Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/3/2003 10:21:18 AM EDT
Wanted to ask who else finds the new Oly  PCR-30 interesting?  I find it vary interesting, but wonder about the quality of Olympic Arms.  Thanks Bob
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:06:39 PM EDT
[#1]
My PCR-5 is top notch. I like it better than my Colt and the Bushy I had. More accurate, just as reliable, better fit and finish. I personally have no use for an AR in .30 carbine. It is not as powerful as 5.56mm, less accurate, less range, and ammo is extremely expensive.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:10:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Bought two Oly Arms in the past two months, a PCR 16 and PCR 5, both are great shooters.  Good Luck!
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:40:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My PCR-5 is top notch. I like it better than my Colt and the Bushy I had. More accurate, just as reliable, better fit and finish. I personally have no use for an AR in .30 carbine. It is not as powerful as 5.56mm, less accurate, less range, and ammo is extremely expensive.
View Quote

You could say the same thing about an AR in 9mm as well, but the .30 carbine kicks it's ass.  The 30 would be for an urban sort of situation.  I would probably get an upper in this config, but then the uppers always seem to end up getting thier own lowers....
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 2:42:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't have any .30 carbine experience at all but the idea's intriguing. I can however attest to the quality of OLY's products. My brother and I did the initial break-in on our new rifles this past Tuesday. He's got a new RRA M4 and mine's a OLY PCR-4. Since we were faced with a session of cleaning after every shot or two for the first 100 rounds, we got a couple of friends to help out and we all took turns shooting and cleaning both guns for a couple of hours. Both guns performed flawlessly the whole time. The only thing I liked better about the RRA was it's trigger. That's not to say my OLY's trigger is total crap, It's a typical battle rifle trigger but the NM two-stage in the RRA is SWEET! It spoiled me so much that I now have to shell out about $100 to replace mine and as far as I can tell RRA puts these in most of their line as standard equipment. I've spoken on the phone with people at Olympic a couple of times and they seemed willing to spend whatever time needed to answer all my questions and were courteous. I have'nt shot for group yet but I've heard form other OLY owners and read in these discussions that OLY barrels enjoy a reputation for accuracy. I sure hope it true! Finally, they back up their guns with a lifetime warranty. Furthermore, they offer a 60 day money-back satisfaction garrauntee! This comes straight off their website...

"we guarantee complete customer satisfaction. If you are not completely satisfied for any product or warranty related reason* with anything purchased directly from Olympic Arms, simply return it to us within 60 days along with a copy of the original invoice, and we will be happy to provide you with a replacement of equal value, in-house credit, or a refund** (S&H Charges are not refunded), your choice.

This Satisfaction Guarantee also applies to all firearms purchased through an FFL dealer. If within 60 days from the date of the purchase of the firearm from your dealer you are dissatisfied with your purchase for any reason, your dealer may return it to us for a full refund of his entire purchase price (S&H charges are not refundable). No problem."

Hard to go wrong with OLY IMHO. Sorry for writing a "book" here![:D]  

Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:19:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't worry about the quality of the Oly.  I have three Oly's, one of which I plan on using as a patrol rifle, meaning I stake my life on it's reliability.  The guys at Oly are top notch too, always willing to answer questions.  The PCR-30 is interesting.  I think I would rather have a varment style or .308 AR before a 30 carbine caliber rifle.  Cool idea though.  I'm sure it will have it's place in many peoples' collections.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:22:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You could say the same thing about an AR in 9mm as well, but the .30 carbine kicks it's ass.  The 30 would be for an urban sort of situation.  I would probably get an upper in this config, but then the uppers always seem to end up getting thier own lowers....
View Quote

I have never understood 9x19mm ARs either. Its cool to have something different if you already have one or two in 5.56mm, but why have something the same size and weight in a comparatively weak pistol caliber. I love the 9x19 in pistols and SMGs, but I have never had use for a full size pistol caliber carbine. A lightweight, folding rifle like the Kel-Tec Sub 2000 makes more sense. A lightweight NFA AR style 9mm carbine with a 6-10" barrel would be cool.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:21:55 PM EDT
[#7]

I have never understood 9x19mm ARs either.  A lightweight NFA AR style 9mm carbine with a 6-10" barrel would be cool.
View Quote

I wondered the same thing until I looked at how much a case of 9mm costs.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:26:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I have never understood 9x19mm ARs either. Its cool to have something different if you already have one or two in 5.56mm, but why have something the same size and weight in a comparatively weak pistol caliber. I love the 9x19 in pistols and SMGs, but I have never had use for a full size pistol caliber carbine. A lightweight, folding rifle like the Kel-Tec Sub 2000 makes more sense. A lightweight NFA AR style 9mm carbine with a 6-10" barrel would be cool.
View Quote

That could be the difference in our points of view.  I have 5 AR's and a m1 carbine and a couple of 9mm carbines.  I can tell you there are some definite uses for the .30 rnd where 5.56 would be too much.  Kinda the same point as saying "why would anyone take a 5.56 weapon when there are so many .308 choices around.  There are lots of good answers.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:32:23 PM EDT
[#9]
My son has had an Oly PCR-4 since last October and our experience so far with both the personnel of the company and its product have been top-notch.

My feelings are similar to JTW2's on the .30 Carbine round ... probably useful in CQC, since its ballistics are the same/better than the .357 out to a full 100 yards. But then that's all the Ordnance Dept wanted it to be when they started production of 6.5 million Carbines in WWII.

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:49:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

That could be the difference in our points of view.  I have 5 AR's and a m1 carbine and a couple of 9mm carbines.  I can tell you there are some definite uses for the .30 rnd where 5.56 would be too much.  Kinda the same point as saying "why would anyone take a 5.56 weapon when there are so many .308 choices around.  There are lots of good answers.
View Quote

The 7.62x51mm has much more recoil than the 5.56x45mm, while the 5.56 does not have a higher impulse than the 9x19mm in a carbine. The 7.62 is also heavier than the 5.56 and less fit in a magazine. These factors are not true when comparing the 5.56 and the 9mm.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top