Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/7/2003 3:34:38 PM EDT
I just got a Bushmaster AK Shorty. The owners manual refers to CLP for cleaning. Is this simply gun oil? Is gun oil such Rem Oil acceptable in its place or should I try to find the Tetra CLP they recommend?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:52:21 PM EDT
[#1]
CLP is the generic name of all compounds that claim to Clean, Lubricate and Protect. An All-in-One fix.

Breakfree CLP is widely found in many gunshops.

And Welcome aboard.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Hello,

I would recommend Breakfree CLP.  I really love it and it makes the rifle look soo nice.  [:D]

You can get it at most gun shops except the city I live in.  lol  But they also carry it at Wal-Mart.

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:00:51 PM EDT
[#3]
i was using break free until i tried FP-10, FP-10.com, or you can get it at most gun stores under the shooters choice fp10 name. i like it better than break free.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 8:55:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey gootmacher. I'm just curious as to why you like FP-10 better? Have you noticed a major difference between the two? [peep]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 8:58:30 AM EDT
[#5]
It definately smells better!  Kinda like cinnamon.    Plus I guess there is something about the owner of FP10 supporting the shooting sports/RKBA and Breakfree is ???  I don't claim to know the whole story there.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 10:24:34 AM EDT
[#6]
You can go to the website and read about it but both FP-10 and Militec-1 claim their lube/cleaner has sythetic compounds that actually bind to metal and make a perminant layer of protection/lubrication. They claim it increases barrel life, accuacy, reliablility, and makes it easy to clean.

I use FP-10 to clean (it does smell nice) and Militec-1 to lube. The last time I cleaned my bolt I wiped it with a rag and all the carbon fouling came off, that made me happy. The barrel is much easier to clean now too (bore brush with FP-10, 2 dry patches, and a Militec moist patch and it's shiny).

I liked breakfree, but I really like FP-10 and Militec-1 (it's more like a treatment then a cleaing).

BTW, I'm not selling these products I just like them because they made my ARs much easier to clean.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#7]
CLP has teflon which will settle out of suspension. It must be shaken hard before using. I don't know about FP-10 or Mil-tec.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:35:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
CLP has teflon which will settle out of suspension. It must be shaken hard before using.
View Quote
No, Breakfree CLP has teflon.  Royco CLP, thew only stuff that meets the current military requirements doesn't use teflon.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:40:54 PM EDT
[#9]
What about LSA and bore cleaner?
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:47:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I have been using RemOil for the last few months with no problems...
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:21:20 AM EDT
[#11]
For a CLP I vote for Firepower FP-10 CLP.It diffenitely lubes and cleans better than Break Free or Royco in my opinion.Not to mention FP-10 smells much better.
Militec-1 works pretty good but its only a lube and not a CLP.I did not think Militec-1 out performed FP-10 CLP as a lubricant myself.I would say they are about even in the lubrication department.Same basic lubrication chemistry.
Just my opinion and experience.
And by the way Bushmaster has the 4oz. bottles of Firepower FP-10 CLP in the new catalog right next to the Tetra.So there's another source.
Raymond
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:13:34 PM EDT
[#12]
i like fp10 better because it seems to clean better that break free, it smells better and seems a little slicker. ive noticed that the carbon doesnt adhere as bad with fp10 than with breakfree, i usually use mppro7 to clean my bolt and fp10 to clean everything else.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:47:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I usually use Mpro7 to clean and Breakfree, Shooters Choice grease, or sometimes Outers gun oil to lube.  Guess I'll have to try the FP-10 sometime.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:04:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What about LSA and bore cleaner?
View Quote

OK, I'm an advocate of the old school.  I prefer bore cleaner and LSA.  I did a little test on my own and found first the bore cleaner cleans faster/better and second the LSA holds on the rifle better than CLP.  

Do I use the CLP, yep.  It is very convienent for field use and does a far superior job to standard gun lubricants like Hoppes.  An AR will sling the oil off for you typically put alot more rounds through it.  

I do have an issue with not being able to mix CLP with other oils which makes it act like a temporary glue. This I don't like for I have many rifles and fear a whoops.  This isn't as much an issue in the winter when I have plenty of time to clean rifles. Summer I will most likely stick to my LSA.  

I am looking forward to trying the FB10 but missed out on the free offer. LOL
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top