Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/3/2003 1:09:51 PM EDT
I am looking for some input on comparing the AR to the HK assult rifles.I am interested to know if anybody has see or owns the Special Weapons HK clones.I am especially intrested in the comparison of the 9mm AR to the HK94 or SW5.Also the AR10 to the HK91.Any input will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#1]
You know...I have never dealt with Special Weapons, but from everything I've read both here and at Full-Auto.com, I would run far and fast in the opposite direction of anything SW markets.  I'm sure somebody will step in here and give you some personal experiences.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 1:25:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Besides the fact that HK's are more complicated than necessary, they are also heavy, and produce more recoil than a gas-operated design.  9MM is the only caliber in which an HK is as good or better as an AR.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 1:28:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Besides the fact that HK's are more complicated than necessary, they are also heavy, and produce more recoil than a gas-operated design.  9MM is the only caliber in which an HK is as good or better as an AR.
View Quote

Or other pistol calibers. The HK is less reliable than the AK, more expensive, more accurate, better finished, better designed, cooler...

The speshul wepins is an el cheapo knock off that comes with bad customer service.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I hear the recoil bit a lot, I don't buy it.  I buddy has a G-3 clone, shooting it side by side with my L1A1 which is at lease a pound heavier the G-3 generates LESS recoil with the same ammo.  However given my choice between an AR and a HK in the same caliber I will opt for the AR. I just like the design better, A2 sights are better than the HK drum sight.  The AR tears down much more quickly with no tools.  I think the AR might be a tougher design.  The only edge the HKs and clones have IMHO is the availbility of hi cap mags in .308
Regards
Q
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 3:05:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I have three AR's - I fired HK's in Germany - (the SL-7 and SL-6 I believe ) The politically correct HK91/G-3 and a 5.56mm rifle based on the HK-93 or whatever.(Not based on the new G-36). The HK-91/G-3 does seem to have more recoil than a FAL - just my experience and I hate the ergonomics, sights, etc on the HK weapons - I had no reliability/accuracy problems but don't understand all the hype. For handguns, I saw more Germans shooting Sig Sauer or American brands then I did HK's - the HK has a certain cult crowd of followers - but not for me. I'd take an MP5 in a heartbeat if offered the opportunity - but I still know Class III owners/dealers who prefer the Uzi much more over the MP-5 for ergonomics. The German Bundeswehr still issues the Uzi to troops. The MP-5 can be found in the German border patrol and GSG-9 - but not in regular line units.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 3:06:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

HK... complicatd??????????????????
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top