [8D]

[email][email protected][/email]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:35:19 PM EDT
[#16]
You could buy a cheap reloading set up and build you own custom ammo and be able to hit a spot the size of a dime at 100yds every time.  Thats what I do with mine. In the winter, you would be surprized at how much you can load between the end of bow season and the begining of spring turkey season.  There is a lot of folks that will buy it.I like OP's brass,"other peoples" that I pick up at the range.  Some say that its so inexpensive that it dosnt pay to reload.  Thats true for plinkers and blasters, but for long range presision shooting, the AR deserves to be fed the primo stuff that only you can work up for you weapon.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:38:40 AM EDT
[#17]
You can get one of those empty glass lamps and fill it with cleaned brass like I did once (filled with Federal .308 win match brass)

De Oppresso Liber
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:47:56 AM EDT
[#18]
When I forget the tape or stapler to hold the target onto the cardboard backing, I pick up .223 brass off the ground and impale the corners with it and use the brass to "nail" it onto the cardboard.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:21:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Keep one of them on your work bench for when you're cleaning your AR afterwards.  Apply one drop of CLP to the ejector and use the empty case to work the CLP into the ejector plunger.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 4:18:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Run 'em thru this !

[img]http://dillonprecision.com/content/image/200/i_0900.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 4:23:15 AM EDT
[#21]
what i meant was BERDAN primed ammo is NOT worth picking up..geezzzzzzzzz
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 5:29:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I like to take a pocket full when ever I go out. Just start leaving shells in inapropriate places. Public bathrooms, resteraunt booths, pay phones, any where in the grocery store (produce, frozen foods etc.), stacked neatly at the gas pump, If you leave a pile in between parking spaces its the first thing people see when they step out of the car. Sure its juvinile, but I live in the sticks and we'll take any entertainment we can get.
View Quote

Thats hilarious. Sounds like a good idea. May have to do that sometime today.

Link Posted: 5/10/2003 9:26:52 AM EDT
[#23]
I use surplus 5.56mm and 9x19mm to gravel around my back deck. [;)]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 10:54:26 AM EDT
[#24]
I recently sold 80 lbs of berdan brass to a scrap metal dealer for $20.  Its not much but its not much trouble to do it and it keeps the range clean.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 5:23:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Fill a dozen of 'em with progressively greater amounts of wax. Tape 'em together. And pretend to be "Zamfir, Master of the Pan Flute."
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Anyone want any .303 British? (Empty Brass, that is)
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 5:44:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Fill a dozen of 'em with progressively greater amounts of wax. Tape 'em together. And pretend to be "Zamfir, Master of the Pan Flute."
View Quote

[rofl2]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:04:09 AM EDT
[#28]
I once made a A2 front sight adjustment tool from a spent .223 case. I used a file to remove metal from the case mouth, leaving four prongs that depress the sight dentent. It lasted a few range trips.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top