Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/22/2002 4:59:49 PM EDT
I was just curious about how many mags you guys keep loaded at home in case the SHTF unexpectedly.  I gotta AK mag pouch with 3-30's, and I keep them rotated every couple of months.  Ya just never know who will come a-callin'.  In addition I always keep my Glock, .45,  or SIG ready with a mag handy.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 5:13:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I keep 3 30's and the 10 that came with the rifle for an even 100.

I dont rotate the mags. My understanding was that cycling the rounds through the mags was what wears mags out, NOT keeping constant pressure on the springs.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 5:16:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Lets just say more than 3. And you dont need to rotate the hi-cap rifle mags. Rotate your pistol mags, they need it. Leave the hicap rifle mags be.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 5:19:13 PM EDT
[#3]
30 rd of green tip for the 11.5",, 2 or 3- 25 round 9mm for Uzi, 1 is Win. Ranger, 10 round of Gold Saber 9mm in Glock, and a 20 round of 3131A.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 5:26:38 PM EDT
[#4]
........The .45 on my nightstand.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 5:53:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Ummm... at least ten 30 rounders loaded with M855 for two AR's, four 20 rounders for the FAL and I usually have some stens loaded up for the 9mm Oly conversion I have, though I wouldn't grab that for SHTF unless there was an extra man that needed to be armed.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 6:48:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I keep 12 30's loaded with Green Tips stored and ready-to-rock in a Blackhawk Delta Operator Assault Vest.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 7:33:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't you worry about it there big guy...

Link Posted: 12/22/2002 8:15:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Would all be a bad answer? [:D]

I like to be prepared for when the evil army of gophers attacks...

Link Posted: 12/22/2002 8:37:05 PM EDT
[#9]
ALL of them...unless I don't have enough ammo to top off every magazine.   That's twenty 30 round USGI mags, three 20's,  five mags for the M1911, two for the Glock,  etc...

I need more mags!

A mag without ammo in it is USELESS.  If I were to suddenly have an overwhelming need for a fresh mag, I don't want to have to rummage through a bunch of empty ones to find a full one.  So they're ALL full!

CJ
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 9:10:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Four 30's for my AR.  Three Wilson 8 rounders for my 1911.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Please don't take this as sarcasm, but what kind of "shift" are you all getting ready for? I'm not looking for a flame session I'm truly serious. I do understand the need for home protection.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 10:04:36 PM EDT
[#12]
All of them.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 10:05:06 PM EDT
[#13]
For all of my guns?ALL OF THEM.

Since I assume we're talking ARs I have 22
30rd USGI mags. 20 are loaded with either M855 or M193. The other 2 are reserved for range use.

If I happen to run into attacking hoardes I will use up the 20 and make use of the SHTF 4 pocket bandoliers I have stored in ammo cans at 10 rd. s.clips to 360 rds each bandolier of M193.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 10:10:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Please don't take this as sarcasm, but what kind of "shift" are you all getting ready for? I'm not looking for a flame session I'm truly serious. I do understand the need for home protection.
View Quote

A wise member of this board had a wise signature
line that i believe applies to this:

"Better to have it and not needit, than to needit
and not have it."

-oh, no pun intended.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 4:08:33 AM EDT
[#15]
2 AR mags
2 1911 mags
1 shotgun with 5 round tube loaded
2 grease gun mags for my NFA mac

Link Posted: 12/23/2002 4:29:24 AM EDT
[#16]
My rifles were locked up & empty until I started reading this post frequently, Now they're just locked up (one mag full of some evil expensive stuff). Since the consensus is that static tension won't hurt quality AR mags there shouldn't be any harm in loading everything, besides it's convenient for the range. If you are loading 10-20 mags with the EXPECTATION of needing them in a pinch however, I would say you either have some bad paranoia issues or have way too many enemies. [:D]

I consider my 1st line of defense a Para Ordnance .45 LDA. I have three 15 rd. mags loaded at all times: (one in the weapon {chambered}, & a spare in the car and the night stand. If 31 rounds can't get me to the gun locker in the next room then it wasn't meant to be.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 6:39:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Even the pistol magazines don't need rotation (they have the same issues as the rifle mags).  Keep them loaded.  Of course this only applies to decent quality handguns (i.e. 1911s, Glocks, Sigs..)

Send Chuck and IM as he has some long term experience with this (IIRC pistol mags kept loaded since WW2).
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 7:19:59 AM EDT
[#18]
I personally have been in a violent confrontation in the U.S. hundreds of times, the last being when I went with my kids on a school outing to Chicago. (Yes, really).  When I was overseas I got shot at plenty.  I have been assaulted here (U.S.) with a broken bottle, knife, motorcycle chain, and gun.  Those things are hard to forget...particularly if you were not expectng most of them.  I have many friends and relatives that have had problems because they have to travel for business in areas where others would rather not.  It is not paranoia my friend, just common sense and good judgement.  

