Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/2/2002 2:44:16 PM EDT
I just purchased a preban bushmaster car15.  im looking to buy some more uppers.  would the dissipator upper increase my effective shooting range because of the full site radius, or do i need to look at uppers with longer barrels?  Thanks for the info guys.

"Sooooon...it will be time tooo die"
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#1]
At the risk of splitting hairs and picking nits, effective range (exterior ballistics) is a factor of barrel length. Accuracy is impacted by site radius.

In general, a longer barrel will have a greater effective range than a shorter barrel because of the higher velocities achieved due to more complete buring of the propellent.

In short, if you want to shoot [i]farther[/i], get a longer barrel. If you want more [i]accuracy[/i], get a longer site radius or a scope.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 4:46:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Correct, no difference in effective range between the Dissipator and Shorty. They both have 16" barrels.

If you plan to use iron sights only, the added weight of the Dissipator may be worth it. If you plan to use optics of any type, the longer sight radius is wasted and the Shorty makes more sense.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 5:51:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been thinking about this same thing myself.  I think the ideal compromise would be a dissapator that was not an Hbar profile.  That way you would not have the extra weight, but you would have the extra protection and most importantly sight radius.  I have heard of gunsmiths just chopping off the front 4 inches of a 20 inch barrel and not impeding function, but I would personally rather have a separate gas block and sight base.  If you have a collapsable stock you may as well keep it the barrel a carbine length.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 6:07:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Bushmaster sells the Dissipator with a lightweight M4 barrel.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 3:46:05 AM EDT
[#5]
A longer sight radius does not make the weapon more accurate.  It does, however, make it easier to shoot more accurately.

I believe the optimum mix is a true Dissipator (with second gas block) with the LW barrel contour.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 4:32:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A longer sight radius does not make the weapon more accurate.  It does, however, make it easier to shoot more accurately.
View Quote

You're correct. I should have elaborated. You're even better at picking nits than me... [:)]
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 12:10:27 AM EDT
[#7]
With the Dissapator you still have the extra weight of the cutoff front sight tower in the middle of the barrel.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 7:37:38 AM EDT
[#8]
The shorty can be surprisingly accurate.  If you work at it, you can shoot as well as you need to.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top