Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/27/2003 6:30:04 PM EDT
I remember seeing an article about this camouflage a while back and cannot find it now. Can any one help me find the company that does this camo job on rifles? I am wanting to have my AR15 Varmint rifle camouflaged. Thank you
Link Posted: 4/27/2003 10:31:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Why? If you drop it in the woods you won't be able to see it in order to pick it up.

[}:D]
Link Posted: 4/27/2003 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#2]
they have woods in AZ?
Link Posted: 4/27/2003 11:10:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Arizona can boast to having the largest stand of Ponderosa Pine forest in the USA. I live at 7000 feet above sea level in the middle of it. Arizona is not all desert! Does anyone remember the link to the MARPAT page? [8D]
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 10:27:52 AM EDT
[#4]
http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/mcub/utility/index.html
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 10:09:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't believe that know one remembers this post. Can anyone help me find this? [8D]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:10:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Are you looking for the one about "digitial camo"?  If so, look at combatcoat.com
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:53:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Check out www.sasarmory.com
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 4:22:08 AM EDT
[#8]
You realize that unless that rifle is [b]in[/b] the Marine Corps it is forbidden to have MARPAT camo.  [flame]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 4:38:13 AM EDT
[#9]
sorry but that simply isnt true..i have knockoff uniforms in marpat..the real marpat has obvious marine corps symbols and not so obvious symbols inbedded into it..plus the tags are supposedly diff.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:54:10 AM EDT
[#10]
There are no "not so obvious" symbols in the pattern. I know, I was on the design team.
Just the pattern itself and the EGA in it are patented.
Contrary to popular belief, the only reason we wanted to put the EGA into the pattern was so that when/if the other branches decided to adopt our uniform, they could not do it without either wearing our uniform with the EGA on it (which they dont deserve to do) or designing their own from the ground up.

A little birdie has told me that the Army is doing just that.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 9:15:58 AM EDT
[#11]
sniper and design team..wow ya been busy..also there IS a not so obvious symbol of the marine corp emblem and the CADPAT also has canadian leaf in their design..it is abstract..but it is there..
[url]http://www.hyperstealth.com/CADPAT-MARPAT.htm[/url]

page down and youll see the design...and the NOT SO OBVIOUS PATTERN..what the hell is EGA? is that the PATtern that im talkin bout?
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:25:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm surprised that a taxpayer funded organization can have "trademark or copyright" privlidges. The USMC might have spent "their money" developing the cammo, however, they are a not for profit taxpayer funded organization IIRC.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:32:42 AM EDT
[#13]
LOL somehow I knew someone would link that post to the hyperstealth site.
Not only is the Hyperstealth site completely wrong, but they also claim that the Canadians helped us design the pattern.

We did not ask for, receive or anything close to any help whatsoever from the Canadians.
The Canadians simply have a hard time acknowleding the fact that they designed a pattern similar to ours and that our pattern is superior in both color scheme and uniform design.

I have spoken to the owner and let him know that his speculations as to patterns hidden within the pattern itself were ill founded.
We did not hide any patterns intentionally or otherwise in the MARPAT. All the guy on the Hyperstealth site did was "cloud watching" trying to identify shapes when he had heard there might be hidden insignia in the pattern.

It may be a neat coincidence that he was able to pick out an EGA in the pattern, but you could also probably find areas on the pattern where you could find directions to Jimmy Hoffas burial site...[:)]

To answer your question, an EGA is the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor. The USMC insignia.

Sukebe, just because the Marine Corps has a pattent on the design does not mean they proffit from it. The reason it was pattented was to prevent anyone from being able to copy the pattern. Trust me that the Marine Corps will never sell rights to the pattern to anyone for profit.
It is simply to protect the design from Bubba and Jethro's red-neck hunting supplies from mass producing copies of the pattern.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:41:38 AM EDT
[#14]
die-tryin,

EGA = Eagle, Globe and Anchor, the Marine Corps emblem since 1868. The Brits have a CGW = Crown, Globe and Wreath. BTW, Our glode depicts one half of the world and the Brits the other half. I guess that's why American and British Marines always get along so well... between us we cover the world.

