Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/3/2003 7:08:40 AM EDT
DPMS has a new A-22 which is an AR lower and a new upper made for 22 long rifle $495.00, and it is very costly.  Conversion kits $139.00 for the AR-15 is cheaper but is it as accurate? Has anyone here used either? And what is your opinon? Thinking about buying one or the other...
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:05:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Ciner unit that I love.  It has never jamed.  I got the 22LR to plink, I shoot it through a carbine and it is accurate enough to kill milk bottles.  My AR is a Colt SP1 with the high twist rate so the 20in barrel is, I would say accurate.  I would suggest going with the conversion, if for no other reason, you can buy a hell of a lot of 22LR for $350.00 youll be saving.

I am collecting parts to build a dedicated 22LR upper, just so I can eliminate the gas tube and to increase the range of my golf ball launcher.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 3:14:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I posted about the A-22 couple weeks ago. Do a search with "A-22". It's in the pistol forum. It (A-22) i in the newest American Rifleman. DPMS bores the center out of the chamber adapter, then inserts the "nose" of the barrel into the ring, and system uses a std 22LR chamber and barrel. DPMS uses the Colt system, but same could be done to the Ceiner kits' chamber adapter.

Somebody stole the "SEARCH" button again.....
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:31:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Ciener .22 conversion $139 I bought at Bushmaster - love it! Had some probs at first until I realized I had somehow bent a lip on the mag in so it had a problem chambering rounds, but after I bent that back out perfection. The only downfall it is hard to find high cap mags - not news I'm sure, but extra 10 rounders are about $30.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:29:13 AM EDT
[#4]
The only negatives I've heard about the conversion units is that they can make a mess out of the gas system.  There may be some issues with lead shaving.

This may be a non-issue if every shooting session is followed by a few 223 rounds to blow it out.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:17:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd believe that Southern_Raider, I opened my AR up today to clean it for the first time since I put the conversion in, it was a mess, a Gritty mess!!! Maybe because I had put many (700 or so) rounds through it (because it is sooo cheap since the conversion).  
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#6]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=145537&w=myTopicPop[/url]

Conversion kit in a .223 barrel will not be as accurate as the DPMS.  If you already have a lower you can get just the upper from DPMS for about $400, maybe less from a dealer.

I have a Ciener kit and will probably get a dedicated upper for it this summer.  I won't get a DPMS because I want to be able to shoot the .22LR with iron sights.  If you are happy with the configuration of the DPMS--16" flattop w/o front sight--then I'd go for that.  If you can live with 2-3" at 25 yards accuracy you'll be fine with the kit.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 2:00:13 PM EDT
[#7]
There is write up about it in this months issue of "The American Rifleman".
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 3:57:43 PM EDT
[#8]
The .223 bbl is .224, too big for the .221 diameter of the 22 LR.  Thay's why the dedicated 22 LR bbl/upper is better.  Sure your AR upper works, but not as well as a dedicated upper.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top