Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/5/2003 6:55:17 PM EDT
The lower is marked:

AR-15 A2
Govt. Carbine
cal .223
ser GC 021XXX

Small push pins, sear block, mil spec hammer and trigger pins.

Can someone please shed some info about what I am looking at?  Preban, postban?  Year of manufacture?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]www.biggerhammer.net[/url]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:07:44 PM EDT
[#2]
GS and GC serial came out in late '88. I bought a new GS (20" Govt Sporter) w/ pick-up (1/89) just 2 weeks before the Patrick Purdy thing. Mine is serial #'d less than 4000.

Yours (GC-Govt Carbine) with the sear block was probably made late '89 to early '90 due to the "sear block". PRE-BAN all the way----- stamped COLT AR15A2, correct?
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:20:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info.  See, that's why I asked the question in the first place...

According to the list it's above the cutoff, yet all the features point to preban (granted my knowledge is limited).

It is marked:

Colt
Ar-15 A2

Has the fence btw...  Oh yeah, I also looked in the blue book (older) and it does say discontinued in early '90s (before the ban).  

Anyone else?
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:23:27 PM EDT
[#4]
If it says COLT and AR15 on it, it is a preban, BY NAME, and you dont have to prove crap.

Its a preban.  Period.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:28:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, I thought that was the general consent.  The list spawned the doubts.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The lower is marked:

AR-15 A2
Govt. Carbine
cal .223
ser GC 021XXX

Small push pins, sear block, mil spec hammer and trigger pins.

Can someone please shed some info about what I am looking at?  Preban, postban?  Year of manufacture?

Thanks.
View Quote

That is an LEO assault rifle and is a felony.  The # you gave falls way after the ban. Unless you are a copper. Just cuz it says AR15 A2 and is Ser # after the ban makes it bad. I found out and bought GC02202x the hard way. It has large hammer pins also. I guess manufacture in jan- feb 95.

FYI. the month and year colt put the rifle in the box is stamped with black ink in the clear and blue bag that colt rifles come in.
GG
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:42:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If it says COLT and AR15 on it, it is a preban, BY NAME, and you dont have to prove crap.

Its a preban.  Period.
View Quote

False.
GG
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:57:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Colt kept selling AR15 marked guns in preban configuration without the LEO/Government markings.  I got stuck with a 9mm carbine like this a call to Colt will verify it was LEonly and it went through a LEOnly distributor. So you got stuck with a dud. You can neuter it of evil features and be ok.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:09:23 PM EDT
[#9]
. You can neuter it of evil features and be ok.
View Quote

No you cant, It has a post SER# and has AR15 on the side, which is specifically listed in the CB, which makes it what?
GG
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:29:53 PM EDT
[#10]
See, I didn't know that Colt actually sold LE only rifles without marking them as such.  But sounds like something Colt management of the day would do.

Just to clarify, I didn't get stuck with anything.  There is an opportunity to buy at a right price, and I was getting conflicting info from my research.  That's why I posted a question here.

Thanks again for all the info.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top