I will not take this as a flame, because some of use live different lives, and yours may be more sedate than my.  But next time you go out to dinner, and have to park in a dark lot, or have business in a bad part of town...think of me.  Also, if you're sleeping late at night, or on vacation sleeping, and someone is pounding the hell out of your door, you will wish you had 50 mags loaded.  

I'd just rather stack the odds in my favor...  
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 7:36:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Well, this thread made me go look at what I had loaded up. First off, it's nowhere near ALL; for example I have three 10-packs of sealed, NIW Belgian FAL magazines that haven't been opened, as well as lots of mags for guns that have what I consider sufficient loaded mags at the moment.

It should be noted that nothing stays loaded for too long; I take loaded mags to the range, and cycle through them, probably monthly. So what's loaded now is probably just an average.

35 thirty-round AR mags
6 twenty-round AR mags
20 thirty-round 7.62x39 AK mags
10 thirty-round 5.45x39 AK mags
25 twenty-round FAL mags
10 twenty-round HK91 mags
10 twenty-five round Uzi mags
10 thirty-two round Sten mags
5 twenty-five round 10/22 mags
10 eight-round 1911 45 mags

They are all stored separately from the unloaded mags.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#20]
i only keep my 870 loaded with 10 aguila 7 1/2 shot with 3 rounds of fletchlets 1 loaded in the chamber and the first 2 in the tube. if i need more then 13 rounds of 12g then there a major problem.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#21]
USSR rises up...not likely.  China invades...I doubt it.... Gov't collapse..not at the moment...Canada rises up..naw..they got no guns anyway......oil runs out..nope, I'll just walk thank you..

Some dopers going to wrong house by mistake...never know. it's happened...some crack head looking for stuff to steal comes in thinking there's no one home ...mmmmm...some wackos decide to have some fun by picking a house to crash just for fun....it happens all the time...somebody who doesn't like me for a real or imagined transgression decides to come visit me, or hires someone to do it...happened to me once, and my cousin...

I may be a bit on the paranoid side, but this stuff happens every day.  To not be on your guard at all times is sheer craziness.   Why do people get CCW's...not for paranoia, but for the possibility of SHTF.

Should I change my logon from greco to paranoid1...??..I don't think it's necessary.

Jeff Cooper has his 4 levels of readiness, and other modern instructors of self defense have their version of it.  If I really need a loaded mag and gun some time...it will be a poor time to start opening ammo boxes and filling magazines.   Just a personal quirk of mine I guess...I hope you will tolerate my eccetricities.  

I see a lot of our brothers on this site keep loaded mags for one reason or another...more power to them.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 10:48:47 AM EDT
[#22]
I agree with greco.  What's the point of having a tool for protection if you don't feel you need it.  What's the point of having this tool if you can't use it at a moment's notice.  Strange things might never happen to the bulk of us, but if it ever does, that would not be the best time to regret not having enough ammo where it needs to be.

It's not being paranoid.  It's being prepared.  So you kep a bunch of mags at the ready.  If you nnever have to use them, and I hope you never do, then great.  If by some off chance you do, then you have them.  

Ad an example of sorts:  Preparing for combat is no about wanting to go to war, it is about being able to go to war if necessary.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 10:59:49 AM EDT
[#23]
I keep 2 30 rd mags loaded at all times, my 22 is the primary weapon for home deffense (bullets wont go through walls hitting kids)and the M4 is for if they make it out of the house... I mean if there trying to escape through a window.
         FREE
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 11:07:23 AM EDT
[#24]
"It is not paranoia my friend, just common sense and good judgement" -Greco

No, you are absolutely right in taking it the way you did-- No flame intended to any that desire to load every magazine in their house for the purposes of convenience and preparedness.

I only take exception to those who have the EXPECTATION of such a ridiculous situation to occur where they would have likely survived in their house if they had loaded 10 AR mags vs 5.
Could it happen? Sure. Is there any harm in loading the ten? not at all. Is it reasonable to EXPECT an uninterrupted 300+ round firefight to erupt in one's home at this time? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

And in response to the one who asked "If you don't feel you need it, then what's the point of having it?": WATCH YOUR STEP!!! I am no fortune teller but I would submit with full confidence that at least 90% of us civilian gun owners will not NEED an assault rifle to defend our lives. SO WHAT? Should that prevent us from buying, using, and enjoying the firearm(s)? The Antis have the same view: "If you don't need it why have it?"  If I am ever in a life-threatening situation I hope I have superior firepower that is far beyond what I need. It's one of the reasons that I own what I do. My point is that it is NOT silly to be prepared for the worst, but it is very unrealistic to count on it happening to you.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 12:02:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
"It is not paranoia my friend, just common sense and good judgement" -Greco

No, you are absolutely right in taking it the way you did-- No flame intended to any that desire to load every magazine in their house for the purposes of convenience and preparedness.

