Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/20/2003 6:48:41 AM EDT
I was looking into getting a 16" bull barrel AR.  Anybody have any insight on the Olympic PCR-16 or the DPMS Panther Sweet Sixteen?  Also which is the better company?  Thanks

Link Posted: 4/20/2003 8:48:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Both are good companies and make a fine product.

DPMS uses a Button Cut Wilson barrel and Oly uses a Broach Cut barrel.  Some say that broach cut barrels are more accurate, but it depends more on the shooter.  

Out of all my AR's, my OLY has the best fit and finsish hands downs.
Link Posted: 4/20/2003 8:58:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree with 223Rem, both companies are great to deal with and their products are excellent.  Olympic's UltraMatch barrels are broach cut which adds to accurace, the PCR16 just has the standard button rifling.  

I do like the picatinny front gas block on the Olympic rifle though - which would allow you to mount the detachable iron sights if you ever decided to.  I also believe that the Oly barrels are superior in accuracy as compared to the DPMS Sweet 16.
Link Posted: 4/20/2003 9:41:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a Bushmaster!
Link Posted: 4/20/2003 12:01:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Already have two Bushmasters and I don't think they offer a 16" bull barrel.

Link Posted: 4/20/2003 1:05:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I have dealt with the Oly PCR-16 and it is a great shooter, I could be getting better groups but that is my problem and not the rifles and have spoken with the Oly's Customer Service and they were more than happy to help.

Link Posted: 4/20/2003 4:07:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Oly sucks ass.  Get a colt.
Link Posted: 4/20/2003 4:13:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Oly. I like mine better than my Colt and the Bushy I had.
Link Posted: 4/20/2003 4:29:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I had the Oly "16 with the full length handguards. An outstanding weapon.[devil]
Link Posted: 4/20/2003 9:15:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I have bought from Oly (first about 15 years ago) and watched their products over the years.  They were the first to offer A3 type upper... their first ones were made from A2 uppers, carry handles cut off, and a rail pinned on.  They were also the first to make pistol caliber AR's.  They have been real pioneers in making AR's better.  They make most all of their parts "in house".

Yes, they had a few problems with some cast receivers, and they corrected them, and will take care of any customer with a legitimate complaint.

I have also dealt with DPMS since they came on the scene, and they, too, give good service, and provide good products.

I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:49:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Oly sucks ass.  Get a colt.
View Quote

Now this is a real educated post....How many parts does "Colt" actually make???

I would say they are both good companies or they wouldn't be around...

Had great dealings with Olympic....
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:23:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Actually Oly's complaints have dropped off dramatically on this site in the past year or two.  It used to be really bad, and the defects were absurd!

Bushmaster has taken the lead in the quality control problem dept lately!

I don't know how many parts of this or that colt makes, but I do know that I've never read a thread titled "my colt won't eject spent casings" or "my colt won't feed rounds", etc.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top