Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2002 3:04:16 PM EDT
thanks to this web site i now know about barrel "break in"(after i bought my gun)
my question is how important is this?
when i bought my ar, i took it to the range an shot it without first cleaning or breaking it in. how much loss in accuracy can really be expected? actually i never broke in any of my guns! i probably will from now on
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#1]
    If you've got a chrome-lined barrel, you'll have to fire about 250 rounds to really 'polish-in' the chrome bore.
    And all the mechanical parts need to start 'wearing-in' together. Your rifle might sputter for the first couple of magazines, but then it'll start purring.
    After you're done with about 250 rounds, give your black beauty a good, thorough cleaning & lube, and you're set.
    I put some TW25B Kleen-bore lube on my bolt carrier, and it's slick as glass now. The TW25B is outrageously expensive, but works well. I use Break-Free for everything else.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 3:42:49 PM EDT
[#2]
What kind of rifle do you have? A chrome lined barrel wont need "breaking in" at all really. And in fact, it is debatable if breaking in any barrel is required.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 3:54:45 PM EDT
[#3]
i dont break my barrels in .. i just shoot em out .. take out of box .. oil and shoot .. all there is too it ..
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#4]
my ar is a armalite m15a4(2years old)
im 99% sure by looking thats its chrome lined.
but i also didnt clean or break in my ruger 10/22 target rifle from the start.
it's the idea of paying $900 for a rifle and not knowing about break in.
i thought if its that important would'nt every gun dealer say to someone purchasing a new rifle "it's a good idea to clean and properly break your barrel in"
im sure every gun dealer knows more about guns than most people who walk off the street to purchase one of their products!
but i never heard one dealer mention cleaning and breakin. i'll shut up now
thanks
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 4:05:22 PM EDT
[#5]
You Armalite is chrome lined and everyone agrees that it wont need any breaking in aside from shooting it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 4:20:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Just shoot and, keep clean.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 4:32:48 PM EDT
[#7]
[url]http://snipercountry.com/Articles/Barrel_BreakIn.htm[/url]

Bradd
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 5:43:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Just follow the manufactures recommendations (or not) If you have a premium barrel, it should not need a break-in.

do what the mojo bag tells you
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 6:12:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I think of the barrel break-in question as one of those "less filling... tastes great" type of debates. I suppose you could throw in moly coated bullets and barrel fluting in the same category. There's no conclusive evidence supporting one or the other, rather it's one of opinion. Just the same, I did go through a break-in procedure on my RRA NM A-2. Figured it was better to do it than not do it. Overall, it's the kind of thing I would do on a rifle that I wanted to (and paid for) be a tack driver. If it could shave .01" off a benchrest or target rifles MOA, why not? Anything else, like an M4orgery, why bother?... Unless you want to throw a monkey wrench into any "ballistic fingerprinting database". [:D]

Link Posted: 12/24/2002 5:42:16 AM EDT
[#10]
That's what I meant about breaking in your barrel, just shoot it 250 rounds or so, to polish-out the chrome. According to BUSHMASTER, it greatly reduces fouling.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 11:15:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't know about the barrel break-in for my gun, but I can tell you that my rifle definitly needed a few hundred rounds fired through it to wear down all the little kinks and such. It worked so much better after I fired and cleaned it a few times.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top