Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2002 3:22:00 AM EDT
Has anyone used that hydraulic(I think it's hydraulic, anyway)buffer assembly that Olympic Arms has? It's supposed to replace the sring/buffer assembly and end the "sproinnnng" sound when you shoot.

Any input would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 6:42:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's my input...

I *LIKE* the sproiinnng sound.  It lets me know all is well with my AR.  [:)]
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 6:57:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I haven't seen Oly's unit, but I've seen and used Colt's hydraulic buffer used in the open bolt LMG.  They are great if you are shooting in full auto - they're designed to slow the cyclic rate and prevent bolt bounce, but in semi, there's no real reason to use one.

And even with the hydro buffer, you still use the spring, so you'll still have that "sproinnng" sound.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 7:05:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok, [b]I love AR's(!)[/b] but that "Sproinnggg" sound doesn't do much for me...[b]gives you the 'feeling' of a toy gone bad[/b]. This is supposed to be a serious weapon, in use, feel, looks, and SOUND.

So, yeh, I'm curious about the pneumatic buffers, but I hate the prices I've seen (Oly wants $129!). I'd also be curious to see if the buffer has any affect on the action vs. the regular spring.

Short of paying big buck there has to be an effective way of reducing that irritating noise.

-SteelHunter Out!
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 7:09:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quick Follow-up:

Shaggy,
According the Oly site, the pneumatic buffer replaces everything including the spring.

-SteelHunter Out
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 7:59:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Lightly grease the spring with lithium grease and the sprong sound will go away.

T
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't think the pnuematic buffers should be trusted for self defense either.There's alot of things that could go wrong with it vs. the GI spring/buffer combo.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 11:58:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't necessarily dislike the "sproinnng" when I shoot, but the Oly buffer does intigue me. As stated, I believe the Olympic unit completely replaces the spring/buffer, otherwise, why have it?

Anyway, I was just wondering if it was a new improved mouse trap or just another gadget.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I coat my spring with Tetra gun grease and never have noise or malfunctions.  Hydrolic buffers will leak.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 3:48:56 AM EDT
[#9]
yep...just another gadget.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 7:34:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ok, [b]I love AR's(!)[/b] but that "Sproinnggg" sound doesn't do much for me...[b]gives you the 'feeling' of a toy gone bad[/b]. This is supposed to be a serious weapon, in use, feel, looks, and SOUND.
View Quote

Heh...the oddest sound I've heard that sounded...unnatural, I guess...was from my AUG. It just sounds weird, having all that mass move just under your cheek and all that.

Link Posted: 12/8/2002 8:07:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Hydro buffers when first made, did sometimes leak. The newest versions of the AAC and Oly units don't. That's like saying all Glocks will KB. Its rare, but prob occurs. The hydro buffers work well with full-auto guns. It slows down the bolt, and will prob not make that much diff on a semi. It will not recoil as hard though. More of a smooth recoil, rather than a jolt.
And as far as it being a gadget, well, it all comes down to personal choice.  
PS- With the Oly unit, you loose the spring.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 6:36:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I have an Oly unit. Very well made, guaranteed for life. And it does do more than just get rid of the spring sound! It softens, or rather smooths out, the felt recoil; it also reduces the violent impacting action in the bolt group, more than likely extending the life of these parts. It is also adjustable via a set screw made into the front of it, to adjust the "feel" of its operation for each individual shooter. It is pneumatic - not hydraulic. It is very similar to a gas-charged shock used on a car. From what I have heard, Oly tested these VERY rigorously, and made sure they don't fail, before releasing them; however, do like I did - save the old buffer & spring, just in case....that way, you can use them if you ever have to send your pneumatic unit back in for FREE replacement! It just slips right in and out, just like the stock spring and buffer.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 6:53:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Not sure how common it is - I never personally saw it - but M249's have had problems before with the buffer assembly leaking hydraulic fluid - I'd stick with what already works when it comes to AR's.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 7:10:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Why do people post before they read the thread?
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 9:17:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Posted by ar-15guy...
It is also adjustable via a set screw made into the front of it, to adjust the "feel" of its operation for each individual shooter.
View Quote

Set screws & defensive weapons don't mix IMHO (Paging Mr. Murphy...Paging Mr. Murphy...your law is calling).

The Oly Arms unit also looks heavier that the stock spring & recoil buffer. Needless weight on a "grab & go weapon" is a liability.

Just my take...
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 11:49:50 AM EDT
[#16]
This set screw is no liability; it is locked in, cannot be removed, and only rotates 4 full turns to begin with; further, the weapon functions no matter where it is positioned. As for the weight, the unit weighs just a few ounces more than the stock spring and buffer....and acceptable trade-off for something that keeps you on target better by smoothing out the recoil and overall action, dontcha think?
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 6:59:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm waiting for the Carbine version to be released by Olyarms. Pnuematic buffers don't use fluid. Recoil reduction, noise reduction, cyclic rate adjustibility.
I spoke with Olyarms about two weeks ago about the carbine version, and they were unsure when or even if they would produce a carbine version. [:(]
What space gun would be without one?
-Steve
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks AR15.com
I just tried out the lithium grease on the recoil spring drill, and it worked perfectly. It completely removed the 'sproingggk' sound. Afterwards, during cleaning I checked the spring and buffer for any unusual fouling, and found it normal.

Thanks to this board for the info(again!!)
Nuts{WoC}
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 6:29:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm waiting for the Carbine version to be released by Olyarms. Pnuematic buffers don't use fluid. Recoil reduction, noise reduction, cyclic rate adjustibility.
I spoke with Olyarms about two weeks ago about the carbine version, and they were unsure when or even if they would produce a carbine version. [:(]
What space gun would be without one?
-Steve
View Quote

Looks like AAC's version uses a recoil spring, but at least they have a carbine model.

[img]www.advanced-armament.com/images/manual.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 12:40:31 AM EDT
[#20]
For those who want to see it in action, check out:

[url]http://myweb.cableone.net/uziforme/M16-9mm.WMV[/url]

This is on Dave Hanlines 9mm rifle.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 11:19:19 AM EDT
[#21]
dead link
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 11:25:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
dead link
View Quote

Try it now and let me know if it works.

[url]http://myweb.cableone.net/uziforme/M16-9mm.WMV[/url]
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 7:40:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I spoke w/ an Oly rep @ the Monroe funshow this eve., & he told me that there's a pneumo-buffer at the factory that has gone through 40K rounds of FA fire, & is still going. He also told me that they are finalizing the design for a carbine version, but (naturally) won't release it until testing trials are successfully completed.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 7:01:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This set screw is no liability; it is locked in, cannot be removed,
View Quote

Paging Mr Murphy....  If there is a set screw it CAN come out.  Trust me - all it takes is a bad day at work and you'll see them come out...

As for the weight, the unit weighs just a few ounces more than the stock spring and buffer....and acceptable trade-off for something that keeps you on target better by smoothing out the recoil and overall action, dontcha think?
View Quote

No I don't.

I don't see where its a benefit at all.  Keep me on target better?  You gotta be kidding I can do that with just about any muzzle brake w/o a reduction in reliability nor an increase in weight.  Or I can do the same thing with a buttstock weight to increase the rifles weight; again without a loss of reliability.

Come on its a 5.56 do you really need to increase that 'smoothness'?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top