Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/28/2003 8:14:57 PM EDT
Need opinions on tactical vest to operate an AR and a pistol out of with the intended use of normal play and SHTF scenarios.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I recommend somthing modular that you can change for particular roles or missions.  I am in the USMC Reserve and we are issued MOLLE gear which I think is pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 8:24:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Well I don't have one. I was looking for one but for the time being I've settled on just some thig rigs for 3 gun.

However, I have used some. Ifound That I didn't want to have a lot of stuff on the right side (i'm right handed) becuase it interfered with the hanging of my AR from the CQB Solutions sling as well as bringing it to my shoulder. So that is my tip. Hope it helps.
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 9:34:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Blackhawk tactical is good stuff. They use a ballistic nylon/titanium hybrid. Most prefferred by swat and special forces. Guaranteed for life. Pricey but worth it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 10:04:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 10:15:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Blackhawk is the only way to go,They have modular stuff also. Its what I use and I love it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the crossdraw and it is the bomb, and don't be tryin to pimp up on my ho's. Seriously, well made stuff. Engineered to function. Blackhawk all the way.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 2:43:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree with MOLLE/PALS vests/gear.However, if you're a civilian, spending $200-$300 on something you'll never use is kind of foolish when you could be buying more ammo,gun parts or even more guns.If you have to get something, look at one of the Eagle,Tactical Tailor or CQB Solutions rigs all for $125 and under.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 6:01:14 AM EDT
[#8]
If you don't mind spending a little extra cash, get in touch with Roger Skic at customtactical.com

He'll spend time with you figuring out how you want your vest set up and build it any way you want. His vests are incredible.

If you want to go modular a good(and fair priced)alternative is the Tactical Tailor 2 piece MAV .

You can configure the pouches any way you want....it's quick and easy to get on and off. You can unclip the two front buckles while going prone. Can be worn comfortably with or without armor and is pretty comfortable in conjunction with a pack.

*edited cuz my pic host just crapped out*
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 6:36:38 AM EDT
[#9]
If you want the pistol on the vest instead of drop leg, Blackhawk has a great omega crossdraw vest. Holds 4 pistol mags and the gun on the left and 6 ar mags on the right. I think they also have a lefty version.
Great stuff.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 8:09:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Blackhawk tactical is good stuff. They use a ballistic nylon/titanium hybrid. Most prefferred by swat and special forces.
View Quote

I think if you talk to the 'users' you'll find Blackhawk is not even close to #1.  Heck they have a tendancy to rip off other's designs.

Sure they have a good marketing campaign - but that does not make good gear.

Want to check out some better gear?  Go over to [url]http://www.Lighfighter.com[/url] and check out the Eagle, SOE, Arkis, Tactical Tailor gear.  Then go to the discussion forums and you can ask the been-there-done-that types what they prefer and why.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 8:17:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Blackhawk use a less material, they don't use the standard tough as nail Cordora nylon.  Blackhawk is made in Vietnam and the stitching is not as uniform nor as durable as the elites. but they do make some very good product and the price is there for the consumers.  I looked into their new STRIKE gear, it is actually a very well made product.  of course, I decided to go with SOTech modular setup with pouches from various different company to suit my load out.  matter of fact couple of the pouches are going to come from Blackhawk's STRIKE line.

I did exact what Forest suggested, I went to Lightfighter.com's forum and spoke to the people been there and done that and got enough intel to build my own rig.  of course, it will be a 500.00 setup by the time it is done, but I think if you buy something that will last, 500.00 is a small investment.  

For SHTF, you will need a setup that will carry you for days on end, you will need a really nice setup. but for shooting and messing around, you can get away with a simplier setup.  so therefore modular is the way to go, you can start out small with the basic load, and add pouch and sub loads as the budget grows and you find out what works for you and what to avoid.

Link Posted: 4/29/2003 8:20:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Blackhawk Omoega Crossdraw holds pistol, 4 pistol mags, and 6 AR mags, radio,hydration system, and has 2 utility pouches. I highly recomend it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 10:00:56 AM EDT
[#13]
If you are going to play around, do some shooting with it, and keep it around for SHTF scenarios, then Blackhawk gear would work fine.  If you are using it heavy and often, then look at something heavier.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 11:08:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I saw my friend's Blackhawk vest the other day, and I loved it.

[b]Question:[/b]

I am a smaller bodied guy...5'6" @ 134 pounds.
Will the Blackhawk vests fit me?  
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 12:20:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I like the setup on the Tactical Tailor vest
http://www.lightfighter.com/generic.html?pid=177
myself.  The mag pouches and placements seem more user friendly.
I also prefer not to support the Vietnamese industries when possible.

Link Posted: 4/29/2003 2:07:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Unicron, if you are anywhere near College Station you can try on this one.
http://www.eagleindustries.com/images/prodimages/p_TAC-V1-N.jpg
It just happens to be in the Equipment Exchange.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#17]
GunsABlazin,

Ordered a Blackhawk Omega pistol mag vest today from lightfighter.com (friendly people to deal with by the way).  They have a special of some sort that ships itmes for free if it is over $100.

The Omega pistol mag vest has 3 pockets for AR15 mags.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:02:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Got my Blackhawk Vest in last week.
Great service by lightfighter...they shipped the same day.
[url]http://www.lightfighter.com[/url]

[img]http://urbansniper.150m.com/armory/bh_vest_1.JPG[/img]

[img]http://urbansniper.150m.com/armory/bh_vest_2.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:28:04 PM EDT
[#19]

I'd personaaly stay away from Blackhawk stuff.

It is made in Korea, China, etc.  The nylon is lesser quality and often fails at tactical coarses, etc.

Also, they mysteriously come up with the same designs as Eagle, just renamed.  hmmm.

Eagle Ind. has actual Miltary contracts.  Army MPs use their stuff.  Plus, Eagle is based right here in Missouri.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top