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:47:09 AM EDT
[#15]
yeah i was in USMC 89-93 and never heard that term b4 EGA..also the true pat. on MARPAT has the marine corps symbol in it, that IS obvious..but like i said i got sum knockoffs with the same pattern without the marine corps symbol..so obviously sumone is making them..i can get the knockoffs all day long at a local shop. so dunno..
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#16]
The knock off patterns are being made outside the states. I have seen some wacked out patterns from Hong Kong and Taiwan.

The problem you will find with the cheap imitations is that they do not know what dyes and chemicals to use in printing the fabric. You will find the imitation versions fading with normal wear into wierd colorations. The blacks will become purplish and the browns will turn shades of pink.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 11:05:07 AM EDT
[#17]
What about all the genuine USMC Marpat being sold on Ebay ?
Marines selling when they get out ?
Dunno ?

Thought about getting some....
But I don't want a Marine kicking my ass for
wearing it.

Not that I would pretend to be a Marine anyway,
I have way too much respect for them.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 11:07:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Dont worry. Yes it is pattented, but there is no law against owning them. The ones being sold on Ebay are some shrewd enterprising service people buying the uniforms on-base at uniform sales for $25 and article and selling them for $100 a set.

THEY can get in a LOT of trouble for doing that, but you, the buyer have nothing to worry about.

People outside the USMC want these uniforms on a large scale. People are realizing how well these uniforms work in almost any environment.

We could not believe how, during the test phase, that the MARPAT totally outmatched any and all other patterns including the traditional pattern that everyone is familiar with.

Have you seen any photos of Marines wearing desert MARPAT and how well it blends in?
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 11:57:03 AM EDT
[#19]
No I haven't seen the desert cammo.
I was however interested in the Woodland Marpat.
I think it would blend in very nicely here
in East Tenn.

I also like the cut better than the old BDUs.
I like the slant pockets and they wear looser
don't they ?

What type of material are they made of ?

I will probably get a set if I won't get killed
by a gang of pissed-off Marines.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:41:08 PM EDT
[#20]
As a former active duty Marine,i wouldnt care if you guys who were never Marines wore MARPAT at all as long as you dont wear the EGA because you didnt earn that.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
As a former active duty Marine,i wouldnt care if you guys who were never Marines wore MARPAT at all as long as you dont wear the EGA because you didnt earn that.
View Quote

I agree with that on the EGA.  I want to find a new cover USMC style without the EGA but cant find them anywhere
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 4:19:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Just get the item, get a set of cuticle scissors, and remove the embroidered emblem.
Problem solved.
As far as the cover (cap) goes, I would not worry about the iron on decal. They fade out over time anyways.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:40:09 PM EDT
[#23]
The thread that I am looking for referred to the issue of patent rights on the MARPAT design. They claimed to have changed the design slightly and made their own. It was on an M4gery and was made fun of quite a bit. I am looking for more of a desert camo scheme for the area that I want to use my AR in. [8D]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm surprised that a taxpayer funded organization can have "trademark or copyright" privlidges. The USMC might have spent "their money" developing the cammo, however, they are a not for profit taxpayer funded organization IIRC.
View Quote

The government cannot patent anything, patents cannot be filed in the name of a company or organization but have to be in the name of a person or persons.  However, the persons may and do assign the patents to the government.   Trademarks and copyrights can be filed in the name of an orgainzation so the Marines may well have copyrighted the pattern.

The rub is that I've been a government contractor for too many years and I have been told for all of those years that EVERYTHING that the government develops or is developed at government expense is in the public domain, the only exception may be classified items but I'm not sure that if they leak out that they don't belong to us all.

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Thank you EKrutz64, this was the site that I was looking for. [8D]

[url] www.combatcoat.com[/url]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:17:10 PM EDT
[#26]
[(:)][b]They[/b] would have to be able to find me with my MARPAT camouflaged AR15! [nana]

Quoted:
You realize that unless that rifle is [b]in[/b] the Marine Corps it is forbidden to have MARPAT camo.  [flame]
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just get the item, get a set of cuticle scissors, and remove the embroidered emblem.
Problem solved.
As far as the cover (cap) goes, I would not worry about the iron on decal. They fade out over time anyways.
View Quote

