Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/7/2003 5:43:24 PM EDT
Guys, I'm thinking that for my next AR I want to go with a 16-20" Varmint upper with a 4-12 scope.

I'm really interested in your opinions of the Rock River Varmint 18" with the EOP upper.

Do you think the 18" would be adequate for shots up to 400 yards?  Or should I go for the 20"?

This will be used for a carry around gun also, so weight will be somewhat of a factor.

Also, should I go for the standard A4 upper or the EOP?

What type of rings will I need?

Look forward to your responses.

Thanks,
Steve

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:51:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the RRA 20" Standard flattop. I thought the EOP (Although unique) would put my optics too high off of bore. I use RRA's 1 piece scope mount, which rocks.

As soon as the photoserver returns to operation, I'll post some pics.

IM me your email, and I'll send you photos.

BTW, I had to wait almost 4 months for RRA to build my upper. DEFINITELY worth the wait!!!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a 16" RRA varmint upper w/o the EOP.  It works fine with medium height scope rings...I think the EOP would make stuff too high IMHO by the time add the height of even low rings.  As far as which kind of rings, it really depends on $$$.  I can barely afford the rifles without spending $150 on rings, so I'm gonna defer to other folks on that one..but my 20" Armalite upper shoots consistent sub moa groups with no name rings and a Simmons 6x18 scope if that's any help.  

The RRA varmint is a fairly hefty upper...adding another 4" of barrel would probably be noticeably heavier.  I decided on 16" figuring I'm never gonna be shooting this thing past a couple of hundred yards.  If you're looking to go 400 yards, you're almost getting past the point of what a lot of folks consider the end of the .223's effectiveness...unless you're thinking of the 24" barrel...which will add even more weight.  

Personally, I think I'd stick with the 18"...and get a .22-250 for those 400 yard shots [:D]  

Damn...I was gonna post a pic...but all my pics are now GONE from my Hunting-Pictures.com account...not good hehehe.  

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:05:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I would go with the raised built in mount.  I got the low version and could not cycle the action of the charging handle with my scope.  I ended up getting a set of raised rings which are about the same height as the fixed ones you have shown.  20" will be fine with the right optics.  I have been told to get upper end optics if you want anything acurate to 400 yards.   I would personally go with the highest magnification you can find in the upper end scopes.  www.Model1sales.com also have some match grade barrels made my E.R. shaw that are real good & prices a bit better..  IMHO i would say E.R. shaw barrels are a bit better than wilson barrels (RRA supplier).  But they both will knock em down..... Check out their options.  But definitely stay with the RRA two stage trigger....

Prosise
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:20:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
and could not cycle the action of the charging handle with my scope.  

Prosise
View Quote

As soon as I find someone to host pics, I'll show you guys how it is done!!!

I added a side charging handle latch. Now, I can rack it with just my left hand, while not bumping the scope or having to contort my hand to get it under the scope.

Well worth the $.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Carry-around gun? I'd say mine weighs in at 11-13 pounds. (20", scope, bipod, ego, etc...)
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:23:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Mugzilla,

Thanks for the pictures, looks just like what I want.  Although, I probably will go for the 16 or 18" version.  400 yards is probably being a little unreasonable for .223

Fenian,

Yeah, 400's probably too far.  16" or 18" will do.

Prosise,

I think the standard A4 will work, especially with the the mount that Mugzilla'a using.

Here are some pictures that Mugzilla sent me.  Nice looking setup, definitely need a shorter bipod(which he is planning on doing).  I've got two of the Harris LM's that i think are ideal.

Steve

[img]http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/May/2003576028239300014573.jpg[/img]

[img]http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/May/2003571315105576674546.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#7]
11-13Lbs???

I still want it, guess I'll have to start working out a little more...

Here is the side charging handle you mentioned.

Steve

[img]http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/May/2003576168946703760206.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#8]
OFr all those tuning in, that is a Bushmaster buttstock, DPMS PSG-1 style grip, and a bushnell trophy 6-18x40.

The bipod is for sale/trade, if anyone is interested.

mjp
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#9]
OFr all those tuning in, that is a Bushmaster buttstock, DPMS PSG-1 style grip, and a bushnell trophy 6-18x40.

The bipod is for sale/trade, if anyone is interested. I need a shorter one with extending legs...

mjp
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:33:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
11-13Lbs???

I still want it, guess I'll have to start working out a little more...

Steve

[url]

11-13 is a guess. I'd say it is at least 3 lb heavier than my std a2...
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#11]
What lower is that?

Standard or two stage trigger?

How does it shoot?

I really like it.

Steve
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:42:05 PM EDT
[#12]
RRA lower

2 stage (RRA, of course) trigger.

Only have 20 rounds through it. Barrel break-ins stink!!!

I hit pennies at 100 yds. As soon as I get the Dillon setup for 223, its groundhog time!!!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top