Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2003 11:04:17 PM EDT
I just bought a new flat top upper and am wondering exactly what I have.  I've read the many posts on distinguishing cast lowers from forged, but how can you determine if an upper receiver is forged or not?  Is there even such a thing as a cast upper?

I was told the upper was a Bushmaster, but it has some unfamiliar markings.  There's a keyhole mark behind the brass deflector.  And the slots are even numbered 2 through 12 from the rear going forward.  What did I buy???
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:22:48 AM EDT
[#1]
That's the mystery upper receiver!

I've seen them on RRA's most frequently, less so on BMs, and rarely on Colts.

They're excellent receivers. I even bought one just to have on hand for any future build projects I might undertake.

They're available from Pete in NH and Steve at Adco. Might be worth a call to hear what they have to say regarding their origin.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:04:19 AM EDT
[#2]
How is the machining inside the loop of the carry handle? Is there any seam left to be seen?  The seam on a cast part is very narrow, think pencil line thickness. The seam on a forged part is thick, around ¼" wide. This applies to anything cast vs. forged, not just AR receivers. But many times the seam is machined away and so it's harder to tell.

I don't have any idea if there are any cast upper receivers available.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#3]
May give you some clues for an upper too: http://www.olyarms.com/castorforged.html
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:00:52 PM EDT
[#4]
The only cast upper receiver I know of is on the Olympic Arms Plinker. The way to tell is the surface is rougher than a forged receiver and it's a A1 design. It's also not machined out at the rear of the carry handle.

Here is an Oly cast upper:

[img]http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data/500/6201A1upper-med.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:16:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info.  Sorry if I didn't make it clear, but this is an A3 (flattop) upper.  I should also mention that it seems to be of excellent quality.  The slot numbers are etched/forged into the receiver and appear to have been done with a great degree of precision.
I've compared this upper with my BM A1 and A2 uppers, and I'm almost sure it's forged.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 3:20:41 AM EDT
[#6]
It most likely is. Like I said Oly is the only mfgr I know who makes a cast upper. If it has the same exterior finnish as your forged lower then it's forged. Another indicator that it's forged would be the fact that it IS a A3 flattop upper with rail markings.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top