Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/29/2002 9:54:00 PM EDT
I have chosen to purchase my first AR but I need help choosing between two of them. The one that looks most appealing is the ArmaLite M15A2 although the Bushmaster XM15 E2S is still in the back of my mind. Please post any of your thoughts.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 10:04:13 PM EDT
[#1]
May I suggest a Colt? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Probably not a nickles worth of difference between the two. You'll also find a turd in any brand if you look long enough.

IMO, simply get the one you like the best & costs the least. I own Armalite in an AR-10 & my AR-15 is a Colt.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 10:11:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I went with Bushmaster and would suggest it. I got the A2 style with a 20" stainless steel barrel. I think they are built very well and can do just most anything that any other AR can do and then some.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 11:40:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Both are excellent rifles, both are accurate, great worksmanship, and excellent customer service.  I would suggest both rifle to anyone looking for an AR.  It just depends on what you are looking for in an AR.  Bushmaster is the closest to a mil-spec as a civilian M4 will get.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:02:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I have 1 Bushy & 1 Armalite. The Armalite was the first one.They both look & work fine. They were both about the same price. You won't go wrong with either one. But I am a sucker for green furniture.
In my case the Armalite has a better fit & finish. thats a matter of opinion.
Choose the one that you like best. Owning these rifles are like Lay's chips.
"bet you can't have just one"?
Good luck, and be safe!
S.A.J.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 9:30:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I would go with the ArmaLite or consider a RRA AR-15A2.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 12:29:27 PM EDT
[#6]
[green]Armalite[/green]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#7]
ARMALITE=[+]:D]
I GOT A M15A2. IT'S TIGHT AS HELL!!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:11:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I was in the same boat as you, and I went with the Bushmaster. I took it out yesterday, and it won't feed and the bolt doesn't stay open after the last round. I'm disappointed, especially if I have to send it back for seven months.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:21:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Glasware,

I wouldn't go around badmouthing Bushmaster, considering this is your 1st AR,  and considering, from your description on the other thread you have a bad magazine. Get a real USGI mag and try it again, I'm sure you'll be pleased. Bushmaster makes a fine weapon.

As for the choice between Armalite and Bushmaster, I own a Bushy and am completely happy with it. Not a single problem, 0 misfeeds, 0 FTF, 0 FTE.

Comes down to what you like and what's available to you locally. I don't think you will go wrong with either. I like Bushy better.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:21:20 PM EDT
[#10]
My vote is for Bushmaster. Chrome lined barrel, and 5.56 chamber.

IRC, doesn't Armalite only chrome line their chamber. As well as using a .223 chamber? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong there.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

IRC, doesn't Armalite only chrome line their chamber.[red] As well as using a .223 chamber? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong there.[/red]
View Quote

YOU ARE WRONG THEY 5.56 CHAMBERD IN ALL CHROME-LINED BARREL ITS BEEN LIKE THAT FOR OVER A YEAR.......
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:49:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Just remember...

there ar probably 50x the number of Colt owners here, look at the numbers.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:53:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just remember...

View Quote

JUST A #
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

IRC, doesn't Armalite only chrome line their chamber.[red] As well as using a .223 chamber? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong there.[/red]
View Quote

YOU ARE WRONG THEY 5.56 CHAMBERD IN ALL CHROME-LINED BARREL ITS BEEN LIKE THAT FOR OVER A YEAR.......
View Quote

Damn dude, no need to yell. I stand corrected. I hadn't heard that they started doing that.

