Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/30/2002 10:50:19 AM EDT
Our awbansunset.com Congressional Scoreboard (www.awbansunset.com/scoreboard.html) lists ratings for Senators and Representatives that indicate how he/she would likely vote on a renewal of the AW ban.  This rating based on a number of factors, including their previous votes on the ban (where applicable), voting record on gun control in general, and any recent statements made regarding the expiration of the ban.

John McCain (R-AZ) is causing me much headache.

While he did vote against the ban, and historically has a decent record on other gun control issues, he just seems to be cozying up with the antis a bit too much in the past few years.

If you click on his "2004" dot on the Senate Scoreboard page, you'll see a quote from him that says he opposes gun bans.  While "assault weapons" are not included in this statement, there is no qualifier either ("I oppose bans on HANDGUNS", or "I oppose MOST gun bans" for example), so I would lean slightly towards him the benefit of the doubt that he would oppose a renewal.

Also, issues2000.org lists him as saying "Repeal federal restrictions on the purchase and possession of firearms by law-abiding citizens. "

Sounds pretty good.

On the other hand, he is quoted in 1999 as saying he was "open to voting for an assault weapon ban, depending on the details."

Hmmmmm...... well, presumably this was to make himself more appealing to soccer moms, etc., but still.

And, as an alert reader pointed out, he has aligned himself with an organization called "Americans for Gun Safety" (which reportedly will push for a renewal), and supports their proposals pretty much all the time.

So, what we really need is for an AZ resident to report back to us on any response letters received from McCain that might clarify his position on the renewal of the AW ban.  Please post any info here, and/or e-mail to [email protected].

Thanks!

--Mike
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top