Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/4/2003 12:24:26 AM EDT
I'm shopping for a good all purpose scope for my 16" AR. I read part of a link about Trijicon vs others and it sounds like most believe the AGOC TA01,TA31,TA44 etc. Is the way to go. I've been looking at Trijicon info and I'm wondering about the Reflex II with the triangle sight. I probably would have limited shooting at 200-300 yards, but would like to be able to shoot the distance if needed. Most shooting would be 100 yrd head shot size targets and CQC shooting.

The AGOC look like they are ranged to 800 meters or so which is a waste for my 16" rifle. I'm thinking that the Reflex II may be a better deal for my setup.  I could use the point for 100 or 200 and the 12.5moa triangle is big enough for quicker CQC sight picture.

Problem is I haven't had my hands on any of these yet.  I'm going to try to find a dealer in the Cinc, OH area that has them so I can eye ball them.  But until then does anyone have any input?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:46:32 AM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=150745&w=searchPop[/url]

[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=148320&w=searchPop[/url]

[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=153918&w=searchPop[/url]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:01:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Reflex/ReflexII
[url]http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15shootersSite/opticssights.msnw?action=view_list&row=17&viewtype=2&sortstring=[/url]
Be sure to click the link to read the review after you read the LtC's Comments.

ACOG Compact:
[url]http://groups.msn.com/ThePennsylvaniaAR15ShootersSite/compactacogreview.msnw[/url]

ACOG NSN:
[url]http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15shootersSite/opticssights.msnw?action=view_list&row=18&viewtype=2&sortstring=[/url]

ACOG TA31:
[url]http://groups.msn.com/ThePennsylvaniaAR15ShootersSite/ta31review.msnw[/url]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:36:57 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the threads guys. I've now moved to the Trijicon Tripower vs. Aimpoint M2 2x or 1x. I wish the Aimpoint had a triangle rather than the circle. I like everything about the M2 I've read, except I would like to have that point on the triangle for tight shooting out to 200yrds. The 8" @ 200 would be fine for most shooting, but I'd like to be able to tighten down on 100 or 200 for a groundhog.

Right now I'm leaning toward the M2. I haven't heard anything on the Tripower, but I'm figuring it's slower for CQC type shooting.  If anyone has any experience with the Tripower I'd like to here it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:18:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Whew, I see some disparity in the review. Reminds me of the NASCAR haters. 'Its ok, but the dot washes out'..

I would really wonder what percentage of the responders actually have a Reflex or are retelling another common myth...

Add me to the list of the those who have one (RII) and have no problems. I have the killflash, and the ONLY time it is needed to be adjusted to dark, it with the Surefire. The bright light DOES was the dot out...

I like mine. Battery free, always on...Always right on target...

Link Posted: 5/5/2003 10:15:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Well I know at least TWO Reflex owners that have had a problem.  One of them owned the 4moa dot I tested in the article (he was then sent both the 6.5dot and 12 moa Triangle for a comparison).  I posted his comments as an intro to my review so people can get a broader perspective.  BTW I even thought that the 4moa dot was 'dim' under most conditions w/o the polorizing filter.

I think it comes down to individuals.  He didn't think my 6.5moa dot was bright, I find it very usable.

[b]SharpShooter33[/b] You will be waiting a VERRRY long time for that Tripower.  Trijicon too busy with military orders and backorders to finish with the design work.

M2 & Tripower should be the same speed for CQB target engagement - with the Tripower's tringular reticle having an advantage at longer range precision.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 10:52:50 PM EDT
[#6]
My reflex worked great, when the lighting conditions were right.

It DOES fade out depending on the light conditions, and as SMGLee pointed out, it sucks shooting it at dusk.

The day I decided to dump it was the night I NEEDED to see it, and orange sodium parking lot lights totally made it disappear.

Aimpoint-man now.  I used to think using a sight that ran on batteries was crazy.  The new CET Aimpoints have an amazing battery life, and I have a dual battery module and a back up iron sight, so I have zero concern about being able to hit my target when I need to.

Read this article also:
[url]http://www.forcerecon.org/ForceHistoryInfo3.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:23:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Forest,
Thanks for the heads up on the Tripower. I was thinking of calling SWFA to see if they had them in stock.  If Aimpoint made there dot a triangle it would be the perfect scope for my needs. Sent them an email, but I'm not sure how workable it would be for them.
I may buy a M2 now and try a Tripower when they finally hit the market.  
It looks like the mounts may be interchangeable. We will see.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm waiting on the Tripower myself.  Till then I have my Reflex (orginal model!).  I've also got two new optics comming in: a compact ACOG and a EoTech.  I got a deal on the EoTech I couldn't pass up - its a new model and it will run from NiMh batteries.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:10:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I cant wait til everyone gets their Tri-Powers (eventually).  I LOVE letting other people spend their money to work out the bugs on first production run [:D]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:51:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Whats an ACOG? Who is Trijicon. What is the triple power. Hahaha, just joking guys! BTW, in regaurds to the title, a Reflex is actually considered part of the ACOG line of optics. All Reflex's I have ever seen, including my own, are stamped ACOG right on them.

[i]Edited because I wrote "stamples" instead of stamped. My brain has no idea what my fingers are typing sometimes![/i]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:12:56 PM EDT
[#11]
If you want a triangle and considered the Aimpoint 2X which sucks horribly as the 2X magnification was an afterthought, why not try a 2X Compact ACOG with red triangle reticle?  It also has the advantage of not using batteries.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok so I'm getting impatient. I want a new scope! [bounce]
I've been looking at the compact AGOC also.  I've kinda ruled out the reflex, because of the reviews.
I'm going to end up like the rest of you. At least one of everything and no money!!![beer]
I'm leaning toward the Aimpoint M2 right now. That will be my starting scope. Then a Tripower, AGOC TA31A(sorry New-arguy I like the triangle better than the doughnut [wave]), Compact AGOC TA44-2 (triangle again), and then a new Aimpoint M2 with a triangle on there new production in 201? [headbang]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Avoid the Tripower... when you really need the battery illumination (like when entering a dark building), the window on the top glows like the Las Vegas strip. Highly visible to the oposition, and definitely NOT stealthy !!

The black plastic cover thats supposed to hide the escaping light is a clunky afterthought, and if you forget to put it in place when moving from outside to inside a building (or don't put it on exactly right), you'll be putting yourself in a very risky situation.

I can't believe a company like Trijicon made such a dumb design faux pas. I'm pretty sure this is the real reason behind the indefinite delay to the US release of the product.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top