But I'd still prefer a Bushmaster. I've been more than happy with all the ones I've owned.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:55:50 PM EDT
[#15]
i have both. They are both Excellent weapons. Armalite wins in the fit and finish but not by much. Armalite also has a lifetime warranty. That to me is a big plus. If they are the same price i would go armalite.

mike
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd go with the Armalite. They're both good manufacturers so it really doesn't matter. [bounce]
I wouldn't buy a colt though. Too many odd ball little colt spec not mil spec parts (ie. pivot pins, action blocks, bolt carriers,etc.)[moon]
I know I'll catch some flak for that one, but it's always fun to stir the pot!!!!!
time to duck before the onslaught of colt rebuttal [peep][sniper]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#17]
ArmaLite or Bushy? Either will keep you happy. I like ArmaLite; the finish and fit are better.  Having said that, I find Bushmasters tend to be a little cheaper, but both run just fine.

I own an ArmaLite M15A2 I bought Election Day, 2000, 'cos I really thought Algore was going to be elected and I wanted to buy a semi-auto rifle before it became illegal to do so.

I love to shoot it, but ammo does get expensive. If you want to save some money get an AK clone- 7.62X39 ammo is about 1/2 the price of .223.

Whichever brand you get, make sure you get good USGI 20 or 30 rd. mags for your AR. No aftermarket steel mags and no Orlite or Thermold mags- the only time I have ever had FTF or FTE is when I have had Orlites on my ArmaLite. Most problems you will ever have with ARs stem from bum magazines.

(If Orlies and Thermelts are so good, how come the Israeli and Canadian armed forces use USGI mags now?.....)

Both Bushies and ArmaLites have chromed chambers and barrels. Some National Match AR types offered by both manufacturers do not- check the catalogues of both manufacturers for more details.

Oh- BTW: if it's a Colt or Bushy, it's a copy of an ArmaLite [:D] Think about it![thinking]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Save yourself the stress - [b]Get One Of Each[/b]!
[:D]

You'll have multiple AR15s eventually anyway....
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#19]
tooly, what exactly is it that makes Armalite [+]:D] ?

They are good rifles, but why [+]:D], why are they better than another? Please provide some factual and objective information on what makes them so [+]:D]

I hear a lot of people saying Armalite has a better fit and finish, but where I work we have two Armalites and a Eagle. All three have handguards that are the sloppiest I have seen. They dont fit together at all and rather large gaps are easily seen. Does that make it a bad rifle? No. Does that indicate to me a superior fit and finish? No it does not.

This is not to say Bushmaster has a superior fit and finish either. In my experience, I think they are both prertty equal on fit and finish. They are pretty equal on almostevery count actually. Except, the Bushmasters tend to cost less, and they use better steel in their barrels. If you found a good deal on an Armalite, I wouldnt hesitate to jump at it. But all else being equal, I would go with the Bushmaster for better steel in the barrel and saving a few dollars.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#20]
You can't go wrong with either.  I chose a Bushmaster because of the slightly lower price and excellent customer service record.  I talked to a Bushmaster rep on the phone when I was deciding and he was very informed, helpful, and objective.  Mine has NEVER malfunctioned after its first 40 rounds (break-in).
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just remember...

View Quote

JUST A #
View Quote

Since the population is larger you are bound to have more responses w/Colt and Bushy, is all.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:11:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Damn dude, no need to yell. I stand corrected. I hadn't heard that they started doing that.

But I'd still prefer a Bushmaster. I've been more than happy with all the ones I've owned.
View Quote

Sorry man, didn't mean to YELL, my bad!!![:D]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:52:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are good rifles, but why [+]:D], why are they better than another? Please provide some factual and objective information on what makes them so [+]:D]

I hear a lot of people saying Armalite has a better fit and finish, but where I work we have two Armalites and a Eagle. All three have handguards that are the sloppiest I have seen. They dont fit together at all and rather large gaps are easily seen. Does that make it a bad rifle? No. Does that indicate to me a superior fit and finish? No it does not.