I only take exception to those who have the EXPECTATION of such a ridiculous situation to occur where they would have likely survived in their house if they had loaded 10 AR mags vs 5.
Could it happen? Sure. Is there any harm in loading the ten? not at all. Is it reasonable to EXPECT an uninterrupted 300+ round firefight to erupt in one's home at this time? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

And in response to the one who asked "If you don't feel you need it, then what's the point of having it?": WATCH YOUR STEP!!! I am no fortune teller but I would submit with full confidence that at least 90% of us civilian gun owners will not NEED an assault rifle to defend our lives. SO WHAT? Should that prevent us from buying, using, and enjoying the firearm(s)? The Antis have the same view: "If you don't need it why have it?"  If I am ever in a life-threatening situation I hope I have superior firepower that is far beyond what I need. It's one of the reasons that I own what I do. My point is that it is NOT silly to be prepared for the worst, but it is very unrealistic to count on it happening to you.
View Quote

I'm not sure if you were referring to me when you quoted about not feeling you need it.  I think you misunderstood me.  I too made the statement that most of us, probably higher than 90%, won't need our weapons for defense.  I agree with you on that.  I merely meant most of us are armed not because we expect to be attacked, but because we wish to be prepared.  We need it because of the off chance that something might just happen.  Bad situations happen everyfday here and around the world.  It can happen and is likely to happen to someone.  We are armed in case it happens to us.  I 2was referring to the need to be prepared and the right to be prepared.  The need to actually use it might never come.  However the need to be prepared must never be infringed.

I merely asked why have all those mags and not keep a bunch loaded.  what could it hurt?  If you are responsible with them and keep them where you can get to them and not where they can present a danger to others, why not?  Is he afraid of being labeled a gun nut or paranoid like he is labelling others on this thread?  Who cares about labels?  I keep a bunch of mags ready, not a lot, just a handful (four 30 round AR's and three 8 eround 1911's) just in case.  If you want to load more or less, feel free.  

Link Posted: 12/23/2002 12:50:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree partly with i_needit.  Dont get me wrong I have my fair share of guns, and keep some of them loaded but I dont see the need to express publically and on a record how many mags I keep loaded.  Let face it, if something is coming into my home without notice and it needs more rounds than a bedside gun and maybe a shotgun, then having 35 loaded AR mags isn't going to help me much.  I am not sure if you all realize but publically announcing the excessive amounts of military caliber ammo you keep loaded in your house is EXACTLY the kind of info the anti-constitution liberals use to slowly ban our freedoms to own such firearms.  Keep loaded what you want, but lets not give the communists in Washington another reason to take away our freedoms.

Link Posted: 12/23/2002 1:02:10 PM EDT
[#27]
"I keep 12 30's loaded with Green Tips stored and ready-to-rock in a Blackhawk Delta Operator Assault Vest."

Damn - some of you guys must live in some awfully bad neighborhoods!  Hope I don't live next door when those 360 rounds come flyin' through the neighborhood!

INCOMING!!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 2:13:43 PM EDT
[#28]
You never know, somone might come try to steal your jetski in the middle of the night and you might have to fire 31 warning shots at them!

[:d]

Link Posted: 12/23/2002 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Haha, if thats about the post I think it is about... I remember that. I think that guy was from FL too!
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Yeah, I remember that thread too! For the new guys.....The way I remember it was a couple guys were trying to steal his jet skis/boat and he goes out there with the Bushy and they take off in a truck and he dumps the clip...but just fires them over the field next to his place. Of course the thieves don't know that they weren't aimed at them!

Long story short, the cops roll up and ask some questions saying some neighbors reported hearing a bunch of noise (I think they claimed it was MG fire), they were cool (not fresh out of training or liberals)and understood it was someone defending their property. I remember though that he said he just popped a few off with his 22 rimfire......[:D]

And for some reason, I don't remember who it was but either his name on the boards has something to do with "naked" or he was naked when he did this. Who knows....?!
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 3:22:33 PM EDT
[#31]
7 30 rnd AR mags in a tac vest, another 30 in my M4gery. Usually also have at least 4 AK mags, 3 M1A mags, a 13 round mag in my Browning HiPower, and a 10 rnd mag close by my 1911.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 3:52:07 PM EDT
[#32]
no rifle mags .. 2 walther p99 10 rders in .40 s&w ... i dont need a rifle in the suburbs ..
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 3:57:34 PM EDT
[#33]
All of my mags are loaded.

I keep the batteries in my flashlights, don't you?

