Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/24/2002 3:34:06 AM EDT
What would happen If I cut a 20" down to a 16" it's a 1 in 9 twist bull. I just wont a shorter barrel and don't have the money to get a new upper. Would it mess it up !
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 3:46:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Not if it was done properly by a competent gunsmith.

Mike

PS- check out Kurt's Kustoms in the Industry forum, he does this type of work all the time.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 5:17:59 AM EDT
[#2]
A simple cut job as you describe can sometimes result in a rifle with functioning problems.  You may come out ahead by selling the used upper/barrel and buying the upper/barrel you want.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 10:04:39 AM EDT
[#3]
[b]Definitely[/b] either buy a new barrel at the minimum or send it off to someone competent to do the project. Just cutting 4" of the barrel off without enlarging the gasport, etc. [i]usually[/i] causes reliability issues.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 10:42:08 AM EDT
[#4]
What would probably happen is you will wish you had someone who knew exactly how to do this (KKF) do it for you. [X]
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 3:23:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Not a good idea unless you already have experience cutting AR15 barrels. You could always post something in the Equipment Exchange such as (WTT 20" upper for 16" upper)...
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 10:28:54 PM EDT
[#6]
 My idiot father put his old (perfectly shooting) Springfield '06 in a bandsaw about 5 years ago. Wacked about 5-6 inches off of the barrel. The old gun still shoots straight, just not as flat. Surprised the hell outta me that he didn't completely ruin it! So, what the hell, go for it!!!
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 10:49:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, go for it. I use a hacksaw :))
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top