Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/20/2002 10:51:15 PM EDT
ok ok ok, ive got my RRA lower all ready for an upper, had it for about a month, this is going to be my FIRST ar15. Now im dead set on the m4 upper from RRA, so changing that is outta the question. so my question is, a place has the m4 upper in with chrome moly in and i will get it by xmas, or order one with chrome lining and wait an ungodly and still unknown time for it. What would you do? Moly now for your first AR or wait for Lined???
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 2:06:16 AM EDT
[#1]
MY OPINION:

Frankly I have never understood the need for chrome for the type of shooting most of us do.  Are you planning on regularly cleaning the gun after firing? If not, go with chrome.  Do you plan on heavy use of the gun in a jungle or humid environment without the opportunity to clean it regularly?  If so, go with chrome.

While its probably true that chrome is easier to maintain, it is also probably true that non-chrome is more accurate and if properly broken in is likewise easy to clean and maintain.  Why don't you see many people with chrome bolts?

Again, my opinion and like rear ends everybodys going to have one on this topic.

Link Posted: 12/21/2002 2:08:04 AM EDT
[#2]
what would be the proper way to break in? couple hundred rounds before cleaning?
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 2:12:28 AM EDT
[#3]
NO!!  The recommend way is to clean after every shot for the first 20 rounds.  Then after every 2-3 for the next 20.  You will find many variations on this method.  I usually clean after every round for the first 10.  Then begin sighting in the gun with 3 rd groups and clean after each 3 round group for the next 20 rounds or so.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 2:15:42 AM EDT
[#4]
uh ok, explain clean then. do you mean patches, brush, and hoppes till its totally clean after every shot???
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 2:30:02 AM EDT
[#5]
For the purposes of break in I use mostly just patches and an ammonia based solvent.  I will use a brush about every 10th round or so.  I use wet patches, usually 3-4 until they come out relatively clean then a dry patch.  Then shoot, then reclean etc.  Sounds like it's a pain, but really does not take that long.

OH, BTW after breakin or the 20th round or so, I netralize the ammonia based solvent by running some regular Hoppes through the bore.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 2:37:10 AM EDT
[#6]
If you do a search in Cleaning-Maintaining Forum you should come up with lots and lots of threads on this.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Wait for lined... most durable, longest life, very acceptable accuracy. Good Shooting!
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 3:01:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Have you seen Troy's sig line?  [:D]

Check with SableCo on chrome upper availability.

[url]http://www.sableco.net/id21.htm[/url]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top