Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2003 3:46:52 PM EDT
If you had to run out of your house when TSHTF and you could ONLY grab one of these two weapons with 1000 rounds, which would you take?  The AR-15 or the SAR-1?  Let's make the situation taking place in a forest/hills environment.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:16:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd take the AR 15 for the weight and its known capabilities. I don't know the SAR-1 capabilities other than the AR 15 is usually more accurate and stops as good as the SAR-1.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Owning both and having several friends that own both, we always get caught in the reliability vs. future parts/ammo debate.

I have 5 ars and 3 aks one of which is a SAR1.  Every AR has at some point jammed.  Granted its rare, but they are more sensitive to dirty chambers and ammo than the AK's.  They are also on 4-6 times more accurate and the ammo and mags are lighter.  They shoot a nato and US standard caliber which means ammo can be 'acquired' more readily.

I have had ONE jam in my AK's.  It was in the first 20 rounds and I think related to a bad mag and lack of lube.  Same  rifle now has about 1000 rounds thru it with no jams since.  Ak's dont care what you feed them.  Sure, some ammo shoots cleaner and is more accurate but they always work.  But you cant raid a local armory and get more ammo, the mags are heavy and they are not as accurate.  

The accuracy issue may be more of a paper tiger since I would have no issue whatso ever in shooting at a man sized target at 300 yards or closer with the AK's.  I have been able to hit IDPA targets out to 500 yards with the AK's about 75% + of the time so the practical accuracy is probably not a real issue.

So to answer your question - Hell, it would depend on if I was going for the osama look or the Rambo look that day.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#3]
AK is heavier, less accurate, has horrible ergonomics, is dificult to mount optics too, it has an inferior trigger, the 7.62 you will have loaded will inevitably be Wolf FMJ which has inferior wounding characteristis compared to most 5.56mm loadings.

What do you gain?  Reliability?  I have never had my ARs malfunction.  Ever.  Of course I dont abuse them the way I abused my AK.  

I pick an AR15 every time no questions asked.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:30:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I own and shoot both a lot.  I would grab the AR because that is what my wife and son would also be carrying.  I have spent the serious money on the AR's and they are set up for the serious sh*t.  Got to run, just got put under a tornado warning.  That's some SHTF I can do without!

DILBERT_556
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:42:32 PM EDT
[#5]
How much would 700 rounds cost for an AR-15?  I bought 700 Russian rounds for 64 dollars for my SAR-1.  Came in a cool green can that had to be opened with a large "John Wayne".  Inside there were 35 small boxes with 20 rounds in them.  I know AR ammo is inexpensive, but I have never purchased it in bulk.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I own a bushy M4 and a SAR-1.  For ME, the AR feels better in my hands and it is more accurate than the SAR.  So I'd probably take the ar.  Although I'd bring a friend so I have the added power of the AK :)
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Did you honestly think you would hear everyone raving about an AK on an AR site. [:)] I've also had both and I like my ak but I'm fortunate  enough to live in the US and I've haven't come across too many situations where I felt I would be blasted by a sand storm or crawling thorough the jungle to eliminate someone. The AR is a reliable rifle with minimal servicing. So I think the AR will fair very well in an urban or resonable terrain. Plus I like the accuracy of the AR, where is the fun in shooting if you can't reliably hit the target.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:44:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Did you honestly think you would hear everyone raving about an AK on an AR site. [:)] I've also had both and I like my ak but I'm fortunate  enough to live in the US and I've haven't come across too many situations where I felt I would be blasted by a sand storm or crawling thorough the jungle to eliminate someone. The AR is a reliable rifle with minimal servicing. So I think the AR will fair very well in an urban or resonable terrain. Plus I like the accuracy of the AR, where is the fun in shooting if you can't reliably hit the target.
View Quote

Leadfoot -  No not really.  But since I don't own one I was just wondering what those who do own an AR-15 would choose in that type of situation.  I originally went to the gun shop to buy an AR-15 but chose the SAR-1 instead.  Mostly because I love the look of the AK (and I love the AR-15 look too), but for 317 dollars I couldn't pass it up. Ammo is cheap and it has an awesome sound!  But, I'll still buy an AR-15 as my next carbine.  I love carbines!!!
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, I'd take my SAR 3 hehehehe...best of both worlds.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:43:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, the tornado went 8 miles south of us.  God I hate feeling helpless.  Which is precisely why I will be grabbing my Bushmaster with fresh Lake City loaded in USGI mags. Well over 3,000 rounds with absolutely no malfunctions.  It may not be the cheapest way to go, but I trust it and that's what really matters to me!

DILBERT_556
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:07:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Frankie I know what you mean, you just can't beat the price. After I bought my sar-1 I got a Yugo m59/66. now I'll start saving for that AR.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Frankie I know what you mean, you just can't beat the price. After I bought my sar-1 I got a Yugo m59/66. now I'll start saving for that AR.
View Quote

mickey -- Nice choice on the Yugo m59/66.  What kind of AR-15 are you looking to buy?  
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:22:29 PM EDT
[#13]
You just buy the AK variants to supply all those friends of yours that weren't smart enough to prepare ahead of time.  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, I'm not a Match Shooter nor do I do any serious target shooting.  So an Ar-15 can wait a while.  I have no fear that if the the shit should hit the fan that my Romanian SAR-1 will perform flawlessly, in battle and survival.  And besides, it's more apt to bring down a larger animal than a ground hog or antelope. Heck, in some states ya can't even hunt big game legally with a .223 caliber.  One thing is for certain, the SAR-1 will eat most anything you feed it, where as AR-15's tend to be picky eaters.  Don't get me wrong.  I want and will get Bushmaster, and more than likely once in my hand I will brag about it till the end of time.  But for now, my AK-47 is bad to the bone!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:30:35 PM EDT
[#15]
If you want an AK, build a bulgarian AK-74. It's the only only AK next to a vepr that retains the reliability of an AK but can match the accuracy of a 16 inch AR. It breaks my heart but I am having to sell my ar's so i can go back to school, but I will be moving over to an AK-74. They cost about 220-260 to build depending on how much the reciever costs you. The mags are also dirt cheap at about 6-8 per mag and they are rock solid. I can get 1000rds of 5.45 for as low as $75. Good, cheap, and powerful shooter.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 5:00:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I like the Bushmaster's too Frankie, Right now you just can't beat the price for 7.62x39 ammo and since I don't do my own reloading. it just seemed the way to go.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top