Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2003 11:23:44 AM EDT
Is it ok to use the magazine of the AR-15 as a field expedient replacement for a bipod or not? Does it matter what kind of mags you use to do this?

I've heard varying opinions. Who has actually tried it?
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 11:36:15 AM EDT
[#1]
This is one of the multitude of myths that has built up over the years.
The magazine catch works both ways. If the magazine is in good working order, and the AR is in good working order, you will have no problem.
The Marine Corps- that is, not the Yellow Glass, rifle re qual nazis, but rather the gunfighter side- SOTG and Force Reconnaissance, have been teaching this for years.
We teach this at Gunsite also. I have never seen a malfunction related to this.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 11:58:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the speedy response!
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:10:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I did it with my M16's in the Army all the time.  It will hurt nothing and actually works pretty well.

Bradd
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been doing this for awhile myself. So far, no malfunctions as a result of it; but I have noticed some minimal wear on the magazines where the mag catch rubs against the mag as the rifle recoils.

Not much of an issue if you have access to cheap replacement mags via LE/Military but may be an issue to some if you are buying your own prebans.

For me personally, the wear has been so minimal that I am going to keep doing it until I see some reason not to (i.e. a mag or related part fails as a result).

Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Pat,

Have I mention how glad I am that you're here lately as our myth-slayer?

[):)]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 1:07:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Lumpy,

Thank you.

We have enough problems getting people to fight correctly.
having myths related as "facts" doesn't help.

The magazine as a monopod makes for a steadier shot. A steadier shot means- if you do everything else right- the certainty of a first round hit increases.
I like that..
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 1:11:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I do it.

Anytime my marine friend sees it, i get
poo-poo'ed.

I've never had any accuracy problems. Keep an eye on your floor plate though.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 1:33:19 PM EDT
[#8]
[. Keep an eye on your floor plate though.[/quote]

Think Mag-Puls....
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 12:09:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I appreciate all the responses, but I have one follow up question...

For those of you who have done it, have you tried it with any synthetic mags, especially thermolds?

The reason I ask is this:
I tried manually cycling my AR with pressure on the mag to see if there was any drag induced. With my aluminum mags, there was no noticeable change, but with my Thermolds I noticed a distinct increase in drag. Now I don't know if this would be enough drag to induce some kind of malfunction so I guess I'll have to try at the range. But I guess Thermolds have more play than aluminum mags.

So anyone done this with Thermolds?
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Student,

I may be odd man out on this subject, but Ive used Orlites and American-made Thermolds (not Canadian) and find them both very breakage prone under hard use.  I had lots of back seam splits, especially if the magazine hit something on the base with any force.  Ive also experienced this with Israeli and South African polymer Galil magazines.  The only rifle magazine Ive not seen this happen to yet are the metal-lined polymer AK "waffle" mags.  I prefer my magazines made of metal.

(bracing for the Thermold-fan replies)
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Student,
Sorry. we use the mil issue mags, or- in the last 1.5 years, the steel H&K mags.

I don't have enough experience with the thermold (and none with the orlite) to give an intelligent opinion.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Pat, Im assuming the HK mags are good? Ive yet to actually get my hands on one...
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 2:47:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Lumpy,

They ar, without a doubt, the best magazine we have ever seen,
The downside is the weight- a factor when considering the number of mags carried, but the reliability offsets any of that.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 2:59:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks Pat, I'll take the plunge and get a couple.  I usually only carry 2 spares in my vest, so the weight shouldnt be a problem.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top