Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2003 9:06:51 PM EDT
I am looking at getting my FFL.  I am trying to determine which line(s) of AR-15 style rifles I want to carry.  Which ones do you think I should pursue and why?

Thanks,
Darin
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Which ones do you think I should pursue and why?
View Quote
Bushmaster, 'cause that's what I have. [;D]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 9:37:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Troy's AR brand [url=ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=163620]Comparison Chart[/url]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 9:57:10 PM EDT
[#3]
This is going to turn into a pissing contest.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:07:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I havent had any problems with my Bushmaster.
It shoots pretty sweet. I'm happy!
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:11:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice spreadsheet.  It is not meant to be a pissing contest at all.  I have been looking at the market and trying to figure out which market segment I want to attack.

The Colt and Bushmaster space seems to be pretty well represented.  Online Rock River Arms seems to be doing very well.  Olympic arms seems to be dong well also.  

I need to find a product that runs well for the classes I help teach, and also have something that I can move at the guns shows and perhaps online.

Thanks for the input - not meaning to cause a flame war.  

Thanks,
D.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:12:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmm.. I was going to buy a Bushmaster for my first a few years ago, but someone told me the magwells were tight.  I didn't believe them, but ended up buying RRA instead.  From then till now, I've run into a bunch of Bushmaster lowers that had tight magwells.  They are tight on USGI aluminum mags, that aren't tight in my RRA.  Just FYI, and YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#7]
When you get your FFL, "BUY LE" Guns and Mags.

My semi M4A1 is a Colt LE M4, And my M16A4 is a Colt one too.

Heres a pic of the Colt out of the box:

[img]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/area51/100_FUJI-73%20009.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:33:53 PM EDT
[#8]
No reason you can't handle one of each brand.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:36:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, Bushmaster, Armalite and Colt, in that order.

That's what I'd do.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 12:58:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Colt - for prestige
Armalite - for show
Bushmaster - [s]for bagging chicks[/s] for actual hard use

Awww hell...I'd put my money on Colt or Bushmaster in no particular order.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 3:37:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm not the pro from dover but have heard a number of obsersvations from gun show dealers and FFL's I know so I will pass on what little I know.

I guess it really depends on the deal you can make from the manufacturers.  Some offer standard discounts off list and some offer the same but with volume discounts as well.

Oly's due to price move more but would guess have lower margins.

Colt move less but have higher margins.

Arms, RRA, and Bushmaster fit somewhere in between.

The Bushmasters are popular right now and selling well but alot of dealers have them.  Last show I went to there were three and it was a small show. There was one Armalite dealor, one RRA, and one Oly. Colts were smattered around one or two all over the place.

Competition in your area should be a consideration for it means less margin.  I would in the same senario opt for what the market needs in your area.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 4:23:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I haven't seen KAC mentioned. Good gun if you like the accessories that it comes with - two-stage trigger, RAS, folding rear sight. Good fit and finish.

Armalite and Rock River are also very good. KAC and Armalite are pricey. RRA gives you a great gun, great finish at a great price.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 4:28:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Bushie

Atually, AR15 ABCs will do just fine.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:11:41 AM EDT
[#14]
If you've got the cash - have a rack full of AK's, M1A's, and AR's!

You'll sell them, if you've got them on hand. I for one, am willing to pay a little more, if I can see it, touch it, and feel it, instead of looking at a catalog page!
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:27:08 AM EDT
[#15]
If I was going to sell rifles, I think I'd handle both Bushmaster and DPMS.  Bushmaster is the successful AR brand.  That's what most people buy.  DPMS has some nice SST bull and super bull uppers that I like, plus they have a stainless steel lower receiver.

Between the two company's websites, you get a lot of diversity, with Bushmaster focusing on carbines and DPMS focusing on target/sniping type rifles.

That's the impression I get anyways.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:51:31 AM EDT
[#16]
In my opinion (MY OPINION ONLY) Rock River Arms is the best that you can get. Excellent quality, fit and finish. Lifetime warranty.
I have two RRA LEO models and they will shoot rings around my Bushmaster. Some of the guys on my Dept. have Bushies and a couple of Armalites, I've shoot most of them and let the guys use my RRA. Three of my fellow workers have traded Bushies for RRA's.
Anyway thats just my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:08:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hmm.. I was going to buy a Bushmaster for my first a few years ago, but someone told me the magwells were tight.  I didn't believe them, but ended up buying RRA instead.  From then till now, I've run into a bunch of Bushmaster lowers that had tight magwells.  They are tight on USGI aluminum mags, that aren't tight in my RRA.  Just FYI, and YMMV.
View Quote

I have that problem with my Bushmaster.  The mag that it came with was tight and most 30 rd mags are tight, too - but for some reason most 20's fit okay.  Luckily I have a buddy that has tons of magazines, so whenever I buy one that's too tight, he swaps me (the tight ones always fit his Colt).  I still like the Bushmaster - it's just going to take a little work to build up a collection of mags to fit it (correctly).
CR
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:51:40 AM EDT
[#18]
A good dealer will give the customer what they want.
As a dealer, you'll be buying from wholesale distributors. Big distributors usually carry more than one brand.

It's not like being a car dealer, where you decide to sell Fords or Chevys, as an FFL, you can get "Ford" and "Chevy" from your distributor.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:22:20 AM EDT
[#19]
I second everything TomJ said.  You need to look around at what is in your area.  A good inexpensive brand with excellent customer service would be a must because you can move a lot of units and have someone standing behind you when issues arose.  My local hangout carries Olympic and they have a fast turn over rate.  I'll be in there one week and there are 6 of them on the rack, the next week there is 1!

Colt would also be a good line because of their name...the guy walking in off the street knows the Colt name.

Good luck!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top