Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/9/2003 8:24:47 PM EDT
Haven't purchased my first AR yet, almost!...Any preferences between flash hider, muzzle brake, nothing at all???

How about Bushmaster's Y-Comp, Mini-Y-Comp, AK-Style?  Is it true that exhaust gases blow back toward the shooter?  Is a muzzle brake typically required to get accurate followup shots?

Thanks Guys...
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 8:39:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the Wilson combat brake, its a little bit louder but I like it a lot.  Can't really tell you much about the other brakes, though I heard the Y comp is a little bit too loud, and the blast will knock all your ammo boxes off your bench.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 8:46:55 PM EDT
[#2]
The only braked AR I have is a Colt 6400C with its huge pop can brake.  If you want one to look really good and your going post-ban, get one of KKF's A2brakes.  I plan on having one put on my 20" postban when I quit being such a tightwad.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Sneezy, ANOTHER FL guy! Please check the link im my signature. If you live anywhere near Northern Central FL, come shoot with us!

You are only allowed to use a flash suppressor (not flash hider) if you get a preban gun. If you get a preban, get the flash suppressor.

If you are getting a postban, my prefference is the full crowned muzzle (nothing on the muzzle) but its really just a matter of opinion.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:06:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm a rank newbie, but it's my opinion a 20" barrel doesn't need a brake/compensator, while  a shorter barrel might benefit.

Bottom line: try before you buy.  You should be able to meet with a few AR aficionados who have a mix of brakes/comps and get a feel for what works best for you.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:15:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I use to have a Bushy shorty with an AK muzzle break.  Now I have a Bushy V-Match with out anything on the end of the barrel.

I really didn't notice any difference in recoil.  Let's face it, AR15's really don't have alot of recoil to begin with.

Yes, the muzzle break looks cool. [8d]

If I had a preban I [b]would[/b] have a flash suppressor.

Rambosky

Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:24:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the feedback, guys.  Great advice.  New-Arguy, I checked your website and it looks like a ton-a-fun!  I used to compete in local IPSC matches (Tampa area), and this looks alot like that, only more fun.  I'll be up for a visit in the next few weeks for sure!  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top