Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/10/2003 9:29:20 AM EDT
I think I read in a book that the gas port should be cut in a groove and not on the land. Anybody have any technical info on this? And why?
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 10:38:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I never heard this before.  My guess is that it might not have as much pressure bearing against the bullet surface, and so it might scrape off less guilding metal..??   Maybe it obturates better when the bullet pases by the orifice. Maybe just a stupid guess...my $000.02
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#2]
How would you be sure its in a groove before drilling?

I think once they get the barrel extension in place the index pin would be top dead center and you measure back the correct distance drill for the gas port.

I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 12:32:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure how they do it. I'm sure that technically it could be done. I just wonder what effect it has and why someone would say it makes a difference. I figured that in the land the bullet jacket might scrape more, but that was my $.02 also.  Believe I saw it in the Zediker book Competative shooting AR15.  Looking for someone that could explain that one so a non-tech like myself could understand it.

I'm sure that Kreiger, Shilen or Douglas could get the gas hole in the right spot. My question is why? Or if you are cutting barrels and you cut @ a Land n Groove line (ie part on land part on groove) wonder what that would do?

I have 1 barrel on a land and 1 that looks like it's on the edge.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top