Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2003 8:20:16 PM EDT
2nd time out and my NEW RRA M4 jammed on me  Using Winchester 55gr FMJ.

Any recommended reading on clearing a jammed AR?

Here's what I see (using the diagram on http://www.ar15.com/content/parts/boltcarrier.html )

It looks like the "bolt" is forward.  The aft of the 8pt star is flush with where its supposed to go into the barrel) but the Carrier is still back about 1/2".

Its not moving forward or back with the charging hanlde or the forward assist.  And of course, there is a live round in the chamber.

I was able to seperate the upper from the lower.

Any ideas?

Cheers,D
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:42:50 PM EDT
[#1]
if you have the upper off can you remove the boltand the charging handle, take your cleaning rod and come in from the muzzel and push the round out.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:56:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Since you are home and have the upper off, it should be no problem.
When you were at the range, you hold the rifle by the handguard with your weak hand, hold the charging handle with your strong hand. With the muzzle pointing down range and being ever watchful of the muzzle, you slam the butt into the ground while pulling back on the charging handle.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 9:13:16 PM EDT
[#3]
1179.  I tried your method and it worked fine.

What should I know??  Why did it happen, or was it probably just a fluke?

Will clean it tonight (only 300 rounds through it)

Cheers,D
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 9:26:45 PM EDT
[#4]
How many rounds are you loading in a
magazine ? If you are putting 30 rounds in a mag this could be part of your problem .
I have a bushmaster m4 and if I put 30 rounds in a mag it will double feed on the first or second shot sometimes causeing a jam .this happens with high quality mags as well as low quality mags .
If you continue to have this problem try loading 28 rounds per mag. This should make a difference , it did for me.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 12:22:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Hmmmmm  Replace extractor spring with Wolf extra power....

LittleJacek
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:22:10 AM EDT
[#6]
well, i've been in the infantry for 11 years now and i would say it was probably the magazine was loaded to 30 rounds . we mostly load to 28 or 27 its  choice the mag itself could be bad.

2. yes clean your rifle very good before shooting both before and after shooting.
pay attention  to your bolt face and your chamber.

3 is this a new rifle ? check your bolt face often paying close attention to your extractor

i think it was the magazine but you never know
if it is the mag try loading it with less rounds if that doesn't work get a mag repair kit and replace the spring and follower. you can instant message me if you have any more questions i will be at church today till this afternoon so it may be this evening before i can post a reply.
thanks
john
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:19:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Actually, I was only loading 10-15 rounds into a 30 rd mad Thermold that I bought from my buddy that has never jammed in his rifle and only this once in mine.

Cheers,
D

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top