Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/7/2003 5:40:47 PM EDT
I'm just wondering about these two things:

1.  Where do you keep your AR?  In a safe, or in a readily accessible location for home defense?

2.  When you store it, do you store it with all the attachments on(ML2/ACOG/Trijicon/light/fore grip/etc) or do you remove them and then reattach them when taking it out?

Personally, both my AR's are in a safe, and presently not ready for home defense: that's what the 92FS is for right now.  As for storing them, I don't have enough goodies on either of them yet, but when I do, I think I would want to take the ML2 off so that it wouldn't get banged up.  At least, that's what the plan is.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#1]
My AR is in the safe, and I don't have any goodies to speak of.  For home defense, I have a 12GA pump slug-gun and a Springfield XD.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:55:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Out in the Back Yard !!!!
No, I have a couple in the Safe !!
One hanging in a Display Vase on the wall and ready for action along with a few other toys laying around !!! [:D]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I keep both of mine in my gun cabinet with full magazines and all of my attachments on the rifle.
Hell, most nights I keep one beside my bed--you never know when you might need it!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine are in the safe. Yes, the slings are on them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#5]
All the ones in the safe have the "goodies" removed and stored seperately. The one I sleep with has all its "attachments",but..........its not really for "home defense".[:I]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:22:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine are in a safe with optics mounted.

I don't understand the "AR for home defense" thing....  If you need to kill someone in self-defense, you're probably going to be close enough to touch him.  If he's that close, you might have a hard time retaining your AR.  If you shoot someone at any longer range, you're going to jail for a long, long time....
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:26:57 PM EDT
[#7]
My AR's are all in my safe, but I have 6 30-rounders loaded in carriers.  For home defense a 12 gauge is at the ready.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:43:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don't understand the "AR for home defense" thing....  If you need to kill someone in self-defense, you're probably going to be close enough to touch him.  If he's that close, you might have a hard time retaining your AR.  If you shoot someone at any longer range, you're going to jail for a long, long time....
View Quote

You don't live in a large city do you ???

It is no longer a single perp breaking in thru your window.  Those days are over.. at least in the big cities.

In the big cities, the perps (yes, perps. Not a single perp) will CHARGE you in your home.  They (2 to 3 invaders) will kick-in your door, rush your home, and be in your face within seconds.  No warning, no "bump in the night".  Plus, they will be armed with pistols.

For me, the AR is the only logical response to this modern-day attack.  Fast, sure-sighted hits to multiple armed attackers at a fraction-of-a-second response time.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:58:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Locked in the safe when I'm not at home. Next to the bed when I am. I always keep it  ready with the sling, red dot, tac light and loaded USGI 30 rounder in place.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:03:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Too poor to have a gunsafe. In closet with padlocked door with a gunlock of course. I never keep mags loaded, ammo in badoleers and .50 cal boxes.

For home defense it dont look good to use a gun especially here in NY. Better off with a bat.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:05:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wrong. There is only one way in or out of my apartment. If there is an intruder in my house he will be illuminated with weaponlight long enough to be identified. At this point he has three options:
1. raise arms in surrender
2. turn and run  out the door
3. get shot

The laws in my state allow me to use lethal force in removing an intruder in my "castle" without having to retreat. I fully intend to do so if the need arises. I pity those who reside in a state that requires you to run  or cower in fear in your own dwelling.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:42:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Locked in safe,  and yours better be too if you are not at home.  Think about this,  the average AR with normal accessories cost about 1000$.  A upper end liberty/champion safe costs about 1100$ delivered.  By the time you get all your guns & accessories,  jewelry, cash, knives, watches, whatever in that safe you are talking about chump change to ensure someone keeps their dickbeaters off your stuff.  Not to mention someone taking your stuff & doing bodily harm to another.  But under my pillow is a little secret.  Psst..  Baretta Baby...   I lived in Colorado for 3 years and they have a law called the Make my day law.  See  http://www.co-freedom.com/2003/04/makemyday.html for interesting reading.  

Prosise

p.s.  DODGE THIS!

[img]http://members.lycos.co.uk/needanexit/tringun.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:04:04 PM EDT
[#13]
First off, my house have a monitored central alarm system.  I'm lucky to live in a good neighboorhood in an area with low crime.  We also have a guy on the Highway Partol that lives down the road who is always coming and going from his house on different shifts.

I have a room upstairs that I've put an "outside" door on with a lockable deadbolt.

By the time they break in that door the county sheriff would be there due to the monitored alarm system.

I leave all my "stuff" mounted on my carbine.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:44:33 PM EDT
[#14]
The safe... most certainly. pump gun for hd...  and a few other little surprises here and there.  Goodies go on the gun
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:53:33 AM EDT
[#15]
My AR sits in the corner next to the bed.Light and Eotech attached.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:35:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I keep a 1911A1 close at hand, and all my long guns in the safe.  

I did a time study, and to find my glasses, get out of bed, get to the safe, open it, get out my rifle, put a magazine in and chamber a round takes almost four minutes to be standing bare-assed with a shotgun (or rifle) in hand.  

