Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/30/2002 8:02:31 AM EDT
Hello guys, I'm new to the forum / AR-15s.  I feel the gun for me is a BM M4/A3.  Among other things, I'm wondering how much you've paid for yours?

The qualities that lead me to this weapon in particular were:
-Lightweight
-Stout barrel
-Removable carry handle for possible later addition of a scope
-Bushmaster for their quality

Relating to a beginner:
-Is the reduced sight radius going to mess up my form, or be overly difficult to learn on?
-Is the pinned stock more or less useless, and I'd be better off w/ a trapdoor M16A2 style stock?

Thanks for the help,
James
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:31:51 AM EDT
[#1]
The pinned colapsable stock is an abortion IMHO, while they do have a "cool factor" it is much harder to get a good cheek weld, and a good solid shoulder mount with a collapsable stock.  I am fortunate enough to have a pre ban with a collapsable stock so I get the advantage of being able to shorten the OAL if I wish, other than that singular advantage the collapsable stock bites (ergonomically speaking). Go for the dissapator or M-4 gery with the short A2 type stock, you will be happier I think.
Just my $.02, FWIW.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:35:22 AM EDT
[#2]
The pinned stocks only advantage is weight.  If you want a slightly shorter and lighter stock than the A2 stock check out the CavArms A1 stock.  It is not expensive and is shorter than the stock you have now although it is a little heavier and more robust with better cheek weld.

The short sight radius will hurt you for close in shooting but you will need some form of optics to shoot as well as a full length rifle at greater distance.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:46:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Are there any problems I'd encounter adding an A1 or A2 stock to the M4?

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/pcwa2x14m4my.asp

I don't think I can get the above M4 w/ a different stock, so that'd mean me buying one aftermarket and taking off the one that came w/ the gun, correct?
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 10:36:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Among other things, I'm wondering how much you've paid for yours?
View Quote

[url]www.aimsurplus[/url] has them for $819.
-Is the reduced sight radius going to mess up my form, or be overly difficult to learn on?
View Quote

I don't think so.  Just be prepared to practice a lot.  Iron sights take a lot of work to master.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm running an Aimpoint on mine, so the cheek weld isn't that much of a factor.  I prefer the lighter stock.  All in all I put together the rifle for around $800 (500 for the upper and 300 for the lower). So far I have over $1000 bucks invested with add-on (Aimpoint, KAC mount, KAC 600 meter BUIS, Badger Tac Latch, KAC Bungee sling, etc...)  In the near future, I'm plaaning on picking up a Preban and putting all my goodies on that, but so far the Post band is getting the job done.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 12:17:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Are there any problems I'd encounter adding an A1 or A2 stock to the M4?
View Quote

No in fact the pinned telestock uses the full sized buffer tube and buffer of the A1 and A2 stock.

[url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/pcwa2x14m4my.asp[/url]

I don't think I can get the above M4 w/ a different stock, so that'd mean me buying one aftermarket and taking off the one that came w/ the gun, correct?
View Quote

Yes that is correct but the good thing is you can sell the pinned M4 stock for more than the CavArms A1 stock costs so you end up saving money.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top