Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2003 10:08:34 PM EDT
I can't decide between the varmint kit from M&A or the bull barrel kit from JT. I like the fact that the M&A kits use Wilson barrels, JT's use Shaw. I also like the picatinny gas block on the M&A, JT uses the round type like DPMS. Also M&A uses a 2pc free floated hanguard, I really don't know if I would like this or not. I would probably go ahead and go with M&A, but everyone on this board talks so highly of JT. I rarely ever hear anything good or bad about M&A. Are they as good as a JT kit? I have a stripped Olympic Arms lower just begging for a home. Can someone please help me decide.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 10:52:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have experience with either, but from what I've read JT is better than M&A.  I like the rail type gas block also, but M&A falls in with Sherluk and Model 1 to me. I have a varmint upper from one of these (don't remember which one) with a Wilson barrel and I'm not happy with the groups. There Varmint barrels don't group any better than a standard 20" barrel. If your looking for a tac driver, I'd say get a flattop upper and send it to CLE for a Douglas, Shilen or Kreiger barrel. I know I wanted a AR that shot like my Heavy barrel bolt rifles and I was disappointed in my varmint upper. For the extra$$$ I think you will be much happier with a custom barrel. If I had mine to do over that is the route I would have taken (and will take in the future with my Oly Lower)
[bounce]
Do a search on MOA stats or look for the topic under discussions. You can see some frustration with Wilson barrels. Just don't invest the $$$ for a varmint upper and expect a tac driver. It may or may not happen with a Wilson barrel. It's assured with a Kreiger, Shilen or Douglas!!! My .02
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:07:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I HAVE ORDERED FROM BOTH AND J&T IS A LOT BETTER M&A STOCK SETS SUCK AND ARE USED AND UPPER FIT IS GOOD ONE TIME AND SUCKS THE NEXT TIME GO WITH J&T WORTH THE MONEY
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:27:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I have had both and the J&T kit was much better. The M&A parts were cruddy. Some of the little springs were all gunked up and basically nonfunctional.  The stock was used and roughed up.  It had feeding problems initially.

The J&T kit had all new parts, the trigger and other fire control parts were Colt, and it NEVER jammed.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:35:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I have experiance with both M&A and J&T. Both have served me well. I had a problem once with M&A lower kit. Disconnectors were junk, but M&A made it right. Good customer service, at least for me. I have never had a problem with J&T and they even sent an extra front pivot pin detent & spring with each lower kit. Sure enough, detent went flying through air and was lost. J&T knew how easy that is to happen and fixed my problem before I was even broke. I now buy all my lower parts from J&T. Uppers are up to you. Do you want a Shaw or Wilson barrel? M&A= Wilson. J&T= Shaw. AIRBORNE!
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Which barrel is better, Shaw or Wilson?
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 9:14:49 PM EDT
[#6]
i got my JT standard 20" kit together a few weeks ago and have been ignoring my responsibilities to AR15.com ever since, but who can blame me for shooting over web surfing :). JT makes a great gun and ive seen mostly 2" groups with South African ammo and Lake City crap with open sights. i dont think that is too shabby. No FTE, No FTFeed, and no FTFire that was operator caused (easing down the charging handle).
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:44:40 PM EDT
[#7]

JT is the SHIT.

not because of the excellent product, but because of the even more excellent customer service.

if you have a problem they make it right.

it is that simple.

-Spaceman

Link Posted: 1/7/2003 9:00:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought their 20" expedition kit, it is awesome! and really accurate! All the parts have a quality finish, no machining marks at all. The collar is a very nice semi gloss jet plack, matches my RRA lower perfect. The stock on mine is an A@ and it is one of the nicest A@ stocks I've seen, has a sorta grity feel to it, very very nice. Plus the staff and service is unbeatable.
Hope this helps.
Chris
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top