Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/2/2003 10:29:15 PM EDT
Okay, newbie question here.  Whats the best way to remove the upper, i.e. what tools etc, and method so I don't scar or break something.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 10:33:44 PM EDT
[#1]
"Remove" it how? Simply from the lower?

If so, then I simply use some sort of plastic brush or rod to push the pins out.

If this isn't what you're asking then perhaps you need to be a bit more specific?
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 10:35:30 PM EDT
[#2]
That's what I was asking, just wasn't specific enough I guess :)  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Take one each hammer, grasp head and drive handle down on side of pins that are sticking out, grasp heads of pins and pull until they stop. Remove upper from lower. That easy and that quick.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:32:16 AM EDT
[#4]
The [b]pushpins[/b] should come out by simply pushing on them from the right side and then pulling out the rest of the way. That simple.

Sometimes when you first fit them together it will be a little tight and a punch may be needed to get them going but if you push on them hard enough they'll move.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:36:03 AM EDT
[#5]
if your asking a question like this
1.  remove the magazine
2.  cycle the action and make
sure the gun is unloaded.
3.  put the gun on safe.
4.  push the rear pin out by pushing on the left side of the pin.  the small side.  the upper will cam on the front pin so you can remove the bolt and "T" handle.  
5.  push the front pin out by pushing on the left side.
4.  do not let the hammer fall when the upper us removed from the lower.  if it happens you can damage the rifle.  

Link Posted: 1/3/2003 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Something must be wrong with me! I use my thumbs to push the pins like I did in the Army.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 9:39:30 AM EDT
[#7]
My EBRs are still relatively new, so the pins are tight, especially the AR 10.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 2:47:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Of course I would not recommend this, but most field maintainence when I was in the Army was done with a 5.56mm round.  Stuck pins we would just punch em out with a round to clear the weapon. Of course speed was our goal and not so concerned with a big scratch on the receiver.  We used the rounds to adjust our sights, open the rear butt stock hatch, and about anything else it's pointy little head would fit in.

I have one AR that the front is real tight, I used a pencil eraser head, not at an angle, and gave it a hit.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:03:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Of course I would not recommend this, but most field maintainence when I was in the Army was done with a 5.56mm round.  Stuck pins we would just punch em out with a round to clear the weapon. Of course speed was our goal and not so concerned with a big scratch on the receiver.  We used the rounds to adjust our sights, open the rear butt stock hatch, and about anything else it's pointy little head would fit in.

I have one AR that the front is real tight, I used a pencil eraser head, not at an angle, and gave it a hit.
View Quote

[:D] Thats how I did it in the Army and still do if I'm In the field !
                           [kill]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top