Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/5/2003 9:36:53 AM EDT
Just noticed a large number of pre bans from " collections " coming up for sale.  Alot of SP1s n early guns too. Gunsamerica has tons of them for sale. Anybody else notice?
 Joel
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:42:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes there are lots of prebans going up for sale, but don't expect to see any of mine for sale.  The guys putting them up for sale are the ones who don't expect to see the AW Ban to sunset.  However, to me its looking pretty good for us.  Check this site out.

[url]http://www.awbansunset.com/[/url]

the site may be down now
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:54:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just noticed a large number of pre bans from " collections " coming up for sale.  Alot of SP1s n early guns too. Gunsamerica has tons of them for sale. Anybody else notice?
 Joel
View Quote

Yep - I began to notice the trend last summer.
More than the usual SP1's (as you indicate) and lately a good number of Colt Government Carbines.

I have a few rules that I live by - Rule No. 1 is if you're going to be wrong, be wrong holding the money !!  Looks as if some folks are hedging by converting guns to cash.  Seldom a really bad idea.  (See Rule No. 1)

Also I wonder if some of us are now getting over the 'postban' stigma.  I, last week, bought my second postban AR EVER.  The AK Forum guys convinced me in about 30 seconds to move from preban AK's to the postban AK-74 and that's the AK I'm going to have built.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#3]
You have to be encouraged about the potential sunset of the AWB if you read the first page Washington Post story in todays newspaper which said that the Congress is likely to pass the new liability bill to shield gun firms from civil claims.  If the same congressional Representatives and Senators support the ending of the AWB ban, then you might expect to see a surge in dumping of prebans in coming months.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Does anyone think the prices may start to come down?
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not Dumping, I'm Buying !!!!
I never sell my toys !!
You can count on the Ban staying in effect !!!
[:D]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:09:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd wait to see whether the AWB is put back in to play. If is isn't, then all those pre-bans won't be worth much, and you can pick them up for cheap. Or, you could wait a bit for the manufacturers to start putting them out, and get one new.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:09:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes there are lots of prebans going up for sale, but don't expect to see any of mine for sale.  The guys putting them up for sale are the ones who don't expect to see the AW Ban to sunset.  However, to me its looking pretty good for us.  Check this site out.

[url]http://www.awbansunset.com/[/url]

the site may be down now
View Quote

Ummm, it would seem to me that the guys who are putting their pre-ban guns up for sale are the ones who think the AWB will sunset. They don't want to get caught holding guns that are suddenly worth half of what they were the day before.

The folks who are holding their pre-ban guns are the ones that think they will be worth more after it is all said and done. And there is only one way they will be worth more.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#8]
The ones I see are cheaper now than a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#9]
You can buy a Nice Pre Ban for $1400.-$1500 and you would pay almost that for a Post ban!!
I don't have Pre Ban's as an investment, I have them because I want them and love them  !!!! (more than my wife)[:D]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:37:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Sold my last preban several weeks ago locally for 3 reasons:

1.  I do believe the ban will sunset and not be renewed... Buy low, sell high... If I'm wrong, I'll console myself with the 2.5 postbans I can buy for the cash I got for the preban...

2.  The ninja wannabe had mucho more money than common sense... [;)]

3.  It was just a damn Colt and I didn't care if I ever shot it, and the buyer was jagging to have that little horsey on the receiver... sold...
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#11]
that little horsey on the receiver... sold...

END

That little horsey means its a quality product that will not go belly up like so many of the other brands do.
PAT
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

END

That little horsey means its a quality product that will not go belly up like so many of the other brands do.
PAT
View Quote

That little horsey means it is an overpriced rifle made by a company that ignores innovation in favor of living off their name and making concessions to please the antis.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:08:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

END

PAT
View Quote

Not trying to turn this into a bash thread, but I'd have been more interested in keeping the rifle if it had been up to par... My Colt AR's were problematic and after a few experiences with the fine folks at Colt's customer service I became a die-hard ArmaLite fan, and it's been nothing but perfection since then... but you are correct, that little horsey did mean something, too bad it doesn't mean the quality it used to...
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:40:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, my little horsey is 25 years old this year, and will be in my leavings when I go. I didn't buy it to make money off of it, and I really don't give a damn if the price goes up or down. It stays in the family[:D]

The other three are all aftermarket based pieces; Bushie, Rock River, and now DPMS.  They all have their good and bad points, but the XM177E2 cloned SP1 will always be the favorite.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:51:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You can buy a Nice Pre Ban for $1400.-$1500 and you would pay almost that for a Post ban!!
I don't have Pre Ban's as an investment, I have them because I want them and love them  !!!! (more than my wife)[:D]
View Quote

fell-off-the-truck, man you must hate your wife.  You are always bashing her...lol [:D]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#16]
No, I love her, She just does not love the amount of Cash I spend on Guns and other toys as much as I do. [:)]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top