Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/26/2002 12:39:26 PM EDT
I have been shopping around for a muzzle brake and I've noticed that some come with a 9/16x28 thread instead of the standard 1/2x28 thread.  On one website (I forget which one) they claim that pinning and welding is not necessary on a post ban barrel if the non-standard threads are utilized.  Does anybody know if there is any truth in this?  If so, are most muzzle brakes available with the nonstandard 9/16x28 thread?
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 4:04:07 PM EDT
[#1]
There is only truth to it if the technical branch of the ATF writes you an opinion letter and says it is so.  That being said, I'm still waiting to hear about a non-FFL holding private citizen not engaging in interstate commerce going to jail for this crap.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Now now boys everyone must play by the rules.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I doubt that it would be legal.

First off, no one could have made a flash hider to fit the thread/pitch, second, the outer diameter of the brake could not allow the mounting of a grenade launcher.

I think the ATF would say "no" to this due to anyone being able to buy a non-machined out flash hider and threading it themselves or buying a regular flash hider and cutting their own threads in it.

The law:

b) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of --
(1) A folding or telescoping stock,
(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon,
(3) A bayonet mount,
(4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor, and
(5) A grenade launcher;
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 8:08:27 PM EDT
[#4]
[url=http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wbardwel/public/nfalist/atf_letter89.txt]BATF letter on non-standard threads[/url]

From the above link...

DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY
            BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO AND FIREARMS
                     WASHINGTON, DC 20226

OCT 19 2000

903050:GKD
                                                      3311/O-697

Dear Mr. Bardwell:

This refers to your letter of June 29, 2000, asking if the
externally threaded front sight base of Romanian manufactured AK-74
rifles would be considered to be a "threaded barrel designed to
accommodate a flash suppressor."  You state in your letter that the
threading on the Romanian front sight base is unlike that of AK-74
rifles manufactured in other countries.  You further state that, to
the best of your knowledge, the Romanian producers did not
manufacture a flash suppressor for their AK-74 rifles.

If there are no flash suppressors manufactured having a threading
compatible with the Romanian AK-74 muzzle threading, then it
follows that the described rifle would not have a "threaded barrel
designed to accommodate a flash suppressor."  However, should a
flash suppressor become available in the future that has a
threading compatible with the Romanian front sight base threading,
then the rifle would be considered to have a threaded barrel
designed to accommodate a flash suppressor.

We trust that the foregoing has been responsive to your inquiry.
If we can be of any further assistance, please contact us.

Sincerely yours,

[signed]
                     Curtis H.A. Bartlett
           Acting Chief, Firearms Technology Branch

View Quote
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 6:06:52 AM EDT
[#5]
TapperMan beat me to it. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 3:17:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I have gotten a similar letter from the BATF Technical Branch confirming this.

I didn't specify a firearm or thread pitch and this is the answer I got:

Dear Mr. XXXXX:
This refers to your letter of October 2000 requesting information regarding threaded barrels and attachments to those barrels when part of a semiautomatic rifle that accepts a detachable magazine.
Title 18 United States code (U.S.C.), Chapter 44, section 921(a) (30) (B) (iv), defines one feature in reference to the definition of semiautomatic assault weapons as follows:  “a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor:”
If a firearm barrel has threads that will not accommodate any flash suppressor, that barrel would not be considered to be “designed to accommodate” a flash suppressor within the meaning of the above definition. A muzzle brake that does not function as a flash suppressor or grenade launcher may be used on such a threaded barrel.
Should a flash suppressor become available with threads compatible with those on the firearm, this interpretation would be subject to change.
We have enclosed a copy of the pamphlet “semiautomatic Assault Weapons and Large Capacity Ammunitions Feeding Devices” as requested in your letter.
We trust that the foregoing has been responsive to your inquiry. If we can be of any further assistance, please contact us.

Sincerely Yours,
Curtis H.A. Bartlett
Chief, Firearms Technology Branch
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 7:23:22 AM EDT
[#7]
[ATF MODE]Just let us know what pitch you use so I can make a flash hider that fits your threaded barrel and I can come arrest you for being in violation of the AW ban[/ATF MODE]

What would be the point if there was nothing to put on your barrel anyway?  Youd just have a threaded barrel exposed?  It makes no sense.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:16:42 AM EDT
[#8]
What would be the point if there was nothing to put on your barrel anyway? Youd just have a threaded barrel exposed? It makes no sense.
View Quote

For my particular application I had a custom AR15 built by JP Enterprises and he attached his Recoil Eliminator brake to my barrel with non standard threads. While the Recoil Eliminator is incredibly effective I have gotten funny looks from others shooting nearby. Its nice to be able to remove the brake and install a thread protector.

I've heard of other gunsmith applications but you're right that no one mass produces a brake with non standard threads. I had sent a copy of my letter to Armalite a while back and assumed they would possibly market one but nothing so far.

As far as the BATF or any other law enforcement agency creating a flash hider with the same threads just to harass gun owners I understand their response to mean either I make one with the same threads or one becomes commercially available.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#9]
My M82A1 has a threaded BBL with the brake not permanently attached, so a least one mfg is doing it...

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top