Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/3/2003 9:49:41 AM EDT
Very good course. If you can go I recomened. It now I just have to decided which colt product to use my coupon for. When you complete the class they will let you buy a handgun or a rifle at distributer cost.
PAT
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 9:52:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Your [b]first[/b] concern should be getting the trigger in your AR10......[lol]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't worry its on the list. That and some new rings. Going to a Colt school did enlighten me on several things. First off Armalite is not Armalite rather a name that was bought by the owner of Eagle Arms. So Armalites claim that they are the original is a very good marketing strategy but it’s not true.  Had some good discussions on the various other makes of AR15's. After learning what goes into making a gun mil spec for the military, I have a newfound respect for Colts. They get fined if they mess up on their products by the government. They don't use the end consumer for beta testing. But that being said they don't make an AR10. But I will get the trigger in ASAP.
PAT
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#3]
KEWL.  Wish I could say the same.

Dave S

Glad you kept the 10 and fixing it to your satisfaction.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:37:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Going to a Colt school did enlighten me on several things. First off Armalite is not Armalite rather a name that was bought by the owner of Eagle Arms. So Armalites claim that they are the original is a very good marketing strategy but it’s not true.  
PAT
View Quote

Yep - you've discovered the long-hidden truth about ArmaLite.  For a little more information you might check ArmaLite's site - under "History" where Mark Westrom, President of ArmaLite, covers this clandestine subject in detail.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:35:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll bet that it was a good training course.

The only reason that COLT isn't #1 in the civilian market is because of some of the dumb 'politically-correct' moves they made, not because they don't know how to make a civilian AR15!

I'll bet that if they had the chance to do it all over again, there's no way that BUSHMASTER would be the top manufacturer of the AR!
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:43:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey Shivan question for you as you seem to know the AR10 preatty well. Have you heard of anyone putting in the Colt Match single stage tigger and hammer in the AR10. The 4.5 pound trigger.
PAT
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:53:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hey Shivan question for you as you seem to know the AR10 preatty well. Have you heard of anyone putting in the Colt Match single stage tigger and hammer in the AR10. The 4.5 pound trigger.
PAT
View Quote

Glockfan, sincerely congratulations on completing the Colt AR15 Armourers Course.  Was this for a week or ____________???  (You know you want some type of AR weapon !!)

I have never heard of anyone putting the Colt match trigger in an AR-10 but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:56:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Actually I needed the class as there is no AR15 armorer in the department. I learned a lot. We just got the new rifles and its a liability to not have an armorer on staff to maintain them for simple fixes. I thought about saving myself some money and just dropping in the 4.5 pound Colt Trigger. The KAC trigger sure is nice however.
PAT
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Howdy -- I had the class a few years ago, and it was really great!  Was your instructor Ken Elmore, or someone else?
John
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:50:35 PM EDT
[#10]
It was Ken and I was very impressed with the class.
PAT
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 11:00:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Have you heard of anyone putting in the Colt Match single stage tigger and hammer in the AR10. The 4.5 pound trigger.
View Quote

uhh, ain't that the same as the JP Enterprises trigger? AFAIK, Colt just markets it under their name.

have one in a "new", used AR, but it's set at about #3.5 and very sweet!
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 10:16:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quite honestly I thought the pin sizes were different on the Colt Match triggers....

I may be way off but I know there are two different sizes {at least} of Colt trigger kits.

Anybody know?

My personal favorite is the 2-stage RRA trigger.

You can get one tuned by Hollinger for $125 IIRC.  The Hollinger second stage is supposedly very crisp and very clean break.....

At $90 shipped the standard 2 stage RRA from "D-M" here on this board is a great buy. It's a 1# second stage....

Nothing like the Knight's but a TON better than the Armalite -- IMHO.

Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Congrats on finishing the course.  To put that new knowledge to the test [:)], I was wondering if you could help out with a question that I'm puzzled by (and keep asking here)...

My Colt Match Target 2 buffer has a small hole that catches the buffer-retainer pin as the buffer pops out of the stock.  Is this normal, and what's the proper thing to do once the pin is stuck in that hole?  (I now rotate the buffer to avoid catching the pin, but what if someone doesn't know about the hole and the pin does catch?)
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:34:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I am not sure about which hole your speaking. The buffer spring retainer is held in by the buffer tube itself. Hold the retainer down by hand then screw the buffer tube until it holds the pin down. This will catch the buffer when the gun is broken down. I did not see a hole in any of the buffers on the rifles I worked on in the course. They were all M16's but that should not matter much. Can you post some pics.
PAT
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:47:49 PM EDT
[#15]
[url]www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/buffers/2pcbfr01.jpg[/url] gives an idea, though this buffer looks a bit different from mine.  The hole is on the left.  This picture is from [url]www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/buffers/[/url].

When I first tried to take out the buffer, this hole engaged the retainer pin.  I managed to shove the buffer back in by pressing on it hard, hopefully without damaging the pin or the buffer.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:19:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Where does one get info on this course? I attended the Glock armorer's course a couple of years ago and enjoyed it. I'd like to attend it again the next time it's in the area and would also like to attend an AR course. I just don't know where to find out about it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:15:09 AM EDT
[#17]
To be honest never saw a buffer like that. I would simply rotate the buffer wo the hole does not line up with the pin and remove the buffer like normal. Or you could hold the buffer down with a flat head screw driver to ensure the pin did not accidently go in the hole. The Colt course I attended was only available to LEO's and Military personal. I do believe they have a course for non leo's however. Ken did mention training a few people with registered M16's. So I would believe they do have a FFL civilain class as well.
PAT
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:42:57 AM EDT
[#18]
First off Armalite is not Armalite rather a name that was bought by the owner of Eagle Arms.
View Quote

Much as Colt is not Colt, rather a name bought by an Arab investor a few years back. They were managed so well that they lost the building in which they used to be headquartered and produced in Hartford. Big deal.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:11:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quite honestly I thought the pin sizes were different on the Colt Match triggers....

I may be way off but I know there are two different sizes {at least} of Colt trigger kits.

Anybody know?
View Quote

Sawlesales/Ken Elmore has the Colt single stage match trigger in stock ($115). I believe they are for large pin Colts only(?) I was seriously thinking of buying one or two of these before I heard Rock River was making a large pin 2 stage trigger for Colt rifles. Now I'm still a'thinkin[:D]

Pat, if you go the Colt trigger route for your AR10, make sure it has the standard pin size.

I've never used one of these triggers, but I do know how sweet the KAC trigger is.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top