Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/6/2003 11:09:06 AM EDT
Can anyone give safe directions on how to make this happen?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#1]
First of all, why would you want this unsafe action to occur? If you just want to troubleshoot and check your rifle to see if it will happen, the do this.

1.  [red][size=4]MAKE SURE THE WEAPON IS UNLOADED[/size=4][/red]. Magazine out, bolt locked to the rear, and chamber visually verified empty.

2.  Repeat step 1, [red][size=4]MAKE SURE THE WEAPON IS UNLOADED[/size=4][/red].

3. Close the bolt, take the weapon off safe and bang the butt on the ground or floor sharply one time. Use a piece of carpet or folded towel as a pad to prevent damage to the weapon.

4. Check to see if the hammer fell by pulling the trigger to dry fire the weapon. If the hammer fell due to the blow, have your fire control group check immediately because your weapon is not safe.

This procedure did not come out of a manual, although I presume there is a manual out htere that has the official method.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:49:49 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a slam-fire.  He wants to know about bump-firing; and I don't know what it is either.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:52:15 PM EDT
[#3]
If you mean bump firing like making your semi act like full auto the way I did it was put my thumb thru the trigger grabed ahold of my belt loop and steadily pull the rifle foward it will fire and the recoil will move it back but since your pulling it will fire again and again aslong as you pull
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:53:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's some directions on how to do it with an AK. Seems a little silly to me:

[url]http://linx310.nothingbutguns.com/bump.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:47:04 PM EDT
[#5]
is there even enough recoil in an AR to bump fire? I know there is for an AK and dangerous too, almost took out a car!
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:55:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Thumb through trigger & locked into belt loop/pants pocket. Pull forward on the handguard firmly and constant. Recoil will take over & over & over...

An AR can do it. I have seen first hand an AR, AK, FAL, SAIGA 12g SG, Garand all do it...

On my camping trip last weekend, there is one semi anti. He is ok with guns, just not 'automatics and handguns'. You shoulda seen his face when I bumped my FAL. He was not a happy camper. BTW, he was a VERY good shot with the FAL, but its a DSA, we ALL shot VERY well.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:56:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Ak and ar have both been bump-fired by me....and I am now an international instructor..
thof gave you reasonable instruction.....my method---index finger through the trigger guard and toching my hip or leg...pull forward with your left hand on the front hand guard...it may take practice to find the correct pull and stance....also some barrle recoil devices are bad juju.....no recoil no bump......
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:05:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is my site with video.
[url]http://members.aol.com/bishop042/bump.html[/url]
If your just starting it helps if you hang your(trigger hand) thumb off your front pocket.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:12:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thumb through trigger & locked into belt loop/pants pocket. Pull forward on the handguard firmly and constant. Recoil will take over & over & over...

An AR can do it.
View Quote

That's how I do it with my AR. One note though, it won't work with Worf or other "mild" ammo. When using Guatamalan or other milsurp ammo it works great. Takes a little practice to get the right forward pressure on the gun but once you get it down its a blast. Guys at the range will swear you were firing fullauto.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:17:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Bump Firing = Official behavior of a WANNABEE!
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:37:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Or just someone who doesnt want to pay $8900 + tax stamps and red tape to rapidly discharge ammunition.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I love bump firing. The easiest way to start out learning is to use a small object like a magic marker. Put it through the trigger, hold the marker tight against your hip bone and with the weight of the rifle resting on the marker, holding the handguard with your left hand, just push the rifle forwardkeeping the marker anchored. You have to keep pretty good preassure forward and steer the fire with the left hand. It is every bit as fast as full auto. I never could do it well with the belt loop. Now i use a really thin piece of plastic tubing the length of my finger that I slide right over my finger (sorta like a finger on a steel guitar) and hold it tight on my hip bone and push forward. I can fire off 30 rnds. in a few seconds. I always fire off a 30 rounder at the end of all my target practice. Its freaks out eveybody at the range, they all swear It's full auto. The only AR I have that won't do it is a Bushy with a A2 tac brake on the muzzle (not enough kick). It might be red-necky to some people but I think it's fun as heck. Also, you do need some good ammo, I can't get wolf or silver bear to work. My AK and SKS also bump fire really good.
Good Luck
BASE-RIGGER
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:30:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Does it, or can bump-firing hurt your rifle?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:31:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Would he be better off just buying a Tac Trigger or Gat Trigger? Install it when you want to play full auto then take it off when you're done. I haven't tried the Tac Trigger but the video looks cool.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tom,
I think it was you that posted about rapid fire a couple of days ago.  I posted a link to a short video......I was bumping my brand new off the shelf AR in that video.  I thought you knew that.  With a little practice, it is almost as controllable as full auto in accuracy and control of the # of rounds fired.  3 shot burst, 10 round or dump the whole mag.  I am not going to go into the details of the technique but the weight of the weapon has a lot to do with it.  My AK is harder to do from the shoulder but it can be done too.  And no, it does not hurt the weapon other than you tend to put a lot more ammo through it.  I agree with those of you who think the "spray and yeee-hawwwww" crowd bumping away at the range is a little silly (and more than a little dangerous) but even though it is not my cup of tea, I don't begrudge someone having a good time.

Here is the link again:

[url]http://www.autoglassparts.com/guns/video/olyROF.wmv[/url]

Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Tom,
I think it was you that posted about rapid fire a couple of days ago.  I posted a link to a short video......I was bumping my brand new off the shelf AR in that video.  I thought you knew that.  With a little practice, it is almost as controllable as full auto in accuracy and control of the # of rounds fired.  3 shot burst, 10 round or dump the whole mag.  I am not going to go into the details of the technique but the weight of the weapon has a lot to do with it.  My AK is harder to do from the shoulder but it can be done too.  And no, it does not hurt the weapon other than you tend to put a lot more ammo through it.  I agree with those of you who think the "spray and yeee-hawwwww" crowd bumping away at the range is a little silly (and more than a little dangerous) but even though it is not my cup of tea, I don't begrudge someone having a good time.

Here is the link again:

[url]http://www.autoglassparts.com/guns/video/olyROF.wmv[/url]

View Quote

Wasn't me Rick, but thanks for the tips and vid. I just want to try it for fun.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:54:19 AM EDT
[#17]
My first attempt at bumping my AR worked perfectly. All 30 rounds non-stop using a RRA M4 Entry. I think the 2-stage trigger helped tremendously.

I was unable to duplicate the full-bumping for the remainder of the range visit though. I got lucky the first time I guess :)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top