Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2003 7:17:49 AM EDT
ok so heres the deal... this guy has a colt match target heavy barrel... he says he bought it 9 yrs ago... and it is post ban... has a heavy barrel with a 1 in 9 twist ,,,,, he claims it is a national match... however i examined rifle and the handguards did not appear free floated... the barrel twist was 1/9 instead of 1/8... but the 1 thing i was confused about was the barrel by the front sight said DCM or CMP... i know what both these stand for as most of you too... but i can't remember which... i think DCM ...anyway...question is ...did they "COLT" in 1995 offer a special edition gun with these marking on the barrel? and if so... in unfired condition A3 model... is it worth $900... that's what he want with 2 ten rounds clips, original packing... new condition,,,, lost paperwork... would appreciate any insight to this rifle... thanks...
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:20:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:22:29 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks... what i was wondering is if all colt barrels are marked CMP or if just limited editions???? it did'nt seem to have any extra's... like a free floated barrel..... what would make this match target have this mark?    just wondering if the rifle is plain jane or a early national match rifle... thanks for the feedback...
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:36:58 AM EDT
[#3]
With the exception of the Colt 24" accurized model I don't think Colt ever Free Floated a barrel.

Mine is a Hbar I belive the Match Target barrel is not Hbar profile but is reduced weight/diameter underneath the handguards.

Most likely it's a sear blocked oversized trigger pinned Post Ban Colt.

For $900 you could get yourself a real DCM rifle from Rock River Arms, with free floated upper and National Match 1/4 MOA sights, and 2-stage DCM match trigger. It would be a much better shooter.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:37:50 AM EDT
[#4]
It should describe the gun model etc. on the label on the end of the original Colt box it came in.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:03:42 AM EDT
[#5]
The C MP you describe stamped on the barrel refers to Manufacturer and Manufacturing stampings, not that it is a CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) or DCM (the earlier Director of Civilian Marksmanship Program) edition.

The "C" indicates the barrel was manufactured by Colt Industries.

The "MP" indicates this barrel was "magnetic particle tested" or magnafluxed.

The described stamping is usually followed by additional info, including caliber (5.56 NATO), twist rate (1/9), and possibly barrel configuration (HB) and/or chrome bore.

Refer to http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/barrelbolts/ for a full description with adult-oriented photos (barrels, bolts, and carriers!).
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#6]
you guys have excellent information!!!! thanks alot!!!! i am an old dog at old milsurps, but the black gun is fairly new to me...i got me a bushmaster carbine, from a friend... for a good deal... i did'nt particularly want a colt, but thought it might be an early limited edition because the guy said it was and the "CMP" mark baffled me a bit... i thank you much for clearing it up for me.... my next ar i think will be an OLYMPIC and i will free float it with the armalite 3 piece fiberglass handguard... Gotta love these black guns!!!! i'm hooked...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top