Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/6/2003 1:24:13 PM EDT
I am curious what everybody thinks is the ideal Mil-Std-1913 rail length for an SPR style FF Tube?  

What do you think would be reasonable to mount on a long range AR-10 sniper/spotter weapon and how much rail would you need to mount it?

I assume a lazer, flashlight, AN/PEQ Illuminator pointer would be possible accesories but what else would be more logical for a long range weapon?  Anybody think a back up optic could be mounted at 9:00 just in case?

Finally, how long would you want the bottom rail?  I know I nowmally only have a Bipod and my 1907 Turner Sling mounted on my bottom rail.  A forward grip would be a joke (in my oppinion) on a rifle like this.

So, help me out, what would be the ideal configuration for an AR-10 as shown below and what attachments might get added to the rails?

Related topic at www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=44&t=139252 to see if Kurt could make these!
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 11:26:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd say the top rail should go the whole length of the tube and the bottoms and sides should go at the very minium half way. I, like you only intend to mount a bipod and a sling swivel on the bottom. I would not care if the rails went the full length though because you never know what you may want to do later.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 5:57:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Laser, flashlight, pointer?? On a sniper rifle?? The rifle's range is greater than the chance of seeing with any of those three items. Why bother mounting them??
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:23:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Laser, flashlight, pointer?? On a sniper rifle?? The rifle's range is greater than the chance of seeing with any of those three items. Why bother mounting them??
View Quote

That is my point....!

With a carbine or even a full length AR-15 (M-16) I like the KAC RAS (FF or not) because I think there is very good reason to mount these accessories.

As with the KAC SR-25 MK11 Mod 0, I am curious what would be reasonable to mount on such a weapon and just how much RAIL would be needed to mount these parts?

(((Off my own topic)))

I am also thinking about trying to come up with a tripod system that would mount to the bottom rail of an forend.  I am also thinking that a pair of AR-15s, One a Lefty upper and the second a traditional. would make a slick gattling gun setup!  Use the RAS rails to attach everything together and mount them onto a tripod setup.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top