This is not to say Bushmaster has a superior fit and finish either. In my experience, I think they are both prertty equal on fit and finish. They are pretty equal on almostevery count actually. Except, the Bushmasters tend to cost less, and they use better steel in their barrels. If you found a good deal on an Armalite, I wouldnt hesitate to jump at it. But all else being equal, I would go with the Bushmaster for better steel in the barrel and saving a few dollars.
View Quote

For ONE lifetime warranty ,that right there is enough. On mine fit and finish is tight,my furniture is tight don't rattle at all,and handguards is not much anyway buy new ones if it's such a hassle ,anything else with them dame armalite's .Oh why did you not answer my question on the 4140 and 4150 if you did not know which grade steel it was,whould you know the difference right, ALL that matters is it's chromelined .It is MY opinion,that ARMALITE is [+]:D],just like everyone has an opinion...Like I seen on someone site (IF I BUY A COLT CAN I ACT LIKE AN A$$HOLE TOO)OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT!!!
View Quote

bushmaster is [+]:D] happy now!!!
GO CHROME OR GO HOME!!! REAL ORIGINAL.
But it's all good ,happy new year man
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 9:13:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I hear a lot of people saying Armalite has a better fit and finish, but where I work we have two Armalites and a Eagle. All three have handguards that are the sloppiest I have seen. They dont fit together at all and rather large gaps are easily seen.
View Quote

I must admit, I've not seen this problem before. Have the owners contacted ArmaLite about the handguards? If ArmaLite caused it, acc. to their lifetime warranty, they will replace it, no charge.

BTW Eagle Arms guns are different from ArmaLite guns. Eagle Arms guns have no chrome barrels or chambers, less of a warranty and have a rougher fit and finish. They are more inexpensive, for people who can't afford to pay more. They still function the same, though.

Except, the Bushmasters tend to cost less, and they use better steel in their barrels.
View Quote

Bushmaster makes a great gun, but exactly how different is the steel in their barrels from that of other manufacturers, incl. ArmaLite? What exactly makes their barrels better?
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 9:27:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Bushy's are [+]:D], i own three, my buddy has armalite the only way armalite is better than bushy's is that they have .243 and .308 cal guns

colts [sex] BUSHY'S and Armalites

With colts [xx(] you pay for the name just like weatherby and browning
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 10:12:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 12:55:56 AM EDT
[#27]
I've got 3 Armalites and fit/finish etc was excellant on mine.I think bushmaster is just as good.You won't go wrong with either choice.This is like what's better---Ford or Chevy?
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 4:34:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Save yourself the stress - [b]Get One Of Each[/b]!
[:D]

You'll have multiple AR15s eventually anyway....
View Quote

That's it exactly... I bought another Bushy Shorty yesterday, sort of a 'merry christmas/happy new year to me' thing.  I've currently got 5 ArmaLite and now 3 Bushy.  This new Shorty was in every way the equal of my ArmaLites in fit and finish.  My dealer had 4 Shorty rifles still sealed in their boxes and I looked at them all.  Each was as nice as the other.  Bushmaster has really been building a quality product.  You can't go wrong with either ArmaLite or Bushy.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 4:57:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just remember...

View Quote

I am one of those Colt owners and I say [green]Armalite[/green].
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 6:11:47 AM EDT
[#30]
ArmaLite !!

("AR" still stands for ArmaLite.)
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 4:15:05 PM EDT
[#31]
A few years ago I was looking to buy a new AR15 and after comparing them I chose a Bushy for it's closer relation to the weapon I carried in the service. I wanted a 5.56 chamber among other things and back then Armalites were .223. I got the Bushy for $160 less than the Armalite.                                              
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#32]
I got both and as a side note- got an RRA.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 11:00:27 PM EDT
[#33]
I used a Bushmaster with IMI Ammo in Pre-ban new Orlite magazines several times in rescue operations in South America. Under fire, it's the best in my opinion. I'm living proof.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 5:57:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

