Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/27/2002 6:40:23 PM EDT
I was wondering  about using the postban muzzle breaks on my postban Bushy.Has anyone used the slip on type with setscrews on it.Should I use loctite on the screws to keep them from shooting loose,or take along an allen wrench and tighten after every 10 rounds? Or should I send the upper to BM and have a break permanently installed?All responses are helpful.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one muzzle brake of that type (which I never installed because I traded the barrel for a light one). The barrel needed indentations drilled into it at the setscrew positions to prevent it from shooting loose. I suspect yours will eventually loosen if installed as-is. Loctite softens with heat. I am not sure if it would help. Even if the setscrews are prevented from turning, the brake can become loose. The small indentation created at the tip of the setscrew can enlarge under the recoil forces.
You definately do not want the brake to wander to the end of the muzzle unnoticed and sit there misaligned.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 7:37:13 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the comment,i'll send it to BM and have one permanently installed.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#3]
muzzle brakes are a PITA!! if it's the "look" your after( aren't we all [;)]) I would send your barrel/upper to Mike at [url=www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=25&t=139752]Star Tactical[/url] ( me223 on the EE ) and have him install a fake flash hider. Since you post-ban is full length ( 16" or 20") you could get the FFH "reverse" mounted and not add any length.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:09:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Do yourself a favor,send it to Wilson Combat
and have one their excellent muzzle brakes installed,you'll love it,!(IMHO)!
Favor yourself twice and DON'T get a Bushy
"Y-Comp"!!! Loud and obnoxious especially to
anyone on either side of you! Ask me how I know!
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:20:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Kurt from Kurts Kustom would be an excellant choice for you.He's in the Industry forums.Great work at a very fair price.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:21:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Do yourself a favor and DON'T send it to Wilson Combat...I've had a couple of their brakes and they look cool, but function like crap!!  The WIlson brakes that I've had have all pulled my barrel toward the 11 o'clock position, even the one that was factory installed by Wilson combat...The problem with the Wilson muzzle brakes is that the muzzle brake slots that direct the gases are TOO SMALL...  Just my personal experience...

I would recommend one of the muzzle brakes done by Kurts Kustom, they look and work a lot better than the Wilson muzzle brakes...Kurt will install any of his brakes, he also has fake brakes and flash hiders...They look cool but don't do anything, they are for guys who don't like the look of a bare barrel...

As far as I know Bushmaster will not install a muzzle brake unless it is a Bushmaster Barrel and you are sending it back to have a Bushmaster brake installed....I agree with others that have side STAY AWAY FROM THE BUSHMASTER MINI Y-COMP....The Bushmaster AK brake is the best brake for the price if you want to control muzzle rise and felt recoil...It is a little loud, but not noticible if you have on hearing protection...

If you want something that looks like an original A2 style flash hider go with the Kurts Kustom A2 brake....You can check out Kurts Kustom Firearms (KKF) in the "Industry" section of this website....

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top