So does that mean that since I am not a Marine yet I cant wear the t-shirt that the Marine Corps gave me when I got in the DEP?

also will I get the new MARPAT while I am at Paris Island or afterwards?
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:14:04 PM EDT
[#28]
As a former Marine, I could not care less if a civilian wanted to wear any and all parts of the Marine Corps uniform. The only people who [b]must[/b] earn it are Marines. The only people who [b]must[/b] wear it with honor, pride and dignity are Marines.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:01:58 PM EDT
[#29]
SamB, of course you can wear a T-shirt.
A T-shirt and an actual article of the Marine uniform are two very different things.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 9:45:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Hmmm this is really suprising...
If this thred were posted in the GD it would be 6 pages long and full of people bitching that civis dont have the right to where marpat and if they buy it and wear it that thier ass would be kicked every time they went out in public...
Where is STLRN anyway? LOL
thanks for keeping it civil.
When I get the money I may buy a set off ebay to see how it compares to some of the commercial bowhunting camo my bro has.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 2:23:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Marines, please don't kick my ass.
I picked up a set of the woodland marpats from ebay because the Marines new utilities are the best in design and functionality.  I am not a Marine, but I have alot of respect for those that are.  Please don't make me remove the EGA.

Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Ask a Marine, having experienced one of the proudest moments in his life, with tears in his eyes, his body torn with exhaustion yet still standing tall immediately after the Crucible (or on the drill field before the crucible days like myself)when that Drill Instructor stood in front of him, pinned that Eagle, Globe and Anchor on him and for the first time ever, called him "Marine".
An honor payed for in blood. An honor so steeped in tradition and values that some consider it to be cult-like.
If a Marine who earned the honor to wear that emblem has no problem with you wearing it...then I guess it's ok [:)]
I honestly dont like for non-Marines to wear the EGA because when I see someone wearing it, I assume they are former Marine. It is simply something that we hold dear and the symbol is recognized as a calling card for other Marines to acknowledge upon.
I mean, would you wear a Mason lodge ring if you are not a Mason?
Would you wear a Harvard alumni T-shirt if you didnt graduate from Harvard?
You have to put yourselves in our shoes to understand, I guess.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 10:05:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Personally, I don't much like to see people wearing an EGA if they're not marines, either (Official insignia; this doesn't apply to showing support, such as a USMC t-shirt); and I'm an Army vet. As for MARPAT itself, it's ONLY a camouflage pattern (and a very damn good one, at that.)
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 11:04:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Contrary to popular belief, the only reason we wanted to put the EGA into the pattern was so that when/if the other branches decided to adopt our uniform, they could not do it without either wearing our uniform with the EGA on it (which they dont deserve to do) or designing their own from the ground up.
View Quote

Kinda makes the marines sound like a bunch of jerks with a superiority complex, no?
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 11:07:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Thought about getting some....
But I don't want a Marine kicking my ass for
wearing it.
View Quote

Just color over the EGA to make it look like another dot in the pattern. Wouldn't that work?

Originall Posted by MarineSniper8541:
People are realizing how well these uniforms work in almost any environment.
View Quote

Just like cops say that they're allowed to own machine guns but not the "civilians." This looks to me like just another government scheme to keep the really effective stuff in their hands while making us common folk easier targets.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:34:42 AM EDT
[#36]
I understand Marines paid a price to get that EGA. They have my respect.

Now about the MARPAT. I dont see any pattern in it. Maybe I am looking at it wrong or dont have a good pic to look at. Is the EGA actually made into the pattern all over?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Kinda makes the marines sound like a bunch of jerks with a superiority complex, no?
View Quote

That has a nice ring to it.....

[b]"a bunch of jerks with a superiority complex"[/b]

That should be the Corps' new motto. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:05:16 AM EDT
[#38]
I believe there are little EGA symbols scattered within the patern (the "obvious" symbol mentioned above).  

If you look at the HyperStealth link posted above they've got some pics trying to show that some of the larger blocks are EGAs (the "not so obvious" symbols mentioned above).  I don't see them, even with them pointed out on that site, and MarineSniper8541 has stated they're not designed in.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:52:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Well I am glad someone else does not see them. I thought it was just me or maybe some one had been smoking to many funny cigs.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top