Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2003 3:45:06 PM EDT
Can anyone comment on any differences in the performance of these two? And is there any reason I shouldn't install one myself, on a threaded barrel?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 3:51:48 PM EDT
[#1]
The mini-Y is a better choice for a shorter barrel rifle (cosmeticaly).
As for mounting on a threaded barrel, I would caution against doing this on a upper that is going to be used on a post ban lower!
Actualy, most comps are cosmetic in nature as the recoil from a 5.56 is minimal anyway, the only real function they serve on a semi auto is to protect the barrel crown from accuracy killing dings.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 4:10:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Resolve yourself to only shooting the rifle with ear protection if you get the Y-Comp or Mini-Y Comp.

You will absoloutly positively damage your ears if you shoot the rifle w/o protection.

My Bushmaster has a Mini-Y Comp and I like the feel and "blast" but I simply can never use the rifle as a "defensive" tool.  It's only a "range shooter" due to the Y-Comp and noise.

Of course, if it's all I had...and the chips were down...I guess I'd take the chance and use it but it's gonna cost.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 4:46:53 PM EDT
[#3]
On a post ban your best choice between a Y Comp or a Mini Y Comp is a fake flash hider! [:D]
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok for starters the Mini Y is shorter.  I have shot both and they both work just fine.  You just have to decide if your looking for the recoil reduction or a 'cool, but legal'(ie, fake FS) look if using on a postban.

A good comp is LOUD. Its not really bad when you are shooting but your buddy standing behind you or off to the side will probably complain.

Lots of people get rid of their comps for this reason coupled with the fact that recoil from a 223 really isnt bad at all. Simply the annoyance from the blast, etc. outweighs the gain in recoil reduction for them.

I like comps. I shoot alot of 3-gun type stuff that requires fast, accurate and multiple hits. Comps make this easier and faster. If I were going to shoot varmits from a rest or prone, I would not use one -- the blast and extra noise would outweigh the gain that I would get. However, if youre looking for fast follow-ups the comp route is the way to go.

The mini -y works great and does the job well both in semi and FA. The best comp I have found for the reduction of muzzle rise and recoil is the ZM weapons y -comp. Down side is they are about $100 (at least last one I bought from them was) and they are longer - about 2.5-3 inches (which bothers some people as it doesnt look cool,tactical, bad, mean, etc.). With this comp my rifle doesnt move vertically at all.  Its loud and often annoying to the old guys that shoot 6 rounds a hour while drinking their coffee and bitching about how BAD the world is now, but IT WORKS for its intended purpose - decreasing muzzle flip and recoil.

Similar thread
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=158513[/url]

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 4/30/2003 7:31:07 PM EDT
[#5]
That does help.

I liked the Y most of all for the cool factor. I'll admit it - style points are important to me! But - if the annoyance outweighs the performance gain, screw it. I'll get another $5.95 birdcage put on.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 10:32:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Resolve yourself to only shooting the rifle with ear protection if you get the Y-Comp or Mini-Y Comp.

You will absoloutly positively damage your ears if you shoot the rifle w/o protection.
View Quote

And I will add that he will absolutely positively damage his hearing if he shoots without hearing protectiong and the rifle is uncompensated, too.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 10:51:00 PM EDT
[#7]
NEITHER. They're both [b]loud[/b] as hell. If I could rebuy my Ar thats the only thing I would change. Now I'm eventually gonna get the RRA barrel with fake A2 or just deal with the crapo till the ban (hopefully) goes away.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 10:56:28 PM EDT
[#8]
[b]QUOTE: "Its loud and often annoying to the old guys that shoot 6 rounds a hour while drinking their coffee and bitching about how BAD the world is now"[/b]

Now THAT is the funniest thing I've seen online in a long time!

[ROFL]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:38:15 AM EDT
[#9]
 The only comment I have about it is I was sitting next to a guy who had a Busy with the 14.5" M4 with the mini Y-comp.  It wasn't the noise that bothered me (as I had earplugs in) it was the concussion.  I'm glad he didn't shoot it alot or I would have had a splitting headache.  The ports directs all the concussion back at about a 45 degree angle and right into the adjacent shooters.  It didn't stop me from ordering one of those uppers though, I just hope I don't start running people off at the range with it.  [:)]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top