Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2003 2:12:26 PM EDT
LEO weapons are legal for civilians to purchase. Just got off the phone with the sheriffs dept. and they said they would walk me trough the process of registering my leo bushy M4gery as a SBR.  This town is the best place to live, I feel sorry for you people who have dickheads anti weapon freaks for law enforcement officials,
HAPPY NEW YEAR to All
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:22:59 AM EDT
[#1]
LEO BM are still post-ban AW even if you SBR it, and illegal for civilians to own. Only MG can have all the evil features you want. An SBR still has to comply with the '94 AW bill.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 1:56:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I have never heard of an LEO weapon being able to be purchased by any civilian.  There is no way to register it by federal law.  An SBR still has to meet the AW limitations if it was made after Septmeber 1994.  Having a preban civilian legal weapon or a registered Class 3/NFA weapon are the only ways to have the "evil" features.  Anything else is a violation of federal law.  

However if your local sheriff likes to tell the ATF to go take a flying leap, then I would like to know which town you live in bedcause i would like to live there.  However, since you have now told the internet community of your local sheriff's department's blatant disregard for federal laws, i doubt they will be allowed to continue doing so for much longer.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#3]
LEO's are legal for civies, as long as it is not automatic and setup as a post-ban, and purchased thru private sales (such as from a police officer or some one who legally acquired it), and the serial # is clean (ie; not taken off a dead cop or such).  the atf agent i talked to said the same thing, they also said there is only about 300 leo's on the market for civvies to buy, call and ask if it makes you feel better

anyways thats all ive got to say for right now
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:20:00 PM EDT
[#4]
So, you are only talking about an AR with a barrel length of under 16", which ain't a whole lot of good, given the hoops yer gonna have to jump through.  You are not talking about LEO models (preban), but rather a SBR AR.  Big difference.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 11:02:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
LEO's are legal for civies, as long as it is not automatic and setup as a post-ban, and purchased thru private sales
View Quote

You would then have a standard post-ban rifle with the exception of being stamped "For law Enforcement or Export only"... But you cant add any "evil" features to it, even if you register it as an SBR.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 11:36:45 PM EDT
[#6]
So what's the point of getting it?  Just for the "Law Enforcement Only" stamp?  You could have just gotten a brand new rifle from the factory and registered it as an SBR.  I hope you got a good deal on it.  Otherwise i don't understand why you got it or why you are making an announcement about getting it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 11:13:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I got a killer deal on it.  It has the numbered KAC RAS. 20  30 round mags a bunch of tens and twenty rounders. arms qd mounts, an aimpoint, a M-4 marked barrel w/ muzzle break, and an extra 16 inch A3 hbar. Flip up rear sight.  And a molded case,  so I think I got a good deal on it,  plus I like the LEO stamp on it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 11:49:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Excuse my ignorance but what is "SBR"?

Also, can someone explain the advantages of buying a LEO AR if it has to be, and remain, in a postban configuration?

[>:/]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Excuse my ignorance but what is "SBR"?

Also, can someone explain the advantages of buying a LEO AR if it has to be, and remain, in a postban configuration?

[>:/]
View Quote

SBR = Short Barrel Rifle  
A rifle with a barrel shorter than 16" and/or total lenght under 26". These weapons are subject to registration under the 1934 NFA. More info can be found here [url]www.titleii.com[/url]

There is no adventage in the LEO AR unless you like the markings....
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Be careful.  Local law enforcement opinions do not matter even if that opinion comes from the CLEO himself, this is a FEDERAL law which falls under FEDERAL jurisdiction.  If an ATF officer saw you, as a regular civilian, with an LEO rifle in your posession, you are up shit creek until the situation is rectified with local LE and your ownership is confirmed as legal.

Contact your local ATF office and get it in writing that it's okay.  A standard Post Ban lower receiver costs approx $100, which is NOT worth the trouble you may very well get into since it sounds like you'll just have a neutered Post Ban AR anyway just stamped with "Law Enforcement or Government Use Only".

Oh yeah, one more thing...I just noticed you mentioned that you received twenty 30rd magazines with the deal.  If those magazines are marked for LEO use, then I know for a fact that they are illegal for your to own.

Like I mentioned above, just be careful about this.  Having all these things and this killer deal wouldn't be worth hard time.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 2:07:14 PM EDT
[#11]
ArmyInf is right.  Get it in writing from the ATF.  It wouldn't be the first time an ATF official told someone something over the phone and it be completely wrong to the higher ups in the ATF and other organizations.  At least if you have it in writing, it is a little more official.  Otherwise the guy could just say he doesn't remember telling you it was alright for a civie to have an LEO rifle.  

I know it seems like we don't believe you and that we are riding your butt about it. but we are just trying to save you some trouble should it ever become an issue.  There are those who don't like us owning weapons like these and every law broken just gives them fodder to throw back at us.  Just try and make everything as official as possible and get every single word an approval in writing.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 2:09:22 PM EDT
[#12]
BTW do definitely check those mags for any LEO or date stamps on them.  Sometimes they can be overlooked by the seller, but do check them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 2:40:47 PM EDT
[#13]
the mags all say 10-91 and 9-91 for date stamps and 1 doesnt have any date stamp at all, but yes im working on getting it all in writing, and signed, by my county sheriif and the atf agent here in town, by the way both are my friends so it shouldnt be a prob getting that done, as i go out and shoot with them at times, but thanx for the advice on getting it in writing,  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top