Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/22/2002 6:02:45 PM EDT
I have inherited a Colt AR-15 R6520 Govt. carbine, with original box with green label, serial GC034____  / notes with gun indicate that it is a blue label gun in a green labeled box, numbers match, has small front push-pin, raised mag fence, 2-position collapsible stock, bayo lug 1/7 twist.

Question: I am brand new at this and would like to clarify green label vs blue features. It appears to have an A-2 receiver though the AR-15 complete Owners Guide indicates that this model has A-1 receivers.

Any help setting me straight on this gun would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Gerard in Maine
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 8:13:44 PM EDT
[#1]
post a pic .. best way to get right answer .. ALSO .. FYI .. big money .. at meast $2,500 for that gun .. dont ever sell it for less .. later
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 11:04:01 PM EDT
[#2]
He's lying, that gun isn't worth more than, say $200. Tell you what, since I like you I'll give you $250 for it? Deal?
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 3:22:29 AM EDT
[#3]
blue/green? and other good info can be found at:

[url]www.biggerhammer.net[/url]

it's a good site taht you might want to put in your "favorites"
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 4:36:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like you have a green label instead of a blue label. I also thought the blue label rifles came without the bayonet lug. The only difference I can think of between your model 6520 and the AR15A2 Model #6520 is the original version usually has a 4 position stock instead of 2. Check the Bighammer website, it's a good source.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 12:29:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I also thought the blue label rifles came without the bayonet lug.
View Quote

I believe some blue labels came with the bayonet lug.  (But what would I know as I thought all the 6520's were green label !)
---------------------------------------------
The AR-15A2 Government Model Carbine (Model #6520) was introduced in 1988, first appearance of a spent casing deflector and had the improved A2 rear sight.  Fitted with a 4-position telescoping buttstock.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 4:53:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got one, but had to pay a substantial sum for it. You're a one lucky dog to have inherited yours. [b]Don't [i]ever[/i] let go of it[/b].

I actually prefer the "Gov't Carbine" over the "Tactical Carbine" because the former has the dual push pins, while the latter has the forward screw/pin, though it's also a rare (& expensive) collectable. Colt definitely went bassackwards w/ its alterations from the mil-spec.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 6:00:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Guys,

I am surprised to hear that the AR15A2 Government Carbine (6520) has/had a 4 position stock.  Mine has a 2 position stock.  Didn't the 4 position really come about with the advent of the M4 circa 1994?

Does anyone actually have a non-LEO/pre-ban 6520 with a factory 4 position stock?

Thanks,

JAW
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I want to thank the members of this board for assisting to try and ID my R6520 .  I have learned a great deal. I also would be interested to know if the 2 position stock is correct for my AR. It has the small front push-pin, bayo lug and sear block.

Is it true that those with a sear block have the small front pin vs without a sear block the slothead screw-pin? I believe this was shipped in 1989-1990.

I am still a bit confused on the green vs blue labels.  What green label features are missing on a blue label AR or vice-versa?  This I have been told is a blue label AR in a green label box. Possibly a transition in switching to the blue labels.

Again, a great group of patriots helping out a newbie in Maine who wishes you all a happy,safe and free Holiday season and New Year.

Gerard in Maine
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 12:47:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Check out this [url=http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/coltcolors.html]Colt label schematic[/url].

I actually bought mine w/o the stock, since I wanted to add on the MSS stock, when it becomes available. The total package authenticity wasn't a big deal to me; the lower was really what I was really after. Blasphemy to some, but hey - it's my $$$ (& yours too, for that matter).

Like I said, Colt's ill-advised decision to go w/ non-milspec parts was ba$$ ackwards. I am pretty much a diehard Colt fan when it comes to prebans, but if I was in the market for a "posty", I'd probably go w/ BM. I've heard that Colt's new CEO has tried to [i]correct[/i] some of the company's [i]problems[/i], but their AR's still appear to have non-milspec parts.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 6:42:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I have 2 Colt 6520's, both blue label, both with sear blocks, bayo lugs and 2 position stocks. I have a M4 upper on one of them and both are sweet shooting weapons. They are particularly good for my daughters who find the my 20" HBAR too heavy. The one low in the serial range is drilled for a push pin and the one at the top of the serial range has the push pin installed from the factory.
The green label's are the more desirable since they don't have the sear block but I find the blue label's a better deal. They definitely hold their value as I can't buy them now at the price I got them for a year ago.

My .02 worth

Dirk
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 6:48:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Guys,

I am surprised to hear that the AR15A2 Government Carbine (6520) has/had a 4 position stock.  Mine has a 2 position stock.  Didn't the 4 position really come about with the advent of the M4 circa 1994?

Does anyone actually have a non-LEO/pre-ban 6520 with a factory 4 position stock?

Thanks,

JAW
View Quote

JAW,
our member "Stokes" is very knowledgable re these guns and would be a good go-to-guy. Also there was a member "Cactus Jack" that I'm almost certain had a green label.  Haven't seen Cactus around lately.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 9:59:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Also there was a member "Cactus Jack" that I'm almost certain had a green label.  Haven't seen Cactus around lately.
View Quote

According to his user info, he hasn't logged in since November 30. [:(]
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 11:25:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also there was a member "Cactus Jack" that I'm almost certain had a green label.  Haven't seen Cactus around lately.
View Quote

According to his user info, he hasn't logged in since November 30. [:(]
View Quote

Send Cactus a direct email and ask - tell him 5sub says Merry Christmas !!
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Guys,

Thanks,

JAW
View Quote

You are correct, Mine has 2 pos.
GG
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 1:55:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Something else you might want to check about 2 or 4 position stocks and the theory of "original", is........

Have you checked if the factory "STEAK" is still there?

Some COLT Pureist, don't want improvements to their ORIGINAL rifles. Be it 2 or 4 position or whatever.

Beyond that there is the question that: there is a "transition" between models so some features are always getting onto different rifles and the box colors aren't always the gosple.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top