Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/4/2003 8:10:06 PM EDT
I have a SP1 upper and want to change to an A2 putting my short barrel on it. Can I set the headspace myself or do I need a gunsmith?
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#1]
"Setting" headspace would most likely be a gunsmith function, but merely checking it is all you should have to do.  A gunsmith could also do this for you quite easily, or get yourself some GO & NOGO gauges from [url]www.fulton-armory.com[/url] & do it yourself.  (They come w/ instructions.)
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 9:50:12 PM EDT
[#2]
The barrel headspace is set at the factory when the barrel extension is installed.  Since you are using the old barrel on the new receiver, the headspace will not change.  The barrel headspace is determined by the barrel extension and bolt only. This can be checked with out the barrel being installed in the upper receiver. Also, the barrel nut tightens the barrel extension to the upper, which is tightened to the barrel, and does not change the headspace.

Note: Since your receiver may be a SP-1 and the new A-2 being a mil-spec upper, you may have to buy an adapter to allow the two to work, due to the different size pins/holes.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top