Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/23/2002 8:02:50 PM EDT
Anyone out there know if it is illegal to own a short barrel (less than 16 inches) and a preban ar?
The short barrel is not attached to an upper, just a bare barrel.
I know if it were to be put on a rifle would be considered a SBR.
I guess I am asking if just possession of this barrel along with an Ar would be any kind of violation?
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 9:14:14 PM EDT
[#1]
They can charge you with "intent" if they wanted to.  They could also do the same if you had a preban upper and only owned a postban rifle.  What would the point be to own this barrel if you can't use it?  Just to throw a coupke of hundred dollars on something you can't ever use?
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 9:24:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What would the point be to own this barrel if you can't use it?  Just to throw a coupke of hundred dollars on something you can't ever use?
View Quote

Perhaps something simple like a desire to build an M4 clone with the M4 14.5" barrel. Once you permanently attach a flashider that's at least 1.5" long, like the Phantom, you would have a legal length barrel. It's not like he asked about a 7" or 10" barrel

Or maybe he plans on submitting the Form 1 and building a legal SBR.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Nobody purchased the barrel to waste a couple of hundred dollars for something you can't do anything with.
A friend of mine purchased a box load of ar stuff at an auction and this was at the bottom.
My advice to him was to dump it to avoid any problems. He does not see why since he has no plans to build a SBR.
His reason for keeping is if he decides to make an NFA purchase in the future he could use the barrel.
By the way, intent is usually not a specific charge, more likely an element to be proven.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 1:34:12 AM EDT
[#4]
on top of that "intent"  or conspiracy is a very hard thing to prove if you aren't guilty of it.....just owning the 2 without any other "factors" isn't illegal...  its when someone brags about a SHTF kit sitting in a box just waiting for the great uprising (hehehe)so they can convert their AR to FA.   thats what will nail ya.  so make sure you are clear of "factors" and you will be fine.  also hiding parts in your house is also a "Factor" so that is bad : )

LittleJacek
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top