Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/7/2003 6:34:13 PM EDT
guys i posted this about 10 days ago but did not get that many responses. would like to try it again. PLAN ON BUYING MY FIRST BUSHMASTER SOON.  i can not decide what to go with. here are some facts to base answer on. i live in IL. most of my shots are 300 yardS or less, i hunt with calls and coyote trailing dogs ( 3 or 4 times a year with the dogs ) and big walking type of drives were we have 5 or 6 hunters pushing them. i am really leaning towards a 16 inch v match or 16 inch A3 with scopes. if i go with the 16 inch barrels should i go with a big scope like a 6 x 24 x 50 or maybe one of these new lighted scopes on the market? i know a lot people think you do not need that big of scope for a 300 yard shot but even at age 43 i dont see as good as use to. i have been shooting some 3 x 9 x 44 on other guns the last week and even at 100 yards the targets look a long way off. also do you think i would be better off with a 20 inch barrel. there is just a huge difference in weight between the 16 and 20 inchers. i would like to here from you guys with the 16 and 20 inch barrels. and what would be the the best 300 yard varmit scope. i like these lighted dot scopes that are on the market but i dont think they would magnify enough for me on the 300 yard shots. *** please give your thoughts. thanks. marty.  [email protected]  
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:39:22 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are going to be hunting without hearing protection, you DO NOT want a 16" barrel.  The noise is a lot higher.

The 16" loses too much velocity to make you happy on critters at 300 yds; the drop and terminal performance loss are both pretty bad.

The 16" is best in places where speed of handling and ease of handling indoors is a premium.  IOW, military and police work under 150-200 yards, depending on ammo.

A light weight 20" would be what you need, I think.  I would anyway, but as you may have noticed, I don't care much for sort barrels in high-intensity cartridges.  It just don't make sense to me.

Larry
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#2]
XM15 E2S 20" A2. The base Model. Or just get a flattop if you want to mount a scope.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:57:50 AM EDT
[#3]
If you want to use it as a hunting gun, get an A3 (flat top) model with a 20" barrel. Free floated handguard is a good idea too. This will give you good accuracy and make the most out of the .223's rather puny ballistics.

If you want a hunting weapon then you want all the ballistic oomph you can get out of the gun. Chopping the BBL to 16" makes for a weapon that is good for personal defense at close ranges. It does NOT make for a good hunting rifle.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 5:02:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm going to chime in only to say that I'm in agreement with the gentlemen here stating that the 20" is the way to go.  The A3 upper is a must, IMHO, and going with the lightweight barrel would be a good idea, too.

Nothing original from me, but I just wanted to put another opinion behind this good advice.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 5:11:11 AM EDT
[#5]
i think you can get a 20 inch( old type)thin barell,like the origonal vietnam m-16s had.i believe you save over a pound of weight from the HB(HEAVY BARELED)and you sure do notice a pound from the barelno need to wory about barel heat for 2 obvious reasons first at the most yuor shooting semi auto not burst or full auto and second its being used as a hunter so there again a shot or 2 at a time at the most
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 5:30:03 AM EDT
[#6]
BUSHMASTER 20" A3, with an ARMALITE scope mount, and a good scope will serve you well.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:05:08 PM EDT
[#7]
martyd,

Here are two Bushmaster V-Matches.  A 16" carbine and a 20" rifle.  They are basicly the same except for the length of the barrel and the accessories.

If you're going to be shooting around 300 yds then the 20" is the way to go.  If mostly under that distance the 16" will do fine.

[img]http://members.aol.com/ramboskyvn/images/lets%20roll!.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:44:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Get the Bushmaster 20" A3 Flat-top.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top