Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2003 7:41:56 AM EDT
With a 1/8" twist rate, what gr. is the optimum to shoot while plinking. Plan on getting a BM DCM before Bulletfest, after I get the M1 Carbine. More so, can I use Wolf-62gr and my SS109 while plinking without complications? Have more questions, but dont want to come off as a moron. Hence Wolf in a DCM, hahaha. Thanks Jason [email protected]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:10:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Most folk who have gone through the added expense of purchasing a DCM/CMP rifle, which in most cases has a stainless steel, faster twist barrel, DO NOT SHOOT JUNK/PLINKING AMMO in them.

As the life expectancy and desire for accuracy in matches, have the majority of HighPower shooters reloading and firing custom ammo to maximize their points, makes no sense to waste the wear and tear of your tack driver shooting SHTF ammo through it. While searching for the best rounds one might experiment w/ M193 or M855, most HP shooters don't and I would never shoot that smelly Wolf ammo in my prize "across the course" HP Service rifle. YMMV, but remember that this (DCM/CMP, 1/8 AR-15) is not a chrome chambered and chrome bore rifle and it's life is considerably shorter.

Mike

PS - BTW, the 1/8 barrel should handle rounds from 55 grns. to 90 grns. with no problems....
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 10:17:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I have had my Bushmaster DCM for five years now. It was the acquisition of this rifle that led me to reloading for .223 The only way to get the accuracy that the rifle is capable of is to feed it the good stuff. While you can buy match rounds, making your own is the route most people I know go with.
For me, it’s part of the fun, part of the game. I will work up a round, go out and group it, go back and tweak it, always searching for something better. That said, I have a few in my cookbook that I turn to come match time. I have a ‘match’ grade round that is short enough to load in the magazine for rapid fire stages, and the longer heavier rounds for the long range slow fire stages where you single load.

I will also use it to confirm the grouping of ammo for other rifles, like all the lake city stuff that is on the market.

Mr Wilson has it correct though, don’t feed it junk. Not worth it. Keep it clean, feed it well and it will take you anywhere you want to go.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top