Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/28/2003 6:05:25 PM EDT
Need feedback from all.  I'm stuck in Calif, land of almighty anti-gun Gods.  I've been blessed with one and only one opportunity to legally own a semi auto rifle.  Because it's a one time deal and there will be no second chances I want to make the best, most informed choice I am able to.  

Have been strongly considering an AR10 over an AR15,with eyes on new to catalog, Armalite AR10 A4CB SOF model.  However, there are lots of AR 15 parts around and one receiver with two uppers could equal two rifle platforms, very appealing.  Still, the big boom of the .308 seems inviting.

Have basically narrowed down choices of platform to AR10 or AR15, 20" or 16", rifle or carbine, some bells and whisles to all bells and whistles.  Have considered related issues such as: parts availability, service issues, ammo + mags cost and availibility, versatility, ect.

Rifle/carbine will be used for home security and show and tell.  Weekend range trips, 100-500 rounds per day from 50-200 yds at paper.  Occasional trips to desert and other places for weekend shooting 100-500 yds, having fun and showing off.

Just being honest.  Old jarhead wants to hang with the young bucks so to say.  All opinions, input, 2 cents, experiences, intuitions, insights, ect, will be greatly appreciated.  Let it rip.
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 6:21:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting question, especially since you're only going to be able to own one rifle.

Since resale is not an issue, I'd forgo my favorite manufacturer, Colt, and go with my usual second choice, Bushmaster. They make a high quality product with good parts availability. Their barrels are 4150 steel and are chrome-lined, as are the chambers.

16" barrel suits most requirements adequately and is easily portable. 14.5" will need a permanent attachment bringing it to an OA length of 16" negating any advantage of the 14.5" barrel if, in fact,any exist.

The M4 style barrel is a good compromise of weight and ruggedness if you can get past the weird shape.

A fixed collapsible stock is an abomination. Get an A2 stock or better yet an ARFX. They're more comfortable, rattle-free, and cooler looking IMHO.

Get the A3 receiver with carry handle for sighting option versatility.

That should be a good start!

Link Posted: 4/28/2003 6:36:27 PM EDT
[#2]
are you facing a financial or legal barrier to owning more than one?  If legal, why not buy one very good lower, and then build up your collection of uppers? It wouldnt be as nice as having seperate lowers for each upper, but you would be able to vary your upper style and barrel length.
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#3]
The versatility of the AR-15 makes it a good toy to play with. Also if you are going to shoot lots of rounds the cost of shooting will be less with a AR-15. The original cost will also be less. When you ask the question about which format to go with AR-10 or AR-15 remember the name of the site. You will get allot more people saying get the AR-15. Since you only get one rifle I would get the Colt or the Bushmaster. I did allot of reasearch before I purchased my rifle (I just got it thursday)and it came down to the Colt and Bushmaster. I ended up getting the Colt, it will have the best resale and should be the most trouble free right out of the box. As far as a 16" or a 20" most of your shooting it sounds like will be within 200 yards. The 16" will be lighter for screwing around. I did see that at times you will be shooting from 100-500 yards. If you do plan on shooting at 300-500 yards you better go with a 20". A 16" will lose much more accuracy at those distances than a 20". If you start with a 20" it will serve all of your purposes and then you can always get a 16" upper. Good Luck and have fun.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 5:41:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Hmmm - I thought AR15's were outlawed in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia.

For the shooting you're planning on doing, I like a 20" Heavy Barrel, with no flash hider.

The ballistics are a little better than a 16", and the noise goes downfield with the bullet.

