Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/30/2002 12:52:23 PM EDT
I have a couple simple questions... but a little background first for fun. I received as a Christmas gift from an aunt, the entire gun collection of my deceased uncle. He passed away almost 10 years ago, and was ill many years prior to his death.

In his collection was an AR-15 A1 from the American Historical Foundation which was produced as 1 of 1500 "Vietnam War Commemorative M16." This rifle has a bueatiful high-polish blueing with gold plated parts, the gold image of a dragon, with the "Vietnam War Commemorative M16" engraved in gold and so forth. there is a seal holding the charging handle to the carry hand stating that it has never been cocked, yet alone fired or stripped.

For 15 years this rifle has sat, and now I'd like info on good proper long term care. Such as what waxes to use on the finish, cleaning and preserving the bore, etc. (I'm not looking for how to clean an AR, I can do that... in fact I built the one I own currently. I'd prefer not to crack the rifle open if it can be avoided.) I've written the AHF for methods they and their museum curators prefer, but I thought maybe your collective wisdown could help, too.

Also, the rifle is engraved on the left side of the mag well, where the manufacture and serial numbers usually are, with "BFI" and "Portland, ME" I do not have a BM to compare, but is this how Busmaster, based in ME, stamps their rifles? I'm assuming it's a BM rifle from this stamping.

I'll post pictures soon, once I get them scanned (in the next day or two).

Thanks for any help guys!!!!!!!!!

rvb

ps.
Also in the collection was a pre-ban Colt 'Sporter II' A2 shorty w/ 16" bbl, telescoping stock, and a nice tasco scope w/ illuminated crosshairs.      [<|:d>]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:21:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I'll post pictures soon, once I get them scanned (in the next day or two).

View Quote

I posted photos at http://photos.yahoo.com/rvbrkba
in the AR folder

Unfortunately, Yahoo has become bastards, and you can't see the full-size photos. Anyone know of a good public place to post???

Thanks again,
rvb
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:06:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey, I like the gold plated flash surpressor.

Well, the first thing you need to do is find an appropriate place to store this firearm.  I volunteer my safe.  :-)

--Mike
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:44:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Very nice rifle. I would only wipe down the outside and never open it like you said. White cotton gloves would be the best thing to do when handling it too. I might send a cotton patch with oil down the bore once in a while but with a brand new Dewey rod set aside for this rifle only.

Take care,
Mark
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top