Now I sleep like a log, and have been awakened many times by my Doberman barking at doggy hallucinations, and I take each opportunity as a drill.  

That dog is ready for action much sooner than I am, so if you are expecting trouble, get a good dog.  At least that will give you the time to get your pistol and flashlight together, even if you don't wear glasses.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:49:11 PM EDT
[#17]
A dog is much better than any alarm system. Nothing goes on within earshot of my house without my GSD knowing about it. Big dogs are also a deterrant just being there. Both of my dogs weigh well over 100 lbs, and are strong enough to knock a man clean over if they want.

Dogs don't malfunction with the power off, and they don't ever let you down. They would give me more than enough lead time to slap a mag in and be ready to clear the house.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:02:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Man you hit that right on the head,  I have a security system and it doesn't hold a candle to my dog.  He is an awesome guard dog & lets me know when anyone comes to the door.  Bad thing is, once the door opens hes so friendly he would probably lead them to my most prized posessions.  Got to talk to him about that.

[nono]  [snoopy]

Prosise
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:05:53 AM EDT
[#19]
My first line of defense is my 12 gauge by my bed. I have the ARs positioned in my path of retreat with 2 loaded mags each. I don't have any real "goodies" to speak of other than new grip and trigger.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:49:08 AM EDT
[#20]
I keep a 12 ga loaded by the bed (bedroom is upstairs, safe is downstairs).  The AR hasn't arrived yet, but will be stored in the front of the safe, sling attached, loaded mags ready to go.

I live in an urban area, so I can appreciate the multiple intruder posts.  However, for a "simple" break-in (multiple attackers or not), the 12 ga will work fine but be more litigation friendly afterward, I believe.  

It's an unfortunate reality, but defending yourself with an Evil Black Rifle could be viewed in a VERY unfavorable light by a jury (either criminal or civil).  This varies of course with the political/litigeous climate where you live.

That being said, though, in the case of natural disaster/rioting/general lawlessness...I would pick the AR.  There would be too much other more important matters for everyone to attend to than to worry about who used what to defend themselves.  

Just my $.02

--Otter
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:42:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't know what the laws are in your state but here in the mid south (TN MS ARK) if someone breaks in your house you can shoot them, period. So my only task is to identify the person as an intruder. I don't have to get close enough for him to grab my gun.

So how hard can it be to retain your gun?

Scenerio:
You hear a noise at night, You grab your trusty AR. Since you've decided to use it for home defence you were smart enough to mount a weapons light. You see an intruder, on goes the light (if it's not on already). Now the intruder has to make his way across whatever distance there is between you, and grab your gun. All you have to do is Identify this person as an intruder and pull the trigger if he makes any move towards you. Now even if there is only a few feet between you, I think it would be pretty darn hard for the intruder to grab your gun.

Now having said this, I realize some in some states you have to prove that your life was in immediate danger and you had no possibility for escape before you can shoot. To people who live in those states maybe an AR is not the best choice for home defense. And I'm sorry your state values the life of a criminal over an innocent person.

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:02:36 AM EDT
[#22]
...I also have an alarm system, a doberman, and a boxer/staffordshire mix.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:10:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Here in Texas, you can use deadly force to protect your CAR (automobile, not CAR-15; well, I guess you could use it then, too!) from being stolen!  If someone is lurking in my backyard, and they're not invited, they can be shot.  That's one of the good things about having a State Constitution that was written in 1876 by a bunch of government fearing farmers and cattlemen!

The rules for our concealed/carry card-holders are quite stringent, but the rights of property owners on their own land is paramount, and trumps nearly every other right.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:23:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:28:13 PM EDT
[#25]
When I bought my M3 light today, I was talking to the guy at the gun shop I get most of my stuff from (that's closing at the end of June).  The owner carries a really sweet pre-ban Bushy M4 that has an M3/laser combo, some kind of nice freefloat rail system (I don't know enough about them yet to identify them on sight), a vertical foregrip, and a compact ACOG.  What was interesting to me was that he carries this with him nearly everywhere he goes.  Sure, it sits near the back door when he's at work (he wears a pistol there) but he takes it home with him, and then he takes it back to work with him the next day.  All the stuff is on his M4 all the time, and it's nearly at his side 24/7.  As a matter of fact, the reason I went with the M3 light was because he had one, and he bangs his ol' M4 around and shoots it A LOT, and it's still working as advertised.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:59:07 PM EDT
[#26]
As I’m a Former Army Paratrooper, I don’t NEED to use any of my Shooting Irons (which I also call Noise Makers) to inflict massive pain and bodily harm to an unauthorized intruder.  I just have to look hard at them and they start to panic in shear terror.  I just start to growl and they take off like the Iraqi Army.

As for my M16, I keep it in the same room I sleep in.  Only while it doesn’t share our bed, it does have one of its own.  In fact, the cushions in its case are in better shape than the pillows I sleep on.  (The Best pillows are on Her side.)

[USA]

Army Paratrooper 1975-1981
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:09:16 PM EDT
[#27]
I pity those who reside in a state that requires you to run  or cower in fear in your own dwelling.[/quote]

IN PA you must be cornered and have no where to escape before technically aloud to use lethal force!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top