For ONE lifetime warranty ,that right there is enough. On mine fit and finish is tight,my furniture is tight don't rattle at all,and handguards is not much anyway buy new ones if it's such a hassle ,anything else with them dame armalite's .Oh why did you not answer my question on the 4140 and 4150 if you did not know which grade steel it was,whould you know the difference right, ALL that matters is it's chromelined .It is MY opinion,that ARMALITE is [+]:D],just like everyone has an opinion...Like I seen on someone site (IF I BUY A COLT CAN I ACT LIKE AN A$$HOLE TOO)OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT!!!
View Quote

bushmaster is [+]:D] happy now!!!
GO CHROME OR GO HOME!!! REAL ORIGINAL.
But it's all good ,happy new year man
View Quote

Didn't think you had to SAY anything else!!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:20:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Wasnt anything else too ad, it's all in my initial post. Bushmaster's customer serivce is first rate, so is Armalites. I have never, ever (let me say that again... Never ever (x2) seen Bushmaster tell someone they wouldnt take care of someone because their rifle was over a year old. Never... Ever. In fact, I have seen quite the opposite. Again, all things being equal, why choose the inferior steel? Would i know the difference by looking. Nope. But I do know. So do you.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:27:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have 1 Bushy & 1 Armalite. The Armalite was the first one.They both look & work fine. They were both about the same price. You won't go wrong with either one. But I am a sucker for green furniture.
In my case the Armalite has a better fit & finish. thats a matter of opinion.
Choose the one that you like best. Owning these rifles are like Lay's chips.
"bet you can't have just one"?
Good luck, and be safe!
S.A.J.
View Quote

I agree. Best quality of the major manufacturers but only by a little over Bushmaster and Colt. Only downside to them is the lack of LW barrel alternatives and that noisy brake.  Nice thing about an Armalite as a first AR is seeing how to do it right when you buy or build the next one.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:31:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Again, all things being equal, why choose the inferior steel? Would i know the difference by looking. Nope. But I do know. So do you.
View Quote

Another allegation of "inferior" steel in ArmaLites. Is there any proof to this? Frankly, I've never heard of an ArmaLite blowing up.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:14:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Wasnt anything else too ad, it's all in my initial post. Bushmaster's customer serivce is first rate, so is Armalites. I have never, ever (let me say that again... Never ever (x2) seen Bushmaster tell someone they wouldnt take care of someone because their rifle was over a year old. Never... Ever. In fact, I have seen quite the opposite. Again, all things being equal, why choose the inferior steel? Would i know the difference by looking. Nope. But I do know. So do you.
View Quote

It's chrome ,so who gives a shit!!!
remember "GO CHROME OR GO HOME" you should change it to  "4150 or go home"...[;D]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:37:18 PM EDT
[#39]
I chose Bushmaster Vmatch Carbine. At over 1000 rounds through it now, I have yet to have any kind of failure at all. I am sorry to say I have fed it every kind of cheap ammo (PMC, Winchester USA, Remmington, Federal LC M193, M855, etc.)and it does not seem to care. The 'Maglight' looking foregrip will get hot in rapid fire (my kid has had the barrel finsh smoking several times, but no harm done)so I did a pretty 550 para cord wrap that everyone seems to love. The wrap looks great, feels great, and solved the heat problem, but I also expect to recieve any day now a Pachmayr foregrip cover ($12 from www.Natchezss.com )for a 'store bought'  option.
In March I plan on purchasing another AR, and I will definatly buy another Bushy.
I have a tech support job that allows me to read 6-7 hours a day and I have seen much less problems posted with Bushmaster than any other manufacturer.
2 cents
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Another allegation of "inferior" steel in ArmaLites. Is there any proof to this? Frankly, I've never heard of an ArmaLite blowing up.
View Quote

It isnt an allegation. Colt and Bushmaster are the only manufacturers of commercial ARs to use 4150 steel in their barrels. Everyone else uses 4140. 4140 is good tough steel. 4150 is better. When I say 4140 is inferior steel, that doesnt mean it is crap. The fact that it isnt crap, does not however, make it as good as 4150.

Tooly, chrome lining is great. So is 4150 steel. If you can have both, why not take it?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top