I I keep film in my camera, don't you?

Be prepared...
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 7:03:19 PM EDT
[#34]
I keep my mags loaded primarily for the convenience of it.  When I want to go to the range, I drop a dozen 30's into my mag case (a surplus Army binoculars case, it fits like it was made for the job), grab my ear plugs, rifle, a few targets, and go.   No fiddling with reloading magazines instead of shooting.  

And, as I only handle the ammo ONCE as it goes into the mag, it stays clean which contributes to reliability.    

It's not that I expect to need six hundred rounds while I'm at home (I don't), it's that it makes range trips a little easier and cuts down on unnecessary ammo handling.

CJ
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 11:20:03 PM EDT
[#35]
I keep 3, 30rd orlites filled to 28rds, that I know are reliable. And I have all my ammo, loose, in heavy plastic bags ready to load my other 35 mags.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 12:51:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I keep 2 30 rd mags loaded at all times, my 22 is the primary weapon for home deffense (bullets wont go through walls hitting kids)and the M4 is for if they make it out of the house... I mean if there trying to escape through a window.
         FREE
View Quote

Uhh.....Just out of curiosity, have you tested for yourself that the .22 rounds you're using won't penetrate walls?  I took some scraps from when they were doing some construction around here and built a small piece of wall (standard 16 inch spacing on the studs, and two pieces of sheet-rock wall-board) out at the range (thing ended up being about 4 ft wide by about 4 ft tall) to see what goes through....the .22 went through the sheetrock without any problems, and occasionally went through the 2x4s in the middle as well.

FOTBR
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 12:57:30 AM EDT
[#37]
I also remember reading an article about an elderly gunshop owner who had to defend himself and his store from several (four or five) would-be thieves.  Several hundred rounds fired before they were either all leaving (one died later in his shot up getaway car), or gave themselves up.  I believe it was in Florida, but I could be wrong there.  Anyone have a link to that article?

FOTBR
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 5:29:14 AM EDT
[#38]
To me, the magazines are part of the weapons system.  I keep my AR in my truck (it does you no good if you cannot get to it) all the time in a Codura case with internal mag pockets.  I never put an empty mag in those pockets.  The mags must be loaded to do me any good.

I doubt that I will need the rifle to defend myself, I quit going to places where I may be attacked when I hung up my badge.  However, I do use the rifle frequently on varmints and stray dogs on the ranch.  I figure that the only reason to have this thing is to use it and if I don't use it regularly, I will not be prepared if I need it.

Sorry this is so long, the bottom line is this: Every mag that is stowed with my rifle is loaded with 28 rounds of South African Ball.  

I don't have all the mags in my gun room loaded, but it would not be a bad way to store ammo.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 5:39:13 AM EDT
[#39]
All of them of course, what good is a empty mag?
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 6:46:40 AM EDT
[#40]
I keep a loaded 20's in my chamber-empty AR in the safe upstairs, with a few extra 20's or 30's next to the gun. I unlock the safe upon returning home at night.

Also have a few loaded 20's piled next to the FAL, and a Glock 21 with three loaded mags close at hand on the ground floor.

My most likely SHTF scenerio is a hot break-in. Mistaken address, a gang thing, a doper needing stuff to sell whatever...

My neighborhood is working class 50/50 white/black and pretty decent, but we're getting LOTS of welfare types migrating out here to the 'burbs as Chicago continues to demolish Public Housing highrises, replacing them with nebulous promises of future "scattered site developments"

The lawns around here are sprouting ADT and Brinks alarm signs like weeds.

Better prepared than not.

CKMorley
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 7:07:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If you are loading 10-20 mags with the EXPECTATION of needing them in a pinch however, I would say you either have some bad paranoia issues or have way too many enemies. [:D]
View Quote

Or you could just be someone that finds Mr. Murphy to be a pretty serious guy, and follow his laws to a T. I EXPECT a ladder to fall every time I climb up it, and am prepared for it to do so. I might climb it a thousand times and it maight never fall, but when it does, I will be expecting it and run a much lower risk of being hurt. I cant eat all the food in the pantry, but it stays stocked, etc. [:)]

Fact - Riots can happen with little or no warning.
Fact - Every once in a while, nut case BGs do something crazy and start shooting up the place in a firefight.
Fact - I know how adept (or not) most of our local LEO's are with their weapon skills.
Fact - Things can go bad in an instant. Like our massive power outage earlier this year.
Fact - Etc.............
Is most of the above [i]likely[/i] to happen today? No. Is it [i]possible[/i] Yes. If I prepare for it and it never happens, I am no worse off. If I dont and it does, then I am in serious trouble.
A well armed man doesnt have a lot to be paranoid about does he? [;)]

All of my mags arent loaded, but all of my guns are. They are supposed to be.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top