I love the A3 version. I'd recommend an ARMALITE scope mount, and a good scope. That way when you want the 'classic' AR15 iron sights, they pop right on, with no loss of zero!
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 7:31:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hmmm - I thought AR15's were outlawed in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia.
View Quote

They are, I'm very curious about his "opportunity" [:\]
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Give some consideration to a Colt CR6724. Go to the Colt web site and check it out. Okay it has a 24" HB but there's no substitute for barrel length when it comes to down range groups. I get 1.2" groups at 200 yards all day long (on a benchrest, of course). No 16/20 inch barrel can match it. Ask the soda can I popped at 600 yards one day. Not a record - but - not bad either.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 6:46:58 PM EDT
[#7]
If I was going to get one gun to do everything, I would get the following for basic platform

1)ArmaLite, Bushmaster or Colt AR-15 (or derivatives)
2)Gov't Profiled or Heavy 20" Barrel
3)Chrome lined barrel and bore
4)Flat-top upper (A3 or A4 depending on manufacturer)
5)A2 or Phantom flash suppressor (ONLY and ONLY IF you are ALSO blessed to get away with AW ban legally)
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#8]
For the ammount of shooting you'r planing, keep in mind the .223 is an all day, every day shooter. (7.62 can put a hurtin on your shoulder) IMO the plane jane A-2 set up w/ 20" barrel will give you a solid start. Just decide what logo you want on you'r lower reciever( snake, hoarse, eagle, etc,) and lay down you'r cash.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 6:36:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#10]
This option has been on my mind as well.  It's good to see others have considered same notion.  Might be the point that tips the scale.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 7:16:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If I was going to get one gun to do everything, I would get the following for basic platform

1)ArmaLite, Bushmaster or Colt AR-15 (or derivatives)
2)Gov't Profiled or Heavy 20" Barrel
3)Chrome lined barrel and bore
4)Flat-top upper (A3 or A4 depending on manufacturer)
5)A2 or Phantom flash suppressor (ONLY and ONLY IF you are ALSO blessed to get away with AW ban legally)
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Rockriver National match lower. 18" Varmit Upper. Accurate and a pleasure on or off the bench!!
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 4:20:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Get a 20" flat-top.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 5:23:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've been blessed with one and only one opportunity to legally own a semi auto rifle.
View Quote

What is this opportunity???  Did you find a loophole?  Please explain.

Link Posted: 5/5/2003 1:09:26 AM EDT
[#15]
There are no loopholes.  L.E. Dept letter.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:06:00 AM EDT
[#16]
If you can only get one go with AR10.  I love mine.  Once you've got the lower you can put anything on it.  Armalite offers a .243 but you can proably find someone to make you a .223 upper as well, but if you're not going to hunt with it there really isn't any reason to get the .308 unless you want to make heads turn at the range.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:47:04 AM EDT
[#17]
danhits,
Don't want to start a "fight" here but per BATF, YOU have to also submit a written statement (along with Dept. letter)that the rifle is to be used for "Offical Duty only".  I am fairly sure that I am correct in submitting the follwing:

This rules out "home defense" as unless you live in your bailwick you would be acting as a private citizen, "weekend shooting trips" unless it is LE sanctioned marksmanship training or quals, and "showing off".

Thats why I decided not to get one on Department letter head myself, after some other officers and I looked into this.  Fortunately we can have all the AW's we want here in SC.  ATF has a good Q&A section that addresses this issue.  Just something to think about.

Excuse me, but where you live, I would not take any chances.  Good luck though, and my choice for just one...Bushmaster M-4A3 type.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Bowhntr6pt,
1st thanks Bow (+all) for insight. To clarify, had opportunity for one "new" AR, still have very tired, non le pre-ban.  Armalite AR10 SOF inspired my post.  Excellent points in your reply.  Others here concurred.  Appears you once in same position.  Have decided to do what you did. Will forego "opportunity" to someone else.  Will stick with and rebuild old pre-ban and avoid possible dilema. SOF bye bye.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:13:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Yet a third option to consider:  sell your preban and move to the United States.  Once here, you could pickup whatever rifle you want.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:42:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Get a Bushmaster XM15 E2S M4 Type 16in Carbine.

I love mine! I always make new friends at the range when I bust this sucker out!

[beer]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top