Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2002 6:10:51 PM EDT
does any one know a reliable dealer that I can order a used AR-15 for less than $1400 from? I want to get allot of practice with an AR-15 before I go into USMC boot camp
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 6:24:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 5:50:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Look in the [url=www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=7&f=21]Equipment Exchange[/url].
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 7:34:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
does any one know a reliable dealer that I can order a used AR-15 for less than $1400 from? I want to get allot of practice with an AR-15 before I go into USMC boot camp
View Quote

Why not use a $800 post ban? It'll do the same thing, with $600 left over to buy ammo with, thats a lot of ammo too shoot, and Gunnery Sgt Hartman will be surprised that you can hit something reliably on your first trip to the range, he may even let you be in his Corp,  you may even get a badge.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 7:37:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I sent my own son off to the Army with good rifle skills.  Did that get him any brownie points?  No, they made him help all the other guys.  And they could not believe he could actually clean the rifle in under 15 minutes, and do it well.  Did that get him any brownie points?  No, he had to help all the others clean theirs.  Hah!
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 8:08:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I like that, now thats funny, we need to here more stuff like that here.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 9:23:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Why not use a $800 post ban? It'll do the same thing, with $600 left over to buy ammo with, thats a lot of ammo too shoot, and Gunnery Sgt Hartman will be surprised that you can hit something reliably on your first trip to the range, he may even let you be in his Corp,  you may even get a badge.
View Quote

I agree.  If you want practice for boot, then go with a post ban.  You don't need a collapsible stock because the A2 you'll be issued won't have one.  The flashhider won't make that much of a difference just to learn the rifle.  As for bayonets, save that for boot.  You won't use it after training.  Save some money and buy a brand new postban.  You'll have a good rifle.  

If you want a flash suppressor look, Kurt's Kustom Firearms has both an A2 look muzzle brake and a fake A2 flashhider that can be installed on the rifle later.  If the ban is allowed to expire in two years, convert the rifle to preban configiguaration then.  You'll save money and get in your practice.  Save some of that money for your first liberty.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 11:11:55 AM EDT
[#7]
ok, whats a good, relable AR-15 or clone, and where can i get one?
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 3:53:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Most folks consider Bushmaster the cheapest / most reliable / milspec AR you can buy.  I just picked up one shot less than 100 times for $600.  Check out the equipment exchange forum here or try www.gunbroker.com or www.gunsamerica.com.

Thanks for your decision to defend America.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 9:38:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Most folks consider Bushmaster the cheapest / most reliable / milspec AR you can buy.  I just picked up one shot less than 100 times for $600.  Check out the equipment exchange forum here or try www.gunbroker.com or www.gunsamerica.com.

Thanks for your decision to defend America.  Good luck.
View Quote

I agree.  Bushmaster is the only one that come close to being the same as an issued M16.  They are the only ones that have chrome lining standard.  They are the only ones who use 4150 barrel steel as standard.  They have the best combination of fit and finish plus ultra reliability on the market.  I wouldn't call them cheap, but they are cheap for the product you get.

Colt and Armalite are great, but a bit hefty in the price tag for what you get.  

Rock River is awesome and slightly cheaper than Bushmaster.  They only offer chrome lining in M4 barrels though.  They also only use 4140 steel in the barrel.  They are, however, a great company who makes a great product.

DPMS is also a great company and will run you the same price as a Rock River or a Bushmaster.  They do not offer chrome lining at the present time and they too use the 4140 steel in the barrels just like Rock River.

With Bushmaster, Rock River, or DPMS you will find something that closely approximates a standard issue M16A2.  You can't go wrong with any of them really.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 7:55:31 AM EDT
[#10]
is Arms Corps USA. any good? a guy on ebay is selling kits that are just missing the lowers for 500$ each
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 8:14:24 AM EDT
[#11]
It's just a kit, so you might do better price wise at J&T or even Model 1 Sales.  They are both listed in the industry section on this site.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 9:36:16 AM EDT
[#12]
By the time you buy the kit, get a lower and calculate your hours, you would be ahead buying an already assembled rifle. You'd be spending time building it when you could be shooting it instead.
Only problem with DPMS is no ejection cover. Your M16 will have one. Go RRA, Oly, or Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 11:10:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
By the time you buy the kit, get a lower and calculate your hours, you would be ahead buying an already assembled rifle. You'd be spending time building it when you could be shooting it instead.
Only problem with DPMS is no ejection cover. Your M16 will have one. Go RRA, Oly, or Bushmaster.
View Quote

The only DPMS rec's that don't have ejection covers are the Lo-Pro and Hi-Rider. They offer standard A2 and A3 rec's also.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 9:47:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is true, but if you are good at putting things together and working with tools, building a kit helps you learn about the intricacies and workings of the rifle.  If you don't care about learning the internals to that degree, then go with a fully built rifle.  Either way is good.  They'll be impressed that you can just shoot the thing well.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top